Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

9-10" band saw, benchtop jointer, oscillating spindle/belt sander.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9-10" band saw, benchtop jointer, oscillating spindle/belt sander.

Looking to pick up these items for some occasional home woodworking projects and wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations. No need for larger floorstanding models which I don't have dedicated space for anyway. So far favoring either the 10" Rikon or 10" Wen bandsaw, Cutech 6" jointer with carbide helical blade, or the Shop Fox or Grizzly (look identical build), and the Ridgid or Shop Fox oscillating spindle/belt sander. Let me hear y'alls opinions on any of these tools or others worth consideration. Gratitude!
    You only live once, so play with your tool often.

Of the tools you listed, I own the Ridgid OSS and give it a definite 5 star rating. I do own the 14" big brother to the Rikon 10" bandsaw and am equally happy with it. WEN seems to receive both good and not so good reviews of their products so it may be a case of the luck of the draw when purchasing one of their products. I've never had any experience with a benchtop jointer so I can't speak to the Cutech or the others however a jointer is a pretty basic tool so if it can be setup properly any of those should be OK. Whichever one is the easiest to make setup adjustment on would be my choice.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

Good info there. Thanks Badger

Comment

I would go for a 14 inch BS as U may out grow the smaller unit quickly. Don't they make a 12inch benchtop BS???

Comment

You could pick up an older Craftsman 12" bandsaw. The ones made in the 80s by Emerson (parent of RIDGID). They were decent saws and probably as good or better than what you will find today at twice the price. You should be able to find a good one on CL for less than $100.

This is in Butler, PA and he's asking too much but if you could handle a floor model band saw this would be a good choice at $100. I bought one just like this a couple years ago for $75 and still use it as a second band saw. There is another model 12" band saw, without the tilting blade, that is a decent saw and can be had for about $100. With some TLC they can do a good job cutting.

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tl...495304724.html
          Last edited by Bob D.; 02-13-2018, 05:00 PM.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

1/20/2017 - The Beginning of a new Error

Comment

Thanks fellas for some good input and advice.

Comment

Working...
            X