Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone that wants to be truely impressed by a cordless drill should try a Panasonic. Best power to weight ratio in the industry - I think. If you use your cordless mostly for driving screws or lags - try the impact driver.

I have the 18 volt Ridgid and its not bad, but, it is much heavier than the Panasonics and only has a 2 amp hour NiCad battery. Panasonic makes 3.5 amp hour NiMH batteries - thats runtime.

Comment

Shoeman why would you buy a ridgid if you are so damn sold on a radio?

Comment

I looked at the Ridgid slider and I did not like the play in the arbor bearing.(hold the blade and move it side to side) The quality was not to my likeing. I has the same feel as the Bosch. They use needle bearings which cause the clearance/runout to be more than a sealed ball bearing. The makita ls1013 I have I
        feel is the best, and so did Tools of the Trade in thier test. I have a DeWalt 12" dual bevel cms which I like for crown/base due to the tall sliding fense and capacity to cut vertically. I added a laser dot indicator which was only $25.

Comment

Gentlemen,
          Let me assure you, this machine(1/2" X2), and those so far tested(extremely) by myself, which include the 18Volt recip, drill, panel saw, have, without a doubt PASSED any convievable test I could give them. These TOOLS ROCK!
          Ridgid has always been a small part of my line of tools. As a contractor, I use Makita Milwaukee, Bosche and Ridgid...cordless equipment, bar none, has been taken over by Ridgid!!! In the 30 years of construction that I personally have performed, never have I seen a tool that can take the day to day requirements that these tools have thus far taken...and, better yet, if they decide to go south....I HAVE WARRANTY!!!!!!!!!! YOU CAN'T LOSE!

this by the way comes without any compensation....however, if Ridgid and HD want to pay me....well..you now know my email..hehehe
          Dana

Comment

I just read in another thread (which unfortunately, I can't find) about a cabinet installer's issues with his 14.4v not charging. I just purchased the same drill/driver (X2 series), and I hate buying a lemon. My ten year old Makita 9.6v is still chugging along, but the cost of replacement the batteries is killing me.I bought the Ridgid based on the unprecedented warranty (much to the chagrin of the DeWalt rep who happened to be in HD at the time and tried to talk me out of it- saying all the companies buy their batteries from an independent company and Ridgid is pulling a scam of some sort.)
            I am a contractor doing primarily reno's, and use my drill/drivers for everything from driving 3" deck screws to drywalling with a dimpler. I've used Ridgid hand tools since high school shop class (and still do), but have shied away from their power tool line. You can't do it all and do it well, or can you? Let's hope so!

Comment

Re: Ridgid X2 Series Drill/Drivers

I am a serious DIYer and have done professional contracting in my past. I own two other cordless drills and this is by far my favorite. I chose it due to its light weight and smaller size over large hammer drill types that are heavy and wont fit into as tight a space. This is the one I reacy for 95% of the time.

This Makita drill also has the most advanced charging system available and it charges in only 15 minutes! Generically, it's called a "smart charging system." A computer chip inside the battery lets the charger know exactly how to optimally charge the battery, to completely charge each cell within the battery and for maximum battery life. Each battery is made up of smaller 1.2 volt cells. Often a battery will drain unevenly during normal use, at different rates within these internal cells. A normal charger will stop charging the battery when one cell reaches maximum capacity, not all of them. Once this happens once, it will continue to do so as long as you use the battery. What this means is your 18-volt battery is now a 16- or 17-volt battery and it can drop even lower.
              http://ascoya.com/Power-Tools.html
              http://powertools.blogetery.com

Comment

Working...
              X