Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power screwdriver: Any recommendations?

I am looking for a new power screwdriver. Anyone has any recommendations?

I saw one made by Dewalt for about $99. Is this unit any good. And what makes the dewalt much better than others to justify the cost?

- Jimmy

I have a milwaukee and like dewalt it is pricey. I learned the hard way why the cost is justified, I previously had a craftsman(a gift) and some very very cheap off brand. Both would lose peak power quickly and were useless in less than two years even with a new battery. My milwaukee is about 4 years old and works as good as new after being dropped dozens of times. I've used makitas many times and those seemed to be of equal quality as milwaukee.
    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I have a Sill with replaceble batteries (Gift) and it is the most gutless thing I have. Got a Ryobi 3.6 volt and it is working very well. If I need something more or bigger I get a Drill/Driver out.I had an offbreed one for about 8 or 9 years and I loved it, but it died when the battery smoked. Rick

Comment

what is an example of a drill/driver? Would my craftman 12V cordless drill considered a drill/driver? or are u referring to something like a Dewalt cordless drill?

Can u please clarify?

Comment

I would consider any 9,6 volt or lighter a Drill/Driver (capable of both without being to heavy). Would you not agree? Just my nickels worth this A.M. Rick

Comment

I would consider any cordless, or corded for that matter, drill that has multiple clutch settings and speed adjustment to be a drill/driver. The lighter weight of the 9.6V and smaller models would make them more desireable for driving/screwing.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thank you for your input B Dave. You put it like I attempted to. I just did not put all my thoughts in the responce. Rick

Comment

If your looking for a corded srugun ,well the dw268 is a very good one. or the milwk.6793-1 is good. cordless thats a toss up . milw.0514-20. dw ,well for home use dw972 .or even the new ridgid for home use should be good.

Comment

Well I'll throw a recommendation into the ring. Metabo makes a mean little 4.8v screwdriver. And don't let the small voltage fool you it is a serious machine. Comes with a clutch, spare battery (2hr. charger), a spindle lock for manual tightening/loosening (where necessary) kit box to hold eveything in and some kits come with a flashlight attachment. I really like mine. Oh and to put it into perspective it will drive apx. 240 8 x 1 1/4" screws. It's called the Power grip, model # 02410

Comment

oh and keep in mind that the metabo screwdriver I meantioned is only a power screwdriver, not a full fledged drill.

Comment

Working...
                    X