TS2400 replacement motor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS2400 replacement motor

I've had mine for over 10 years and taken good care of it since I bought it. Well the motor just got really loud all of a sudden and doesn't cut as easily as it once did. It still works but it doesn't sound right. I noticed that the arbor has a bit of 'clinking' play when I move the blade by hand forward or backwards. Nevertheless, I'm taking this as a sign that the motor is about to go out. I called Ridgid today knowing that I registered it when I bought it but they having nothing in their database! They don't even have other tools that I've registered in the past either. I've always sent in the registration cards so it pisses me off that I have nothing in my name, email or the two addresses I've lived.

Does anyone know of a similar replacement motor this table saw that I can buy? Maybe a place I can send it off for a reasonable repair cost? I really don't want to have to go spend $500 on a saw or $400 on a motor. I'm so used to using this machine and how I have it stored in my garage that I'd like to keep it but I don't know if I want another Ridgid since I feel I've done the due diligence and I find out that I'm not covered on the thousands I've spent.

Thanks!

Well, I don't know RIDGID's policy but 10 years is probably the limit of parts support from the factory anymore for most power tools I would think. You didn't say which model of the TS2400 you have, there have been a few variations; TS2400, TS2400LS, TS2410LS, and TS24001.

Gone are the days when you could call and get a part for a20+ year old table saw or other power tool. Sears was actually one of the best for this for their Craftsman line of tools. I bought parts (bearings and brushes) for a 30 year old router from them and got it working again for less than $35. There is too little demand for such parts and most companies can't afford to stock these items forever. Most times they have to pay tax on that inventory that is going nowhere (not selling) and therefore a big drain on profits.

The issue of not having any of your warranty information for any of your tools is another matter. As has been discussed here before it is best to save hard copies (screen prints) of registration information from any company and keep in your records as insurance against just such an occurrence. It sucks that we have to do this, but it's reality.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Comment

Pull the motor and take it to a local motor repair shop...They may be able to return it to
      an operational condition....It may be something as simple as replacing the bearings and cleaning the
      commutator.

Cactus Man

Comment

Thanks for the information guys. I'm going to try to find a shop that can repair it locally.

I know that 10 years is a long time for anything these days but I really thought that Life Time Warranty meant that I just send in the registration and I'm covered on parts or replacement while I own it. At the time I could have gone the cheaper route but decided to pay more. I have never over stressed my table saw in the time I've had it. My dad has a Craftsman table saw that he's had for 30 years and it still running so maybe my expectations were unrealistic because of that.

Comment

• Bob D.
          Bob D. commented
          Editing a comment
          You don't have ANY documentation from registration? A saved email; a screen print out;
          a note you made in the owners manual of the date you registered; nothing at all?

Sucks when it's your word against theirs and you have nothing to back up your side of the story.

The only thing I have are the manuals. Back then the registration was via a post card you fill out and send it in. I have a million pictures of my kids but I've never thought (especially at that time) to taking a picture of the registration card. Wish I had thought of doing that along with the receipt. :/

Comment

• BadgerDave
          BadgerDave commented
          Editing a comment
          Those post cards were nothing but information for the marketing department. They had nothing to do with the LLSA. Many people didn't read the requirements of LLSA registration and assumed sending in the card was all they needed to do.

Giving an update on this. I got nowhere with the LLSA people. I KNOW I've registered all my tools and for the not to find me really makes me mad. Thankfully I haven't had many major issues with my Ridgid machinery. In the future I'll do everything from scanning, picture and calling to make sure my new equipment is covered.

That being said, I took cactusman's advice and removed the motor to have it repaired by a small motor technician. Cost about $100 but it seems to be running back like it was before. They replaced the bearings and brushes and cleaned it out. Hope I get another 100k miles out of this one. Anyway, I was just about to give up but glad this worked out and saved me a about $300.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Always good to hear how these things end, bad or good.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Comment

I would think it's just a comon induction motor with a 13A draw and maybe 1.5 or 3hp. I go by amp rating and not HP since most HP ratings are somewhat faked. Should be a plate/label on motor, ad measure shaft size.

Comment

Working...
            X