X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid X2 Series Drill/Drivers

I'm new the forum so please forgive me if I post this in the wrong place. I'm still trying to learn how to navigate the site. I'm in the market for a new cordless drill and have been seriously considering the new Ridgid 18 volt X2 series cordless drill model 84015. Can any users of this forum give any first hand testimonials in favor(or even not in favor) of the drill. I'm trying to justify in my own mind that the extra cost of this drill over its competitors is worth it.
    Chris_Louisiana

I have the 14.4v X2, and fully endorse it. It is the best such tool I have ever owned, so far. Torque is more than adequate, as is battery life (I have not been able to outrun the two-bay charger yet).

I have no experience with the 18v.

The charger for the X2 doesn't get enough attention, IMO. This is a very sophisticated charger with excellent recharge and safeguards for batt life built in.

X2 drills are heavy, but not prohibitively so. If the main purpose was day-long overhead screw driving, you might want something more to that purpose. For GP this weight is a plus, again IMO.

And there's the lifetime warrantee... thumbs up for X2 all the way around.

Comment

Mark IV,
      I'm considering getting the 14.4 X2. I was wondering if you have any experience/opinion about the "regular" 14.4 (non X2)?

I don't use my drill for my job. My Prter Cable 14.4 Hammer Drill is in need of repair and the lifetime warranty is hard to pass up. Just not sure if I need the extra umph the X2 offers.

Comment

No, the X2 is my only experience so far. I wanted the 1/2" chuck.

I did pick up the 3/8" regular driver in the store, and it seems nice, but there are so many pluses to the X2 (carbide chuck, dual batts, etc.) that I didn't really consider it. However, I was looking for something at the heavier end of the scale.

Comment

Always opt for a 1/2 inch chuck. You will invariably end up needing it at the worst possible time.
          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Well I did it. I was in Home Depot last night and couldn't stand it any longer. The 1/2", carbide chuck, dual bateries Rigid 18 X2 volt was calling my name from across the store. I went in to get a water hose fitting and walked out with the drill. I almost bought the Dewalt but the HD guys in the store were really impressed with the new Rigid(especially with the warranty, battery warranty and torque) One of the salesmen jokingly stated that the Dewalt didn't need such a good warranty b/c it didn't break(he worked in kitchen cabinets). The other two HD guys who worked in power tools enthusiastically let me know that was not the case, and while they couldn't prove it yet, they believed the Ridgid would be at least as reliable and probably more reliable than the Dewalt. I don't know how much smoke was getting blown up my dress, but I would have bought whichever they said was best, so I don't think these guys had any motive to mislead me. Thanks for all the help guys. I'll post again once I get to use it, and give a review.
            Chris_Louisiana

Comment

Congrats, chris.

I just came home with the new 5" ROS... figure I'll take all the lifetime warrantees I can get, if the X2 is any indication of the new Ridgid.

Details to follow....

Comment

Chris,
                I have to say, that what the people in Home Depot say doesn't hold a lot of water to me. Ridgid is essentially their "house brand" along with Ryobi. So they definetly have a reason for promoting it (ie. higher profit margins). I witnessed a couple of Ridgid drill smoking under regular use. Not a good sign. The verdict is still out for me. I'll be willing to try it, but for now, I'll stick with what I know works.

Comment

Chris..........I can tell ya from personal experience with both DeWalt and RIDGID, they are both reputable companies. However, I sold my DeWalt 2 pc. drill and saw set here recently to get the RIDGID 4 pc. set. The RIDGID drill will turn the DeWalt backward in a one on one. Do consider the DeWalt is older, but I still love my RIDGID's Congrats on your purchase!!!!! Anyone wanna buy a miter saw? I got a DeWalt 12" Compound Slide Miter for sale!! Gotta get the RIDGID don't ya know.
                  We are all born with the equal oppurtunity to become unequal.

Comment

Did another test today!! One of the fellows who works for me just recently bought his new 18V Bosch. Curiousity got the best of us, so we chucked em up, and as expected. My gun spun him backwards, and I'm still on the outta the box charge. Woooooooooo Hoooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Dutchman,
                      Your reviews beat the hell out of Consumer Reports. I got to use the drill for the first time on a couple of small projects around the home the other day. First impression is....WOW....lots of power. I drilled a 3/4 hole throug 6" of lumber with a spade bit like it was going through hot butter. The drill will twist your wrist up pretty good if you don't have a good grip. I put some 3 1/2 screws in some lumber, and if I would have wanted to I think I could have driven them through the other side(6" deep) if the driver bit holder wouldn't have held up the process. Another positive aspect of the drill is the Jacob's carbide chuck. This a really nice chuck and makes change out a breeze. You can't definitely feel the quality in the Jacobs chuck. So far I'm very impressed with drill. The only possible negative is the weight of the drill. I don't consider it a serious problem vs. all the positive aspects of the drill. I'll just build more muscles.
                      Chris_Louisiana

Comment

Dutchman,
                        Your reviews beat the hell out of Consumer Reports. I got to use the drill for the first time on a couple of small projects around the home the other day. First impression is....WOW....lots of power. I drilled a 3/4 hole throug 6" of lumber with a spade bit like it was going through hot butter. The drill will twist your wrist up pretty good if you don't have a good grip. I put some 3 1/2 screws in some lumber, and if I would have wanted to I think I could have driven them through the other side(6" deep) if the driver bit holder wouldn't have held up the process. Another positive aspect of the drill is the Jacob's carbide chuck. This a really nice chuck and makes change out a breeze. You can't definitely feel the quality in the Jacobs chuck. So far I'm very impressed with drill. The only possible negative is the weight of the drill. I don't consider it a serious problem vs. all the positive aspects of the drill. I'll just build more muscles.
                        Chris_Louisiana

Comment

Thanks Chris!!

I'm just telling ya what I've done so that we can all make the Best decisions to suit ourselves!! Glad I could help!! Enjoy the new drill!

Comment

>I got a DeWalt 12" Compound Slide Miter for sale!! Gotta get the RIDGID don't ya know.

You sure you want to do that just yet? I really can't say anything bad about the Ridgid slider except that it looks cheap, but there is no way I will give up my Dewalt!!! I just don't see giving up the best compound sliding miter saw made for something new that hasn't been provin yet, and when there is nothing wrong with the Dewalt.

Dwayne

Comment

i have a 24V bosch and a couple of dewault 18v. Just bought the ridgid 3 piece set. Very impressed with the drill. Did a comparative test. Beat the hell out of the dewault. About equal in terms of power with the 24v bosch. Longer term test in the field with the saw will follows in terms of battery power and durability. With the lifetime warranty, can't beat it. ( as long as HD and ridgid continue to sell and support the product ). I have spent more money on replacement batteries for my dewault then the cost of the new 3 piece set from ridgid. I did not get the 4 piece set because the reciprocating saw does not have enough battery power for demolition. For that, get a corded tigersaw from portercable. I used the one with the articulating head. Great for access.

Comment

Working...
                              X