Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14.4v 83001 for $99, good deal?

Hey everyone,

So I need a cordless drill for the many many projects I work on throughout the house etc. I've been using my dad's 14.4 Makita that he bought from Sears for a fantastic price. I think it's model 6332 or something like that with 280 lb/torque.

So I saw this 14.4 Rigid with lifetime warranty on clearance at my local HD for only $99. It has 400 lb of torque which would indicate to me that it will perform at the level of the Makita, if not better. Is that a fair statement? The Makita lets us drive 3" drywall screws into 4x4's with ease.

While we are do it DIYs, we do alot of large projects, such as putting in new windows, new doors, remodel kitchens, bathrooms, roofs, etc. So I don't think just a plain old DIY drill would be enough. That being said, I don't need anything that will drill in concrete (as I know this drill can't do anyways).

Just wondering if people think this is a good drill. The torque is important as we've bought some cheap 18v Craftsman in the past that didn't drive a drywall screw into a 2x4, come to realize is only had 120 lb/torque so I'm assuming that was the culprit.

I noticed some mention of batteries holding charge being an issue. Is this still the case? I don't want to spend a fortune, but at the same time, I want a drill that can really hand the medium-heavy duty jobs.

Thanks alot!

IMHO, a 14.4V drill/driver is the perfect size for the average DIY'er and the projects you described when being done by a non professional.

I kicked myself for not taking advantage of this deal when my local HD offered it a few months back. They sold out in just a matter of days here.

[ 10-20-2005, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: BadgerDave ]
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

I purchased this drill for $99 a few months ago when it was on sale (nice price). I've used it for installing cabinets, storm doors, and a bunch of other things. It has plenty of power for this DIYer and I would recommend it to anyone.

Comment

For the price it is a very good drill, but you may want to hold out for the combo kit with the 14.4V impact driver for $129. Several members have reported that deal but it hasn’t reached my local HD yet, but an employee informed me that it is coded in such a way that it can no longer be ordered and should go on clearance sometime soon.

Woodslayer

Comment

If i had the money I would buy the 14.4v drill/driver and impact driver combo right now!!!

Two batteries, charger, and two great tools for the price of a dewalt 12v compact drill. I do have that 12v dewalt but i got it on sale several months ago. But if they had this deal back when i needed a drill i would even own a dewalt.
          "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
          "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Thanks guys, so you don't think there's a problem with the battery not holding a charge or anything like that?

thanks.

Comment

Wow....$99 sounds like a great deal! My local HD here in Canada has the 14.4 for $199 CAN, and the combo kit for $400 CAN!

[ 10-21-2005, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: canadave ]

Comment

I just got the 14.4 for $99 , I think it's a great deal and it should serve me well for years to come. My B&D 12v seems to be losing its charge sooner than it used to so I jumped on the ridgid plus you can't beat the warranty....also remember, if you open a charge with Home Depot, you get 10% off your purchase.So if you make a big buy, take advantage of that plus 6 months interest free !

Comment

Working...
                X