X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid corded saws?

I'm in the middle of complete remodel of my house and I want to buy some of my own tools (instead of borrowing). I need a circular saw, jig saw, and reciprocating saw. For the amount of work that I'm doing (moderate to heavy homeowner stuff) I've been happy with the Ridgid products I own. I haven't heard much about these saws, but I'd like to know if there are any red flags before I buy. Thanks.

Well I am glad you are considering buying the corded ones and not the cordless. You just can't go wrong with the corded tools. I have the reciprocating saw by Ridgid and I like it very much. I will be buying a circ. saw along with a jig saw soon as well. I hear a lot of good news with Bosch jig saws and I will have to try it along with the Ridgid model to see which one I will get. Every tool I have is Ridgid but I don't want to buy tools because of a name especially when I know there is another one better at the same price. The circ. saw will be Ridgid since I now use (borrowed) Skill circ. saw and that works fine so getting a better one won't be hard to beat.
    I don't have any red flags just the green ones. Meaning go ahead and buy which ever one you find comfortable in your hands and in your pocket.
    Are you Rapture ready? Know Jesus Christ or know his enemy!

Comment

My circular is PC, my Recip.Corded is Craftsman(21yo) My cordless Recip. Is Ryobi. My jig saw(corded) is RIDGID and I love it. Variable oscillation, var.Speed, Dust port, Toolless blade change. Great saw. Replaced a 24yo craftsman that went belly up.
      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Overall, the Ridgid corded tools have received pretty good reviews so chances are you won't be disappointed if you go that route. Of the 3 tools you listed though, Ridgid wouldn't be at the top of my list for any of them.

Whenever the subject of recip. saws comes up Milwaukee usually tops the list of most people. You can use and abuse their saws and they always just keep on going.

There are so many high quality well engineered circular saws out there its pretty hard not to find a good one. Brands like Porter-Cable, Milwaukee, DeWalt and Ridgid all make good ones.

The Ridgid jigsaw is a very capable tool but I feel is priced a little on the high side. The Ridgid will probably be a good saw for you but take a look at the Freud FJ85. The Freud is every bit as good as the Ridgid or the Bosch but can usually be found for between $100-$110.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I would definitely pass on a Craftsman. I bought a Craftsman and the first time I used it (which was about a month later) sawing down the side of a doorway after trim was removed..sawing only the shims and finish nails.... second set of shims the blade went flying and it nearly stuck me into the door. The entire blade holding system was plastic. Snapped right off. I took it back and they said that it was no longer made. I told them Geee... I wonder why. The upgraded me to their latest model .......We will see, I have another door to change out in a week or so. I may be getting a Milwaukee soon!
          Corey
          \"If it ain\'t broke, you just aren\'t trying hard enough!\"

Comment

DON'T do craftsman. Would go with Ridgid. Haven't heard anything bad about those saws. In fact, when my Craftsman jig saw wears out, I will look into Ridgid.
            <a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/buctooth\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/buctooth</a><br />Please tell us how you like the site, even if you hate it. If you want, feel free to visit the forum.

Comment

I think that you will be very happy with the Ridgid corded circ saw and jig saw. Don't know if the corded recip saw has the same problems as the cordless.

I don't use these Ridgid tools but only because I already had the best of these in other brands before Ridgid's came out. I have a Porter-Cable recip saw, Milwaukee Tilt-Lok circ saw (Arr! Arr! Arr!) and Bosch jig saw. I tend to buy the best in my budget regardless of brand. Some brands make some tools better than other brands. But like I said, I like the quality of the Ridgid circ saw and jig saw. They would be serious contenders if I had to replace those corded tools.

Comment

If you are planning on doing a lot of remodel go with the milwaukee sawzall. best out there and you can not beat the price for the quality
                \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Seen Milwakee in use and very good. Wish I had the money.
                  <a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/buctooth\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/buctooth</a><br />Please tell us how you like the site, even if you hate it. If you want, feel free to visit the forum.

Comment

buctooth, when I was 13 and decided that my allowance, 50¢ a week , wasn't enough money to satisfy my wants, I got a paper route.

Comment

Originally posted by badgerdave:
                      buctooth, when I was 13 and decided that my allowance, 50¢ a week , wasn't enough money to satisfy my wants, I got a paper route.
                      Me too! 50 (hey, my keyboard don't got a "cents sign") and a paper route. Of course back then 50 cents would get you in to the Saturday matinee (Wolfman, Dracula, Godzilla, The Mummy etc. etc.) and a box of popcorn. Man do I feel old now!
                      Lorax
                      "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Lorax,

Hold Alt Key Down and type 0162 = ¢

Comment

I'm working with a plumber to fund my tool-buying disease. It's easy considering you only need to know one thing- uh, "waste" won't run uphill! It's better not to have to learn that through experience , though.

Comment

RS,
                            YOU'LL BE SURPRISED HOW MANY PEOPLE/ INSTALLERS DON'T KNOW THAT 1.
                            YOU FORGOT 2 OTHER FACTS.
                            #2 DON'T CHEW YOUR FINGER NAILS.
                            #3 PAYDAYS ON FRIDAY.

BADGERDAVE,
                            30 YEARS AGO WHEN I WAS 12, I WORKED SUMMERS AS A PLUMBERS HELPER AND I DON'T MEAN A PLUNGER, I WAS MAKING $3.00 AN HOUR CASH. 30 YEARS LATER I DO A LITTLE BIT BETTER.
                            RS, KEEP UP WITH THE PLUMBING. SOMEDAY YOU WON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE PRICE OF TOOLS / TOYS.
                            MY WIFE SAYS MY TOOLS ARE HER INSURANCE POLICY. (OVER MY DEAD BODY)
                            GOTTA GO, MY EBAY TOOL IS ENDING SOON.
                            RICK

[ 04-14-2005, 02:12 AM: Message edited by: PLUMBER RICK ]

Comment

Well like they say "you learn something every day" I use a computer evey day and if I needed a special symbol I would copy it from the character map and never noticed the bottom right corner where it shows the keystroke. For those of you like me that have been trying the keystokes and it still does not work you are likely using a laptop that does not have a number pad, the numbers across the top above the keys will not work. You need to turn on NumLk (shift+ScrLk) and then use the number pad layout on the laptop which is Alt+MJOK (let go of the ALT and the ¢ will appear, remember to turn off numlock before typing again.

Comment

Working...
                              X