X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me

Well I just bought an 18 volt combo kit from HD,and the drill chuck is straight.. I am a recovering Millwalkee user {love the tools but the batterys are junk at best}.I am looking forward to putting these tools through the paces.Jim

nothing personal but you are the first person i have ever seen on this forum that has spoken negative of milwaukee. interesting! no disrespect intended. out of curiosity how old was your milwaukee?
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Don't get me wrong. It's not the tools but the batterys that just cost me to much money and time..With that said I have purchased two or three batterys in the last year and two have went south..
      I have had my Millwalkee combo kit since they showed up at HD, 02 I think? I have the three bay charger and the radio. I'm not he only one ,In my circle of friends most of whom are contractors as well ther are five sets of Millwalkee tools all was good for the first year..The bottom line for me is if it is going to cost me 100 to 150 a year to have a cordless tool that can be trusted I'm going to try something with a warrentee like the RIDGID brand. I just hope that they will give me the great life span as the Millwalkee tools have .
      I will end up buying more batterys for my Red tools .Now

Comment

Overpriced batteries have always been a problem. If I had it to do over again, I would go with 18V Ryobi. They have a new concept where all the tools are available bare (no charger or batteries). BUT batteries cost only $40 for a 2 pack. Sure they're probably mpt 2.0 or 2.4 Ah but your getting Ah capacity for less than half the price of everyone else. They don't have to cut any corners to offer batteries for that either. $20 is just the fair price for an 18V battery pack.

For what its worth, I was lambasted on this site for even suggesting that cordless tools would be better sold ala carte. Some didn't think the customer could handle buying a tool that didn't come with batteries and a charger. I guess Ryobi didn't think so.

Comment

sounds good to me.With the 3 year warrentee on the batterys it sold me.I would buy tool with out a battery if the price was right!!Jim

Comment

THe batteries are expensive because there is no competition. If dewalt fit milw and pc and makita and all around then they would be fairly priced. But if you own a makita, you are screwed into buying makita batteries.
            BTW, ryobi batteries are no bargain, they cost half but are only about half as good.
            www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

ryobi batteries are no bargain, they cost half but are only about half as good.
              No, they cost 1/4 as much. Most professional 18V batteries are $80 for ONE. So even if the only have 1/2 the capacity (lowest cell I'm aware of is 1.3 Ah), they still cost 1/2 as much per Ah.

Comment

I have both Milw and Ryobi cordless tools. The biggest differences I've had in the batteries are that the ryobi's lose there charge far quicker when not used. They are essentially dead after about 1 week of no use. The milwaukees are dead after about 3 weeks.
                On a full charge I get about 4 times the work done with the milw than the ryobi. For the occasional use the Ryobi makes sense, especially considering the cost of the battery. If you need your tool for long periods of use ryobi is not the way to go.
                www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Do you want to trade MILL batterys with me I would love to see them last three days of no use
                  I guess mine are just shot..Jim

Comment

I agree. I had a Makita for 10 years before the batteries went. I went to buy another battery but it was half the cost of the drill. So I bought the Milwaukee Lok Tor 14.4. Great drill but the Batts suck. One good thing though. I have a local electronics supplier and I can buy cells and rebuild them myself. There are some Torx screws holding the pack together. When they finally die I plan on making them a great batt.

Comment

I think everyone is forgetting that NiCad and other batteries can not be recharged forever, you get from 400 to 700 charges and then performance (ability to take and hold a charge, as well as run time) drops off really fast.

For those who use a cordless every day at work, I would say if you get a year out of a battery you are doing good.

Comment

You are right.I do use them almost daily but they just don't seem to last six months.so far the RIDGID batterys are working as they are claimed to.the charger is a big step in the right direction..Jim

Comment

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT:
                          WHAT BLOWS ME AWAY ABOUT ALL THE CORDLESS BATTERIES THAT I HAVE FROM EVERY MAJOR BRAND, IS THAT THE MONEY SPENT ON THE REPLACEMENT BATTERIES ARE APPROX. 1/2 THE COST OF A COMPLETE REPLACEMENT TOOL.
                          THERE HAVE BEEN TIMES WHEN I HAVE PURCHASED THE WHOLE TOOL AND JUST USED THE BATTERY. PRIME EXAMPLE WAS ROYOBI HAS A WET/ DRY "DUST BUSTER" 18 VOLT. WITH CHARGER, BATTERY AND TOOL FOR LESS THAN A REPLACEMENT BATTERY. OF COURSE THE VACS. ARE NOT IN THE SAME AREA AT H.D. AS THE CORDLESS TOOLS. YOU HAVE TO LOOK AND COMPARE. ANOTHER EXAMPLE WAS HOMELITE MAKES A 4 PACK OF GARDEN TOOLS. CHAIN SAW, HEDGE TRIMMER, POLE EXTENSION PRUNING SAW AND I FORGET THE LAST ONE. COMES WITH ALL 4 ITEMS AND 2 BATTERIES WITH CHARGER.$79. THESE ARE INTERCHANGEBLE WITH ROYOBI, MADE BY THE SAME PARENT CO. LAST EXAMPLE. RIDGID 12 VOLT DRILL WITH 2 BATTERIES, AND TWIN BAY CHARGER. $99.
                          LAST POINT IS HOW OFTEN DO WE CHANGE THE BATTERY IN OUR CARS/ TRUCK? 3-5 YEARS. THE COST, $40-$80. WHY CAN WE GET A BATTERY THAT LAST LONGER, PUTS OUT MORE POWER, AND COST LESS THAN A CORDLESS? TRY JUMP STARTING YOUR CAR WITH YOUR CORDLESS DRILL 1 DAY.
                          GOOD QUALITY CORDED TOOLS COST APROX. 1/2 THE PRICE OF A COMPRABLE CORDLESS TOOL. THE DIFFERENCE IS THE CORDED TOOL CAN SIT ON A SHELF FOREVER AND STILL WORK.
                          JUST MY THOUGHTS.

[ 01-18-2005, 04:30 AM: Message edited by: PLUMBER RICK ]

Comment

Rick, Part of the 'problem' from a consumers point of view is that these cordless tools are marketed to suck you into their system for cheap and then make most of the profit off repeat sales of expendable items which in the case of cordless tools is the batteries. It's the same marketing model used by desktop printer manufacturers, you get 'in' cheap with a printer for less than $150 then pay through the nose for ink cartridges at anywhere from $20 to 50 a pop.

Automotive lead/acid batteries are a totally different animal from NiCads and other types used for cordless tools, much cheaper to produce and the bettery does not break down internally as fast as a NiCad.

Comment

if youre using cordless tools every time, then you should be ready to spend money for those batteries.. theres no such thing as batteries that last forever..

Comment

Working...
                              X