Tri-Stack Compressor Start Capacitor and Circuit breaker wiring

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tri-Stack Compressor Start Capacitor and Circuit breaker wiring

I bought a brand new shelf model tri stack compressor from home depot for 40 dollars. Reason it was so cheap is that they were no longer carrying the compressor and this particular shelf unit did not have the start capacitor and circuit breaker w/cover. I figured for 40 dollars and about 25 dollars in parts I could have a really nice compressor so I bought it with the cover and capacitor removed. Well I bought a new cover with circuit reset button along with a new capacitor from ereplacement parts and do not know what wires to hook up where. I have 2 red wires and 2 black wires coming out of the compressor motor. Anyone know what order I hook the wires to? the circuit breaker i thought maybe both black wires went to it and the capacitor both red wires. I tried what I thought was right and the capacitor got hot.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20170408_145001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	690.1 KB
ID:	716488
    Last edited by flavtfan; 04-08-2017, 04:53 PM.

I don't know a thing about your particular compressor motor, but my guess is your missing a few wires. Most capacitors have more than one spade connector on each post and wires that should be on the overload probably doubled up with some of the wires you show in your picture. You need the schematic for that starting circuit to figure it out. Not all motors are created equal.

Warning: Capacitors not only get hot. They can also blow up like a cherry bomb.

Comment

This is the best i could find for you. doesn't have the wiring schematic, but is a start. i too would have thought that the black with the flag connectors would also be for the circuit breaker. i guess you might need to see if a forum member has that model and can take a peek.

https://cdn2.ridgid.com/resources/me...&type=document

Rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        This is the best i could find for you. doesn't have the wiring schematic, but is a start. i too would have thought that the black with the flag connectors would also be for the circuit breaker. i guess you might need to see if a forum member has that model and can take a peek.

https://cdn2.ridgid.com/resources/me...&type=document

Rick.
        thanks yeah that's what I'm hoping....the ole Chinese wire diagram lol. When you don't know look at the same one that is all put together. The diagram link you posted is what I used to order the new capacitor and cover with switch. That said when looking at other diagrams it appears these are the only wires that come out of the unit into the circuit switch and the capacitor and the part number capacitor that I got as well as the new cover with the switch only has a place to hook up 4 wires. You just can't really see the color or the wire ends. The 2 black wires with the flag connectors is what originally led me to think the black black wires hook into the circuit switch due to the way it was mounted and the way the connectors were at 90 degrees.
        Last edited by flavtfan; 04-10-2017, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

looks like i'll just take it to the ridgid service center...bummer. was hoping someone had one that could open the cover and take a look.

Comment

• Mightyservant
              Mightyservant commented
              Editing a comment
              Never even knew this existed, pretty great compressor setup, hope you get it going!

What's the model number ? I think my son has one and can ask him for a picture

Comment

Working...
            X