EZ Smart Guide System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EZ Smart Guide System

Has anyone tried the new EZ Smart base or guide system with Ridgid's new Circular saw? It looks like a pretty cool add-on. My shop is in a two car garage, but handling full sheets of plywood on the table saw is still a chore and I'm sure compromises some safety.
    I know that Festool owners have been raving for years about thier plunge saw and guide system, and it looks like this EZ Smart system could fit the bill for folks who already have invested in a CS.

Pete
    \"Last year we couldn\'t win at home.<BR>This year we can\'t win on the road.<BR>My failure as a coach is that I <BR>can\'t think of anyplace else to play.\"<BR> - Coach Harry Neale, Canucks

I haven't used mine yet, but am want to! Awaiting to see feedback also.

Comment

Has anyone even seen the EZ Smart Guide System?
      Sounds interesting, but I don't find it on the website or at HD. I have the Portable Panel Saw System from PSI Woodworking and its just OK. There are many aspects I don't like. If you have a link or decent photo of the EZ Smart I'd be happy to give you a comparative opinion.

Comment

It's a guide that slides into the from edge of the circ. saw(Ridgid 18V) It has measurements on it that you can set it on and cut off that exact amount.

Comment

It's a guide that slides into the from edge of the circ. saw(Ridgid 18V) It has measurements on it that you can set it on and cut off that exact amount.
          Oh - it's not what I thought at all. Sounds like a glorified rip guide. In general I don't find them very effective, especially on wider rips. A rip guide does not control the alignment of the saw well enough to provide finish quality cuts. The Festool looks good but the price is a shocker and it only has a 55" track. That won't do for ripping 96/96" panels. I guess I'll stick with the PSI for now. It performs the same function (with your CS) for $90 and includes 5' and 9' tracks. Although, if I had it to do over I'd just try harder to find a suitable 9' straight edge - a 1/4" x 4" flat aluminum bar would do fine.

Comment

Originally posted by ByteButcher:
            </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> It's a guide that slides into the from edge of the circ. saw(Ridgid 18V) It has measurements on it that you can set it on and cut off that exact amount.
            Oh - it's not what I thought at all. Sounds like a glorified rip guide. In general I don't find them very effective, especially on wider rips. A rip guide does not control the alignment of the saw well enough to provide finish quality cuts. The Festool looks good but the price is a shocker and it only has a 55" track. That won't do for ripping 96/96" panels. I guess I'll stick with the PSI for now. It performs the same function (with your CS) for $90 and includes 5' and 9' tracks. Although, if I had it to do over I'd just try harder to find a suitable 9' straight edge - a 1/4" x 4" flat aluminum bar would do fine. </font>[/QUOTE]Bytebutcher it is more than a guide rail. The system has a base plate and anti chip edge plus guide rails. From other forums the comments are it is nearly as good if not as good as a Festools system for a lot less money. I'm told the antichip with a good blade will cut like a fine tuned cabinet saw. People are raving about it on veneered plywood for a lack of chip out.
            Here is a link to the site http://www.eurekazone.org/products/e...s.html#systems
            Paste this into your browser and it should take you to site.
            Rev Ed

Comment

Sorry folks, I read too much into the first post and thought this was a new Ridgid product.

I checked it out and it looks pretty good. Having the saw motor is over track is a definite improvement over the PSI design. One concern I would have though is dust/debris on the track interfering with smooth operation. The PSI rides on bearings up out of the dust. The clamps are not what I would expect for the price either. A ratcheting grip type would be much easier to use. A dedicated 100" and 50" track in the basic package would be better but you could spend the extra money and build it separately. The chip reduction parts may be useful for plywood, but I dought it would be much help with double-sided melamine.

If anyone is considering the PSI (it is half the price with free shipping) the primary drawback I found is the orientation of the motor. When you mount the angle shaped track on a 1/4" backer board as they suggest, it puts the saw motor out past the cutting edge suspended in mid-air. The weight of the saw is enough to allow some deflection resulting in a slight variation in cut angle. That problem is eliminated if you don't mount it on a backer board, but then you have to do the offset measuring thing and the track can flex a little sideways if you're not careful. Clamping is also via your own C-clamps, but I suspect its just as convienent as the EZ Smart clamps. Finally the base is a pain to attach and align so I dedicated an old saw to it. With the EZ smart it looks like the saw would be more practical for other uses while mounted in the base.

Comment

ByteButcher you said, "The chip reduction parts may be useful for plywood, but I dought it would be much help with double-sided melamine."

While I have no first hand experience from what I'm reading on the other forums it is very good on melamine. In fact one guy said it cut cleaner than his saw with a scoring blade.

I think the big thing here is to get one of the new PC mag saws with built in dust port and hook it to your vac. I think that will cut the sawdust on the guide and around the area almost as much as the Festool. I hear guys are building custom cabinets on site with the festool the dust is so controlled. If EZ smart is nearly the same then dust fouling the guide shouldn't be a problem.

By the way did anyone see This Old House where they used a Festool to build some cabinets? They sure made it look easy and quick. They say in Europe many of the woodworkers are passing on table saws and just going straight to the Festool for all their cutting. I also think Europeans rely heavily on Bandsaws.
                Rev Ed

Comment

you found that at H.D.???? nice I've been looking at festool but way to much $$$ have to investigate this more bill

Comment

I have a 4' and 8' PRO TRU TRACKS and have good results with the PC saw which has dust collection built in. For 2 sided melamine I cut a shallow initial cut then recut thru the the second pass without tearout. The hard part is making sure that your saw is on the cut line and lined up. The base locks the saw to the track with no play and can not move off the line during the cut as can happen with just and edge guide somtimes. It is like having a panel saw without the price or space needed. I leave my PC saw mounted on the base which acts like a ZCTP. The router base also works well too. I have cut hundreds of feet with this system on saw horses( I use an "H" arrangement that has metal "X" brackets to lock the horses together) and it is a lot more accurate and safer than a TS when cutting large panels. The acccuracy is about 1/32" over a 8' length.
                    The PSI system has some problems with accuracy due to bearing tolerances and weight placement of the saw.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...&s=hi&n=552468

Comment

Hi Guys.
                      I saw some visits in our web site by this forum and I stop over to say Hi. If its OK with the rules I can talk about Eurekazone and the EZSmart.
                      My name is Dino (the carpenter)and I'm associated with Eurekazone.
                      Regards

Comment

Hey guys...
                        New member here. I have the SmartGuide, as well as an assortment of other commercial guides, and have used the Festool system. The SmartGuide is an amazingly versatile, well engineered and constructed tool. I get laser straught cuts, even at 8', with no splintering or chip out. It is the center of a well thought out system of components that do genuinely allow you to do cabinet crade work in the field, or your garage, quickly, easily and safely. (for the record, I have no "interest" in Eureka [img]smile.gif[/img] )

Comment

Originally posted by YCFriend:
                          Hi Guys.
                          I saw some visits in our web site by this forum and I stop over to say Hi. If its OK with the rules I can talk about Eurekazone and the EZSmart.
                          My name is Dino (the carpenter)and I'm associated with Eurekazone.
                          Regards
                          Welcome and go ahead a tell us about it, I'm sure it will work with the Ridgid circular saw so there should be not problem talking about here.
                          Rev Ed

Comment

Thanks RevEd.
                            The EZSmart works perfect with the Ridgid saw.
                            The flat and strong base of the saw makes the installation of the smart base easier than any other saw. And the ergonomics,the balance and the large controls (levers) of the Ridgid saw makes it even easier to operate.
                            About the EZSmart features... you will never hear enough from me or from all the users.
                            It was design to be the answer to all common woodworking-plus problems.
                            A.Tool capacity on cross/belel/rip/compound and any other cut you may come across.
                            B Space limitation. The wood stays put and secure to the guide.The only space you need is the size of the wood.And if the wood is to long,you can cut outdoors.
                            C.Safety.This is the best feature of the EZSmart.
                            The multiple tracks and the way the Smart Clamps work allows you to cut any size wood or panel with out have to hold and push the wood into a rotating blabe.
                            D.Quality of the Cut. With a $12.00 to 15.00 blade you can have a better cut than a $200.00 saw blade, thanks to the very effective antichip inserts and edges.
                            Few other benefits are: Bidirectional-Universal-
                            Self allign extendable-Modular-Portable and the list goes on and on.
                            The EZSmart is part of the satelight saw system.
                            A whole new Family of tools that can make woodworking SAFE-and FUN for anyone.

The diference between the EZSmart and all the high priced European guide Systems is as much as a homemade straight edge and their systems.
                            I thought someone may ask.

Thanks for allow me to presend the EZSmart at your forum and I be Glad and available to answer any questions.
                            Welcome to Eurekazone my friends.

Comment

Hi Guys.All the concerns that you have notice about the EZSmart "re solid points.
                              We learn of them by testing and re-designing the system for two years before we take it to the market. The one that we sell now is the No 7 guide. And the smart base is the NO 9? (I lost the count.)
                              About the sawdust.We have dust relief grooves on the guide (very effective)the saw dust stays behind and you don't push or drag it along the guide.
                              About the other concerns you have to go to the site and visit the photo gallery.
                              Thanks again.
                              YCF Dino

Comment

Working...
                              X