X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems HD, BS1400, TS3650, Drill Press

I hope this helps people out there looking to buy these tools from Home Depot. Buying these tools from HD was like pulling teeth and just about as painful. I did return all these tools because I did not like my experience at HD and I had to fix problem after problem on the BS1400 bandsaw. I e-mailed Ridgid 3 weeks ago and have never heard back. Phone support is non technical. The TS3650 saw is pretty good once you get it all set up. Tip: Clean the top with candle oil then follow with Johnson Paste wax. Use parifin wax as a dry lube under. Set up can take several days or a full day because you need to adjust everything, sometimes twice. The problems: the tilt was very hard to crank over to 45. The floor model was the same way. After I aligned the blade I went back and loosened the center and right bolt of the front trunion bracket, cranked it to 45, slightly tightened the tilt handle, then re-tightened bolts. I found large Zinc filings in the trunion tracks where the cast iron trunion cut into the Zinc bracket. I used aluminum foil on the bottom of the wings as spacers to level them. The main table had a .008 dip in the center that tapered to each corner and the insert was bent in same way. Two legs were scratched in shipping, box was crushed on corners. Rails had rough anodized coating in some places. Difficult to set correct height on rear guide bar without mitre hitting or fence dragging. I think this is a nice saw for the money but does require some careful alignment. The fit and finish are good. I question and do not know if the settings will last very long. The BS1400 Bandsaw is a mess, some of these things were mentioned before. (1)The belt is too short, bottom door will not open fully to change blades. I think they also have the plastic blade guard on backwards. If you look at other saws, the guard does not have to be removed to change blades. I put on a 41" belt. I also redisigned the way the motor fastens to top by creating studs on motor and using rubber pad on top and rubber washer on bottom.(2) The wheels are not balanced, loosen top nut to balance top wheel, nut binds bearings. I used self adhesive car tire lead. (3) On the three units I tried, the wheels were non co-planer. The first two the bottom wheel was not out far enough by 1/4". You can not put a thrust bearing or spacer on the shaft because the shaft is already 1/4" to short and it is a very sloppy fit. (4) I had to switch out parts on three machines just to get one pretty good one but then the big problem hit which caused me to throw in the towel. BIG PROBLEM When you adjust the top blade guides at the upper most position and then drop it down to the table as if you were cutting 1/4" material. When you tighten the knob it kicks the guide out to the right about 1/4" and mine kicked it back about the same. This will not work. I looked at the floor model and it did the same thing. I looked at the Delta and it had reversed the position of the knob to the lower hole, I tried this but it made little differance. The drill press: I kept trying to check the alignment with a "Know" tool. I checked it from the back and the front and it was out by 1/32" at the bottom ???. I put a straight bar across the table and found a warp at the middle, will never drill straight, especially on short stock. Well thats my experience, hope it helps.

Sorry to hear all the trouble you had. Just a point of clarification....you said "I found large Zinc filings in the trunion tracks where the cast iron trunion cut into the Zinc bracket."....the trunnions are made of die cast zinc as far as I know.

Comment

It's always a real bummer when you have a negative tool experience but three bad tools at once, ouch. What brand and models of tools did you decide on to replace these three?
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by hewood:
        Sorry to hear all the trouble you had. Just a point of clarification....you said "I found large Zinc filings in the trunion tracks where the cast iron trunion cut into the Zinc bracket."....the trunnions are made of die cast zinc as far as I know.
        Yea I really wanted these to work, I had planned on getting the jointer and thickness planer too, but the lack of support and quality made me decide not to go any further with Ridgid. I really am gun shy now of tools made in China, but I am going to look at Grizzly, General, Delta and some of the others, we'll see. Delta has a 36-680 for a little more. I think parts and support are very important. I looked at the new sears but did not like the fence. I had the Herc-u-lift for the bandsaw and it was great. I am calling the cast iron piece the trunion that rotates from 90 to 45, and the zinc brackets that hold the trunion at both ends the tracks. The zinc bracket tracks is where the filings were, at the top of travel. I think the cast iron was trying to find a good seat in the zinc track and may have happened when it was very hard to crank over in the begining. I do not think it caused a problem, the tracks looked smooth, it was more shavings than filings, almost like when you plane a piece of wood.

Comment

Sorry to hear that you are having so many problems. I set up my ridgid BS(0ld model) last week. everything went well and seems OK.
          There is a post HERE that gives some fixes for several of the BS's problems. If you plan on keeping the saw the tips might help.
          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael:
            Sorry to hear that you are having so many problems. I set up my ridgid BS(0ld model) last week. everything went well and seems OK.
            There is a post HERE that gives some fixes for several of the BS's problems. If you plan on keeping the saw the tips might help.
            I noticed the lower bearing design with the two clip positions. I thought the factory may have installed it wrong, moving it over would have made the wheels co-planer.

Comment

[/qb][/QUOTE]Oh Yea, another problem I found with the BS1400 bandsaw is the table will not tilt to the full 45 angle because it hits something under the table. I only glanced at this a couple of times, the floor model had the same problem. I think it is hitting the finger bolt that tightens the blade guide? Oh Yea, another couple of problems I had with the drill press, it took two to make one pretty good one. (1) On the first one, the table support that rides up and down on the column was putting deep scratchs in the column, deep enough that over time it would be trashed not polished or smooth. I guess they forgot to remove the burrs on the casting. (2) The motor tilted back slightly, so when I leveled the pully's I placed a washer between the motor and bracket on the bottom bolts to level it.

[ 08-23-2004, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: rem ]

Comment

rem----sorry to hear about all the problems. Hope you get things resolved or can return the tools not working.

From your comments, you sound as though you have some experience with machinery. Regardless of how any of us feel about Ridgid tools, I think it's fair to say that expecting one brand to have each and every tool be a winner is simply asking for trouble. The same applies to Griz'----they have some very good tools and others that don't make the cut.

My only suggestion is to take your time and read some tool reviews to narrow down your choices. While you can always find someone on a forum, complaining about almost any tool, when you start seeing the same complaints over and over, there might be something to it. The Ridgid band saw is a perfect example of a tool with a lot of user complaints.
                Dave

Comment

Originally posted by daveferg:
                  rem----sorry to hear about all the problems. Hope you get things resolved or can return the tools not working.

From your comments, you sound as though you have some experience with machinery. Regardless of how any of us feel about Ridgid tools, I think it's fair to say that expecting one brand to have each and every tool be a winner is simply asking for trouble. The same applies to Griz'----they have some very good tools and others that don't make the cut.

My only suggestion is to take your time and read some tool reviews to narrow down your choices. While you can always find someone on a forum, complaining about almost any tool, when you start seeing the same complaints over and over, there might be something to it. The Ridgid band saw is a perfect example of a tool with a lot of user complaints.
                  Yea you are right, for some reason I lean toward a single brand to solve most needs. Maybe because it looks good or the ability to deal with one mfg. I dont know why but it seems to be something I hang on to. I should try to pick out the best each mfg. offers and not worry about matching, I'll try that, thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X