Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this how a hammer drill should sound?

I just received my ridgid hammer drill today. I know very little about hammer drills so when I set it to hammer, I noticed that when drilling it makes a gear grinding noise inside that drill. It even feels like gears are grinding. Is this normal? Also I notice that the hammering motion (back and forth) is quite slite and very hard to see. Just wondering if this is how they are supposed to perform. Sorry for the ignorance.

Well, as far as the movement of the hammerdrill being very slight, that is true. I can feel it happen, but I can't see it. On the grinding, that does not seem right. Mine has a pretty high pitch to it, but I would not describe it as a grinding noise. I'd go back to home depot and have them plug in the display model for you. Fire that one up and see how it sounds.

Paul

Comment

Perhaps you have a hammer drill with a top-secret grinding mode ?

Comment

Bethnic

Ha ha ha

too funny

Jake

Comment

Sounds like its normal to me. On the hammer mode it does make a sort of a grinding noise. No, you won't notice the hammer, its over 20,000 beats per minute.

Originally posted by steveo:
          I just received my ridgid hammer drill today. I know very little about hammer drills so when I set it to hammer, I noticed that when drilling it makes a gear grinding noise inside that drill. It even feels like gears are grinding. Is this normal? Also I notice that the hammering motion (back and forth) is quite slite and very hard to see. Just wondering if this is how they are supposed to perform. Sorry for the ignorance.

Comment

A hammerdrill does make a grinding noise in hammer mode, and it is high-pitched, because it is vibrating at 25,600 blows per minute.

Comment

Working...
            X