X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Tools in General

I just purchased several of the Ridgid tools at Home Depot. I assumed that they would be the same quality as the plumbing tools. But from reading this board I now know that they are not even made by Emerson/Ridge Tool. Should I keep them 18v 4 piece set, 1290LZ Miter saw, screw guns, air compressor or go buy Milwaukee? Dewalt is just Black and Decker in a yellow case.

Use them and form your own opinion. I have the 18V 4 piece set, jig saw, ROS, EBSS, and all perform well for me. You have 90 days to evaluate them, I think you will really like them.

Comment

And to top it all off, TTI (the company which makes the Ridgid woodworking stationary power tools) bought Milwaukee this past Fall. Hopefully they will no impose their poor quality and CS on Milwaukee and destroy the good rep that the brand now enjoys.

From what I was able to determine while researching a HVLP Turbine sprayer purchase this past Spring, Wagner has done the same thing in the paint spraying equipment market. They bought Titan and a number of other smaller manufacturers here in the US. I guess just to get the good name and eliminate the competition using the Microsoft business model; "It you can't beat 'em, BUY THEM."

Wagner seems to have left Titan pretty much intact, hopefully TTI will do them same with Milwaukee, keep the tools designed and manfactured in the US, while offering excellent quality and value in tools with a long service life.

Comment

Dewalt is just Black and Decker in a yellow case.
        Hi hammertime - I'm not a connoisseur of hand power tools, so I'm not sure which of those brands is better. But I am pretty sure that DW is more than yellow B&D....as in better gears, switches, motors, etc. There's yellow tools all over the construction sites, and barely a single B&D tool if any.

Comment

Hammertime---first, I agree with Hewood----DeWalt has never let me down, and indeed, B&D used to be a high quality tool---they just passed over their good designs to DeWalt and put their name on a bunch of cheap tools.

But, I will say, at least B&D prices their tools according to their quality. From this board and other comments, Ridgid no longer does the same----high price, questionable quality and poor customer service.

To an extent, I agree---judge for yourself. However, look at the facts. The vast majority of the problems listed here have been with the 3650 and their cordless tools----all introduced by OWT after taking over the Ridgid name. Old Ridgid tools like their OSS, Jointer, Planer have had minimal complaints, because OWT did little but change the color.

Over all, if I were going to take a chance of a tool's early death or lack of customer service, I'd buy Ryobi before Ridgid----at least I wouldn't be paying as much up front.
          Dave

Comment

hammertime:

FWIW, I bought the 4pc kit, returned it because it had a slight but noticeable wobble in the chuck, and found that the new kit did the same thing.

I searched this forum and found a few others who had the same problem. I called tech support and the rep said others had called about this issue and that it was normal!

My DW and Milwaukee don't wobble at all... The kit is offers a good value, but I just can't live with a wobbling chuck.

Comment

I do not use tools as a professional. I use them alot in my home wood working shop and in remodelling my home. I have had alot of different power tools. I started off like many with black & decker and Skil junk stuff, graduated to some craftsman stuff over the years and have since moved on to better stationary tools from Delta, some early Ryobi and others.
              I got into the cordless tool movement late. I bought a B&D drill years ago and wasn't impressed, went back to corded drills. Within the last year I started going cordless with a gift of a craftsman 12.V drill. I am not a big fan of much of the craftsman line but this drill has performed well. I bought the Ryobi 3 piece Drill/Trim Saw & Light for 99.00 in April. I liked the drill until the chuck froze on it, the trim saw just didn't have enough guts. I took it back and upgraded to the 18V stuff. I REALLY like this 18V drill and light. Havent' used the trim saw but know many are using it pretty hard and like it.
              I haven't bought any Ridgid cordless products, doubt I will do so as long as Ryobi continues to make decent affordable 18V products. I have my eye on the Ryobi cordless jig saw, have heard it is a very good buy for the price. I have bought a Ridgid 3/8 inch corded drill in the last month and I really like it alot. I also bought a Ridgid orbital sander. I just can't see spedinging the money on the Ridgid 18V stuff since it doesn't seem to be that much better than the 18V 1+ line of Ryobi's.

Corey
              \"If it ain\'t broke, you just aren\'t trying hard enough!\"

Comment

While I'll agree that B&D isn't top of the line, their products seem ok. I agree that their cordless lines don't have much power, but their corded seems to be ok for the garage at home. I have their RTX (Dremel Imitation), and it has lasted much longer than my friend's Dremel. The driveshaft on the Dremel he has is plastic, and has snapped on him twice. He has now switched to the RTX and is quite happy. He also has a corded B&D high-torque 1/2" drill which he uses for contracting since he's just started contracting a few months ago, and it's decently powerful. Obviously he'll upgrade to better tools, but IMO, B&D isn't a bad choice for the home enthusiast on a budget.

[ 01-03-2005, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: axio ]

Comment

I'd say an aweful lot depends on the individual tool. For example, even a cheap palm sander will last many years under home use. I would say any homeowner would benefit from a good corder and a good cordless drill and be willing to at least spend a notch above the real cheapos. But, for tools like jigsaws and routers it's much, much more than if the tool is going to last---it's about the quality of the cut you'll get.

When I upgraded from my Craftsman jig saw and router (and they were by no means that cheap) I simply couldn't believe the difference a quality tool could make in using it. A good jig saw, for example, shouldn't break blades every hour or be that hard to control.
                  Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X