X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weight of 12 V vs. 18 V drill?

i was looking at getting a 12V cordless to accompany my 18 V when i didn't need the extra weight (screwing in fence pickets, etc). Is there significant weight difference? i checked the specs. on the website, but didn't see weight mentioned.

Thanks
    Caspian

I have 2 18v DeWalt drills right now that I had gotten used to over the years. When Ridgid came out with their line last year, I looked at the X-2 drills. The 18v drills were significantly heavier than the DeWalt counterparts. In fact, I wound up buying the Ridgid 12v x-2 instead of the 18V. It has done everything I have asked of it. The weight is very similar to my 18v DeWalt drills.

Comment

Have you thought about the 14vlt impact driver. More power less weight. Ridgid looks nice, but has not hit the shelves of my local HD. I have the Hitachi 12vlt(2.3 lbs) impact and I love it vs. any drill(5 lbs +). All competitiors have more accessories built for the impact drivers to fit the 1/4 hex shank.

Comment

12V X2 was recently marked down to $99, not a bad deal.

Woodslayer

Comment

was looking at getting a 12V cordless to accompany my 18 V when i didn't need the extra weight
          I bought a couple of the Ridgid 12V 3/8" for the very same reason. I install cabinets frequently and wanted to replace my aging Bosch. The 3/8 is significantly lighter and very compact. I like the fact that there is no auxiliary handle to add 3/4" of needless length. Power is excellent - about 50% more than my old Bosch.
          To be honest though, I might have been better off waiting for more impact drivers to come out. They are even smaller due to the lack of a chuck. You need to use speedlock bits for drilling though.
          The 12V 1/2" is indead a steal at $99 (less than the 3/8" ???). They must be dropping it. I'm tempted to buy one for the X2 batteries but battery life has not been a problem for me. The downside is the X2 is significantly heavier than the non-X2.

Comment

I just reframed my garage door opening and installed a new garage door. Used the Dewalt 14.4 impact gun the entire time. was truly awesome. The best money I spent.....
            sorry to plug Dewalt, wasn't my intention. The impact guns out right now (in general) are just great!!

[ 12-09-2004, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: bryan c ]
            eliminate excuses and make things happen!

Comment

Working...
            X