Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650

Fellow joiners....
    Can someone give me some kind of input to treat the table of my saw (re: humidity) have noticed the table getting a stain (pre-rust) marks due to the moisture, de-humidifier doesn't seem to cut it, need something that doesn't collect any dust ect.
    Regards
    TJ.

I was using Bostic top cote but that does not even last a week, makes a nice slick surface when using the tool but every time I would turn up the heat I could see rust begin to form. I put a coat of Johnsons paste wax on it about a month ago and still no rust. There are fancier chemicals on the market that are supposed to be better like the Bosheild products but Wax is easy to find, lasts forever in the can and will not harm you if you get any on your skin, works for me and it looks like we are in roughly the same climate

Comment

I also use Johnsons paste wax about once a month. Works great. [img]smile.gif[/img]
      Lorax
      "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

I like paste wax and if you are in a garage, non heater, put a cover, towel, anything to keep moisture from collecting on it.
        Steve

Comment

Thanks wbrooks,Lorax,SCWood...
          looks like Johnsons wax is the way to treat table top,I will try and update you all later.
          Regards
          T.J.

Comment

Should this be used in conjunction with steel wool?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Lorax:
            I also use Johnsons paste wax about once a month. Works great. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Mabey too late to help but I've used Mothers paste wax for years. Once a month does it. Mine looks like new and slides like silk. Mothers is an automotive wax.
              Good Luck

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lgldsr:
                [QB] Should this be used in conjunction with steel wool?

Thanks!

You can use #0000 steel wool or a green scrub pad to remove any rust, but I just use a soft rag to apply and buff the wax.
                Lorax

Comment

A big key is what someone mentioned above. Put some kind of cover over it and keep the cover flat to the table. I struggled with rust no matter what I used until I put canvas over it.

Comment

CO2BOB,
                    Don't use automotive wax! I have read about this in all Table Saw books...and darn it, I can't remember why. I think it has somethign to do with one auto wax component that'll rub off on the wood and prevent the finish from adhering to it.

SUbbu

Comment

Originally posted by subbu:
                      CO2BOB,
                      Don't use automotive wax! I have read about this in all Table Saw books...and darn it, I can't remember why.
                      Generally speaking, automotive waxes contain silicon. The silicon can rub off on your wood and can wreck your finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Darrell:
                        </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by subbu:
                        CO2BOB,
                        Don't use automotive wax! I have read about this in all Table Saw books...and darn it, I can't remember why.
                        Generally speaking, automotive waxes contain silicon. The silicon can rub off on your wood and can wreck your finish. </font>[/QUOTE]This is true. However, Johnson's paste wax is nearly pure carnuba. I concur with the others. Johnson paste wax or any pure carnuba wax will work great.

Oh, and hello everyone [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis:

Hello yourself and welcome to our little forum.
                          By the way, do you know a Corporal Butthead? [img]tongue.gif[/img] You knew that was coming sooner or later, so I thought I would just get it out of the way.
                          Lorax

Comment

Originally posted by Lorax:
                            </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sgt Beavis:

Hello yourself and welcome to our little forum.
                            By the way, do you know a Corporal Butthead? [img]tongue.gif[/img] You knew that was coming sooner or later, so I thought I would just get it out of the way.
                            </font>[/QUOTE]No no no no. He's not a Corporal. He's a MAJOR Butthead.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis:

No no no no. He's not a Corporal. He's a MAJOR Butthead.
                              I didn't realize my former boss had moved to Texas! [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                              Lorax

Comment

Working...
                              X