Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won't idle down

Hey Guys!
    Just signed here because I'm stuck! Got a call to service a Rigid RD906812B 6800W generator. It has a 5/9/13 build date and was bought in late '14. It was used twice and has been sitting ever since. I cleaned the carb and flushed the tank and it started right up and runs great....except the idle down doesn't work! It was about to come a downpour, so I decided to call it a day and do some research to see if anybody else has seen this problem. I haven't pulled the panel yet, but the plunger on the actuator solenoid felt awfully loose. This thing probably has less than 10 hours on it. Anybody got any insight about where to start troubleshooting?

4 days and no response! (

Comment

I know nothing about the machine, (my welder has a idle back system) there is a sensor, and a silnode on it, and a linkage to the carburetor, so my guess is that is where the problem is, unless there is some leakage and the machine is not seeing the no power situation,

Last edited by BHD; 03-11-2017, 08:26 PM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

look at this similar post. doctordeere will know the answer.

https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/po...n-for-the-post

Rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

First, you say the plunger on the idle down solenoid feels loose... that's perfectly normal.
          Have you verified that the generator is producing power properly? 240 volts at the 30A twistlock? The idle-down circuitry works off gen power, so if it's not producing power properly it won't work. if it's not, you need to diagnose why the generator isn't producing power. If it is, your next step is to have it running and flip the idle switch off & on while watching the solenoid. if the solenoid pulls in when you turn the switch on, the circuit is working properly and you need to look for a mechanical problem in the governor linkage. if it's not, you need to verify voltage at the solenoid connector with a DVM. If there's no voltage, you've probably got a bad control module. That's bad news, because the module, part# 790049001, is no longer available for replacement.
          "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

I know this is an older post. I just came across the same situation. It worked great yesterday, then today it stayed running as if the switch to idle down was off. Zero voltage from the idle control card to the solenoid. Zero movement from solenoid when switch is toggled. No replacment cards available anywhere online or through Ridgid directly. Called a few local Ridgid certified service centers with no luck. One suggested contacting a circuit board repair shop to see if the idle control card can be salvaged. Is there really no options to get the ?Idle Down Technology? repaired?? Even when they are still being sold?? Has anyone figured out a solution at all? Am I really just stuck with a $1000 loud teeth chattering generator during minimal wattage draw?

Comment

if there is any power draw the generator should be full rpm, If it is not an inverter type generator, and I do not think that one is an inverter generator,

even a night light should kick it up to full rpm,
              during minimal wattage draw?
              the RPM controls the cycles, and on many items if the cycles are not correct it will damage electronics, cause motors to run slow and overheat, and so on, and starting many devices on the low or below 60 cycles and when the generator is not spinning fast enough to give full amps can be damaging on heavy draw items, (compressors) refrigerator and freezers, and such,

I know when I sue my welder for a power source, and have it idle down, grinders chop saws, small air compressors have a struggle to operate correctly until the welder is full RPM, and on the air compressor many times it will klick it over load and shut itself down, so 99% of the time I don't use the idle down feature on the welder if I am needing AC power,

I really don't know why they would even offer the idle down besides as a selling point as if any power is drawn it should be at rated full RPMs,

I can kinds of see it on a job site, making a saw cut here and then ten mins later do it again, but to run a house off of it I would want it at fast idle (no load) than slowing down, because so much things to day have electronics and minal excess capacity in there construction for low voltage and cycles,
              Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
              attributed to Samuel Johnson
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Generator Fixer Uper View Post
                ... Is there really no options to get the ?Idle Down Technology? repaired?? Even when they are still being sold??
                The OP in this old thread has a RD906812B, which has been out of production for several years. The idle control board for it is part# 790049001, which is no longer available.

The current version of the generator is RD906814P. The idle control board for it is part# 790049002, which is currently still available. Gardner (and other sources) have them in stock and available for purchase.

Is 790049002 backwards compatible with 790049001? I haven't a clue since I haven't been a servicing agent for Ridgid (TTI) power equipment for a few years now. But even if it isn't a direct fit replacement, the circuitry is probably the same or similar and probably will work if adapted by a qualified generator tech.
                Last edited by Doctordeere; 09-15-2018, 09:15 AM.
                "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Working...
                X