No announcement yet.

Compressor Stopped

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is a thought, check the price of the caps them selfs, some places sell them reasonable cost,
    my not cast any more than taking them some place to have them tested, (and most likely you would feel obligated to buy from the person who tests them, if bad, most likely I would guess one can just take a chance on replacing them and not cost any more,

since Ridgid does not list them in the parts, one may be able to just replace them as cheap as having some one test them, get the numbers and ratings on the original cap in the motor.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tart+Capacitor

just type in the number and or the capacity of the cap in to Google and do a search, and click on shopping at the top of page, and you should get a list of sellers of that item,

from the numbers and so forth the compressor appears to be of Campbell Hausfeld
    in originally, (I may be wrong), but the part number seems to be the same, https://mastertoolrepair.com/air-com...a-p-18684.html
    from what I can tell, (no guarantee here) the start looks like it is a Start Capacitor 280-400mfd 220V and seems to be a hard one to find, https://www.jackssmallengines.com/ja...eld/mc507017av check what is in the motor currently and match the numbers up, it looks like one my be able to find the start on Ebay (I got tired of looking or a close match up),

the Run Capacitor 40MF 450V is common, https://www.jackssmallengines.com/ja...iabegj5bvd_bwe the run one was simple to find the same specs. for abouut $10,

check the ones that are in the motor and see if there is any sign of leakage or smells hot, or any other signs of problems for narrowing it down,

when you had the motor apart were there any signs of over heating the windings? dark wires?

I think this is about all I can help you with, it may just be time to look for a new unit,

Last edited by BHD; 02-11-2018, 05:30 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

it means you have a failed bearing. the caps only switch the position of the magnetic field. Even bad, if you push the motor, it will often start and run normally.

when it spins a partial turn and stops powered, but spins normally unpowered it's 99.99% bearing failure. The magnetic field pulls the armature down, binding the failed bearing, or binding the armature against the stator (the most probably cause).
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I found a local motor repair shop that checked the two caps and found that they are OK. That left me scratching my head. So, I thought I would give one more look inside thinking that there might be something amiss with the run switch mechanism. This time, when I took the rear end plate off, the armature came with it which should not have happened. The armature shaft has sheared off at the bearing at the pump end. It sheared off in such a way that when it is not under load the two pieces stayed in alignment. This allowed the the whole shaft and armature to rotate freely when turned by hand, but not under load. So, the motor is ka-put.

A new California Air Tools compressor will be delivered Thursday.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Comment

now that is a strange one, I have heard of automotive cranks breaking like that, but not an electric motor,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
            now that is a strange one, I have heard of automotive cranks breaking like that, but not an electric motor,
            Yeh. And it would be easier to understand if the pump had suddenly seized. But that didn't happen.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
            X