Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Which ROS do you guys have and which on would you buy?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which ROS do you guys have and which on would you buy?

I'm looking for a good ROS, Just looking for some of your guys input. I'm looking at.... Porter Cable..Ridgid,and can't think who else is out there? I like the ones i listed one reason is they have a case and 5". So if you could please give me your input it will help alot. Thanks Alot...tool lover

I have a Ridgid. The feature I like the best is the variable speed. The only thing I don't like about it is the fact it isn't very difficult to turn it off while you are trying using it. I have used it for drywall sanding by hooking it up to my Ridgid shop vac with great success.

DeWalt also makes one. It isn't variable, but vitually impossible to turn it off by accident.

Comment

I wouldn't. Never understood the use for them. I have never personally owned one, I have Used one, old neighbor before i got my TS. He did not have a TS, he had a ROS. I personally do not understand the purpose if you have a GOOD TS. I would recommend a 10 or 12 inch sliding compound miter saw over a ROS.

One of the big draw backs of them as i understand them is that they are near impossible to keep square.

I honestly have no idea what they would be used for that a table saw and/or CMS can not do. But I am semi new at all this and could be wrong. I just know for me there are Several other things I would get before i even THOUGHT about a RAS.

My Two Cents
      \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Space,
        I think your thinking of RAS. Radial Arm Saw. He is talking of ROS, Random Orbital Sander.

I like my Dewalt. I've had it for about 7 yrs and not a problem with it. I use it all the time. Shop vac hooks right to it for dc. Great lttle tool. Though if I had the PC, I would probably say that I like that as well. My Dewalt is the only one that I have used. My suggestion is to find one that is comfortable to use and has all the do hickeys that you are looking for, such as dc.

Jim

Comment

[Space in Emily Latilia mode]Oh, Nevermind... [/Space in Emily Latila mode]

I've had the Porter-Cable ROS for several years. I think they are all going to do the samething for you. What sold me was the way it fit in hand, a long flexible cord that stays out of the way, and a small enough profile that you can get into somewhat tight places.
          Steve
          www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Porter-Cable 333 here also. Others swear by their variable speed ROS's but I've never seen a need for that feature. Of course, I've never had that feature either. [img]smile.gif[/img]

You said that the PC and the Ridgid come with cases and you liked the idea of a case. When I bought my PC, the only "case" I got was the cardboard box it came in. Unless PC has started to include a case recently, you might want to double check that. That being said, the lack of a cheap plastic case would be a silly reason to rule out the possible purchase of a better performing tool over one that in the end you won't be happy with with. (That last comment was just a general statement about purchasing any tool and not aimed at any particular manufacturer or tool.)
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by badgerdave: Porter-Cable 333 here also.
              That's the model. I couldn't remember the number. Mine didn't have a case, either, and I'd never use it if I had one. All my stuff lives on shelves under the workbench for easy access when I want it. I just don't want to mess wiht a case. My Ryobi 18V circular saw, for instance, needs to have the depth reset to fit back in the box. Most of my cases are stored, somewhere...

When I got mine 6-8 years ago, the P-C 333 was king of the hill. All the reviews and testing had it at the top and a best buy. I don't know if there is anything better out there now, but I have no regrets whatsoever. Quality is great, and like I said, ergonomics are perfect for me. Go try some in your hand somewhere. See how it feels when you are moving your arm through typical sanding motions. Don't neglect the importance of a good flexible cord, either. If it is a cheap, stiff, vinyl cord that hangs up on the end of the board at every stroke, you will quickly find it frustrating.
              Steve
              www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

After using a Makita a couple of years ago, I had to have a ROS. Terrific tool IMO, and I went shopping. At the time, I simply couldn't afford the Makita and ended up buying a Ryobi VS-ROS for $50. Now the Makita was about a year old, but none-the-less, I was happily surprised to find that the Ryobi was quieter and did a much better job of dust containment. When Ridgid introduced their new line of tools a few months later, I purchased their 5-inch VS-ROS, simply because it had a limited lifetime service warranty at the time. I like the Ryobi, and using it as much I was at the time, I figured I'd eventually burn the thing out and the Ridgid offer at the time seemed to be a great investment.

Well, a couple of years later I still have them both, use them quite a bit and find both very favorable machines. The Ridgid has some advantage in that I like the slightly longer cord and stronger feeling motor. The Ridgid has auto-stop brushes (if it ever comes to wearing out the brushes), a nicer cord package with lighted plug and integral velcro cord wrap and about 12 ft. long. The unit also comes with two pads (one for hook & loop and one for adhesive mounting. These are both complete pads and offer an advantage over the adhesive backed conversion pad of the Ryobi, which I don't like. The case is also very nice for guys like me, who prefer a case when transporting or simply storing. I'd love to have a shop where I can keep my tools always handy, but until that happens, a good case is essential.

Overall, I find the 5-inch Ridgid ROS to be very well built and a joy to use. It is comfortable to use and can easily be handled with one or two hands. It does the job very well. You might also want to take into consideration that Ridgid recently returned its "limited lifetime service" agreement, so an investment in this tool will pretty much guarantee you'll always get service and replacement parts without additional expense (beyond shipping fees, anyway).

It depends on the job I suppose, but I couldn't see an advantage of buying Ridgid's larger ROS, which is substantially more expensive than the 5-inch. Of course, that's my homeowner and hobby type work and not some day-to-day, make a living need.

CWS

Comment

Two of the porter cable ROS's come with cases, it shows and says it on the PC web site.

Comment

Ya, I like the RIDGID because of the lighted end plug and the 3amp motor. What would be good about a pos having the lower starting ORBITS PER MINUTE like...Makita 4,000-12,000 OPM verses RIDGID 7,000-12,000 OPM? Does anyone know??

Comment

Tool lover

Personally I’d shy away from the PC333VS, I had one that only lasted two years and I cleaned it after every use by vacuuming followed by compressed air. The only complaint other than dying was the onboard dust collection left a lot to be desired, other than that it was comfortable to use and did a great job. I replaced it with the Makita BO5021K, it also works great, has much better built-in dust collection and appears to be slightly more aggressive than the PC but I find that the longer handle is sometimes more cumbersome in restricted places than the palm only models. I also have and really enjoy a Bosch 3727 6” ROS and it is in a different league when it comes to stock removal than the 5” models. If I were to purchase a 5” today it would probably be the Bosch 1295DVSK. As to your OPM question, slowing down simply removes stock less quickly, I have found myself slowing the speed on the final grit on items that I desire a super smooth finish, if it does any good or not is up to debate but I doubt you would be able to tell much difference between the 4K and 7K minimum speed settings.

Woodslayer

Comment

Hi All

The RIDGED 5” ROS is a very good buy, I have had one for about 7 months and have been very pleased with it.
                        I don’t use the variable speed much and have set it to just over half power, I have got very good results at this speed, when sanding solid oak and also oak chip board, and it does not leave any swirls (unless I make a mistake when using it)
                        I like the long power cord and the fact that it comes with a spare base for stick on sanding disks.
                        Also the dust extraction works pretty well, and sends a lot of dust into the dust bag (unlike my dewalt sander that doesn’t work at all).
                        The case is strong and compact and a nice feature with it is that there is storage in the bottom for packs of sanding disks, so there is not much chance of not being able to finding your disks when you need them.
                        The Ridgid sander also has a lower center of gravity and is a little shorter than some of the other sanders mentioned above, so it’s better for getting in to tight spaces, which was one of my main considerations when I was about to purchase one.

Thanks for reading this…GraySkin…

[ 05-03-2005, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: Grayskin ]

Comment

I have the Ridgid 6" R2610 and it produces an excellent finish. I especially like the ability to change the orbit size depending on the type of work you are doing. 1/4" for fast removal and 1/8" for fine finish. Truth be known you still can't beat the finish from a $5 chunk of steel known as a cabinet scraper .... unless you happen to have a Norris smoother

Comment

My sincere apologies. I THOUGHT it said RAS.

ROS i own the makita and am very pleased with it. it had gotten the highest ratings in several woodworking magazines several years in a row. I am wanting to pick up a larger one here soon and i am between the ridgid and the milwaukee. I like the makita and i am sure it is great, i do have a lot of makita tools but i am kind of boycotting them! they have one unsafe tool i had issues with. I brought it to their attention, and to this date they have done nothing to fix it (this was 4 or so years ago) So as much as I like what i currently have by them, i will not give makita another dime in tools until they fix this safety issue
                            \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

I use 2 Porter Cable 333vs. Would not purchase a non-vs modle hand sander.
                              I've used Makita, Dewalt, Ryobi and Metabo. By far, you will achieve the best results with Metabo. But you will pay for it. It's a "Finish" Sander, not a material remover.
                              I could go on about how to machine sand, but 2 simple facts. Grit, and presure. Learn how to combine the 2, and most any sander will suit your needs.

Woody
                              John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Working...
                              X