Bandsaw advise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandsaw advise

Here is my problem. I am looking at getting as bandsaw, I am fairly new to woodworking and not sure how much I will need it. I do know I need it to resaw up to about 3" and cut a few gentle curve in 3/4" think material.
    I am looking at the Rigid, looking real good because of price and financing at HD, or the Grizzly. What I was wondering it worth the extra $100 to go from the 3/4 HP to the 1 HP Grizzly?
    Any advise would be appreciated.

Scott

I HAVE THE RIDGID SAW. FOR WHAT YOU PLAN ON CUTTING THE EXTRA POWER YOUR NOT GOING TO NOTICE.
    REMEMBER THE RIDGID NOW COMES WITH A LIFETIME WARRANTY. A REAL BONUS.
    BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT THAT H.D FINANCING. YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE YOU PAY IT BEFORE THE DUE DATE (6-12 MONTHS). OTHERWISE THE FINANCING WILL BE APPROX. 20% FROM DAY 1. I SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE. THE BILLING IS NOT STRAIGHT FOWARD. THE FRONT OF THE BILL WILL SHOW NOTHING DUE AT THIS TIME. THE LAST PAGE WILL SHOW SPECIAL FINANCING DEALS. THIS WILL BE DUE AND WILL NOT SHOW ON THE FRONT PAGE AT THE TOP, MOST OBVIOUS SPOT. WAS 3 DAYS LATE BEFORE I CAUGHT THIS. THEY WANTED $70. FOR THAT OVERSIGHT.
    THE AMAZING THING IS THAT THE SPECIAL SERVICES COUNTER ALONG WITH STORE MANAGER AND ASST. MGR. ALSO DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING DUE. THOUHT I OWED NOTHING TOO. I THEN PAYED OFF THE 7 OTHER SPECIAL FINANCING DEALS AND CANCELLED THE CARD. PS. THEY WAIVED THE $70.
    MORAL OF THE STORY IS TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE FREE FINANCING OFFER, BUT DON'T LET THEM TAKE ADVANTAGE OF YOU.

Comment

If you've narrowed your decision to choosing between the Grizz and the Ridgid take into consideration the what is important to you. On the Ridgid side you've got that lifetime service agreement with a fairly decent basic bandsaw.

On the Grizzly side (I presume your talking about the "Ultimate Band Saw, I don't remember the number) you're looking at the addition of not just the extra HP, but also pretty decent fence, two-speeds, ball-bearing blade guides, and a fairly decent looking base. But you also have the negative of having to pay shipping.

With regard to financing, the HD deal is good, but as Plumber Rick rightly points out you've always got to watch that "fine print". All too often, the really good deals can be quite deceptive.

CWS

[ 05-29-2005, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: CWSmith ]

Comment

Well, first, the lifetime warranty isn't going to help one bit with resawing nor will it help with parts/tollerances that are just not beafy enough for the saw.

I would agree that the 1/4 more hp isn't going to be noticable, but better machining/balance of parts/alignment will.

If you're new to ww'ing, while you'll get different opinions on this----I'd ask if you really need a bandsaw? To do gentle curves in 3/4" stock, a decent hand-held jig saw does a great job.

The Ridgid is a decent, "light-duty" band saw, but for re-sawing accurately, you need a saw that is going to have a solid blade track, that doesn't wander under load and has enough beaf to get through hardwoods, etc.

If it were me, however, I'd get a good jig saw now, and save up for one of the better band saws.
        Dave

Comment

Scott,

If you are only going to be resawing 3" boards, that can be done quite easily on a tablesaw. If you have a tablesaw, I'd agree with Dave and just get a jigsaw to handle the curves.

A jigsaw will not be a wasted investment even if you get a bandsaw later since you will need it to make cuts on the inside of pieces.

Bob R

Comment

Get the Grizzly!

Comment

Hey all thanks for the advise. I had not thought about resawing with the table saw and will give that a try on some scraps.
              I have a good jigsaw, but it seems the wife has given me the go ahead to look for and purchase a band and who would not follow that advice.
              I guess I was looking at the Rigid and buying a good fence or the Grizzly (G0555 The Ultimate 14" Bandsaw) and hoping I would not need to get the fence.
              So if you had the choice which would you do?

Scott

Comment

Scott,

I believe the Grizz comes with a pretty decent fence. If I were to choose, based on what I know at the moment, I'd pick the Grizz. Perhaps it would be nice to have one of the bigger bandsaws, but that's a lot more money than I need to spend based on my perception of the work that I'd do with it.

CWS

Comment

Scott,

Please forgive me for even suggesting that resawing a 3" board could be done on a TS. This is a very dangerous operation and unless you have years of experience, it should not be attempted even with a jig. [img]smile.gif[/img] (You do have to be very careful doing it). Since the wife has given her blessing for a new tool, I'd choose the Griz over the Ridgid.

I don't have any experience with either (I have a Delta), but have heard from a lot of people that are very satisfied with the Griz. I've also heard that the Ridgid is a little under-powered. Either of them would easily handle 3" boards, but you may want to try something larger that 3" someday.

Bob R

Comment

Working...
                  X