X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• impact drivers

ok think every one here knows i dont use cordless tools very much.so i am nieave about them there is a lot of talk about these impact drivers i know i have impact guns for lag bolts and auto work(air powered)but i have never used one to drive scewes i have alwaysed used a cordless drill what are the pros and cons of such a tool for wood work?
    9/11/01, never forget.

I have had mine for about 2 months now and I find that I use it for more things than I originally intended (deck screws and lag bolts). It is so light and powerful that I have used it for removing an exhaust system on a car. Installing an audio system (remove seat belt retainers install speakers etc). The battery impact gun behaves somewhat different than my air gun as well. It behaves like a fast varriable speed drill (0-2800) until it encounters enough resistance to merrit starting to hammer. I am not sure what the exact torque level is when the impact kicks in but it will drive a 3" deck screw at least half way before the hammer starts. It takes some getting used to but I am really starting to like it for just about everything. I have not bothered trying to use it for drilling holes but I have seen it done on TV by Mike Holmes (seemed to work just fine)

Comment

wont the hammer start to snap the fasters?could i just use my cordless hammer drill and get the same results?i really don't know so you all can stop laughing at me now
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Not laughin at ya, it's with ya!
        Before I got mine I thought it would be a rather useless tool. The 'hammer' on these tools works as a rotational force like an automotive air gun. Your 'hammer' drill is an 'in/out' motion and would likely bounce the drill-driver tip out of the screw.
        I have not broken a single screw with the impact driver yet not even a #6, guess you could easy enough if you bury it deep enough.
        Now here is the really cool part about an impact driver, when you use a drill to drive screws you are applying a continuous force to the head of the screw and as the torque increases the driver bit tends to slip out of the screw head. With an impact gun it uses quick blows to drive the screw and reseats itself firmly in the screw head after each blow. How many bits would you round off on a typical deck? 2 or 3? I have used the same Robertson bit for 2 months now, done two decks amoungst other stuff - a 10X16 and a 20X30, the bit still looks new.
        Another really nice thing is driving lags, when a lag jams the entire torque of the drill tends to slam your hand against the nearest joist, there is almost no torque transmitted to your hand with the impact driver and the torque is incredible for the size/wieght. My 18V drill is 510 in-lb the 14.4 impact is 1400 in-LB.
        I would suggest you go to HD and ask to play with one, they usually have a tester setup at the HD's around here, spend 15-20 minutes playing with it and I bet you buy it. If they don't have a tester you can always bring it back within 90 days (Ridgid) if you don't like it.
        My only complaint is that they only come with 1 battery, you will need 2 if you intend to use it

Comment

EVEN MORE IMPRESSIVE IS USING THEM TO DRILL HOLES. I WATCHED AS THE POWER CO. WAS ON A POLE AND NEEDED TO DRILL ALL THE WAY THROUGH IT FOR A NEW CROSS MEMBER TO BE BOLTED. APPROX. 3/4'' SHIP AUGER X 12'' DEPTH. THEY TAPPED INTO THE FREE POWER AND RAN THIS SHIP AUGER BIT WHILE 35' UP IN THE AIR. NO TORQUE TO TWIST YOUR ARMS. NEED TO PURCHASE A 1/2'' DRIVE IMPACT CHUCK. APPROX. 50.00 WISH I HAD IT WHEN DRILLING 4 5/8'' SELF FEED BITS FOR 4'' WASTE STACKS.
          I PERSONALLY OWN A 3/4'' ELCTRIC MAKITA FOR THE BIG TRUCK LUG NUTS, 2- 1/2'' BLACK AND DECKER/ DEWALT ELECTRICS, A 1/2'' BATTERY 19.2 VOLT. AND 2- 14 VOLT 1/4'' INSERT BIT DRIVERS. THESE HAVE A BUILT IN LED LIGHT. VERY HANDY WHEN WORKING IN TIGHT SPACES. I ALWAYS USE THE CORDLESS WHENEVER POSSIBLE. EVEN TO DRIVE 3/8'' LAG BOLTS TO STRAP HEATERS.

Comment

Working...
          X