X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery life indicator

A good friend of mine recently bought a Skill 18v. combo kit. The Skill is like a homeowner class vs the Ridgid would be a contractor class.One thing I thought was pretty neat though was on the batteries. There is a button you press and LED's will light up to show how much of a charge is in the battery. Much like a fuel gauge on your vehicle.

Yes, I have seen many features on the Black & Decker & Skil tools that would be nice features on the contractor grade tools from any of the major tool manufacturers. While I know that the contractor-grade tools are built better and stronger I do think that some of the more user-friendly items are being implemented by the home-user grade tool manufacturers.

I wonder if we will see any of these show up on the "better" tools or not?

Comment

Most of those features are pretty useless. Makita had the "fuel gage" on batteries a while back and dropped it. Most "fancy" features on home owner models are not attactive to contractors. The "gel" grips on B&D tools that are out now make me laugh.

You can tell a battery needs charging by its performance and with a 30 minute charger you can afford to wait. It's poor planning for both batteries to be dead at the same time, but with a double-30 minute charger, you can stay busy for a little bit. 10 minutes of charge will probably get you through until the other battery is full.

Comment

"Pretty useless" is being too nice. So called "battery remaining capacity gauges" are nothing more than re-calibrated voltmeters. They are based on the assumption that remaining capacity will be more or less linear to terminal voltage over a given range. That is only true if a battery is "at rest," which means that it has been sitting with neither load nor charge for several hours, and then it is still only really valid for lead-acid batteries. The voltage curve for NiCads and NMHi batteries is nearly flat over its useful range until it falls over a cliff at the end.

Comment

Working...
        X