Air Compressor Gauge Size

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Compressor Gauge Size

This is probably a dumb question but here goes anyways. My small pancake compressor has a rear mounted(1/8") 1-1/2" diameter pressure gauge. I'm finding it more difficult these days distinguishing the pressure reading on that small of a gauge. I'm considering putting a 2", 2-1/2" or even a 3" diameter replacement gauge in place of the 1-1/2" diameter. Is this a feasible alternative or is there a reason why the smallish diameter gauge was used in the first place, other than a cost savings for the mfg? One reason for asking this question in the first place was that I couldn't find any 1/8" rear mount pressure gauges larger than 1-1/2" diameter which made me think that maybe there's a reason why?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

It likely was just a cost thing, the air doesn't care what size the gauge is. Just make sure the range is similar.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I agree with Mark, you may need an adapter but it should not be an issue.

Comment

From my experience and understanding (30 years in technical documentation with one of the largest compressor manufacturers), the physical size of a pressure gauge has no effect on the performance of the compressor. About the only effect would be that a larger gauge would perhaps take slightly more volume to initially pressurize and that would be a rather minute issue. The choice of a pressure gauge by the manufacturer is most likely based on performance, cost, or actual fitting within the design of the unit (asthetics, non-interference of operating mechanism because of size, and general functionality for the operator).

(Checking back with my Compressed Air and Gas Data I see no indication of specific requirements for pressure gauges based on size or output of an air compressor.)

I hope this helps,

CWS
        Last edited by CWSmith; 01-11-2017, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X