No announcement yet.

Made in Germany

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgot to add, all of the Dewalt cordless will be made in China soon. I think as it sits now, the Compact line already is, but I could be wrong.

Comment

I would never buy all my tools just because of the name. I shop around and do some research before buying anything. I have a 14.4 Milwaukee drill that has been great for me on the job. But I don't just buy all Milwaukee. For my shop I went with The Ryobi 13" planer, because it has all the features I need and for a good price. As far as dewalt goes, I think you pay for the name nore than anything else. I have their Biscuit jointer, and a very old circ saw. but I don't think I would spend the extra money on anything else. The Ridgid stuff made in Germany is very good stuff(I have used them in demo's I give at Home Depot). But You have to look at all the aspects of the tool you are buying. Almost every tool review I read the Ryobi products do well for the low end tools. And for most people that is all they need. But the Ridgid 12v drill will be my next purchase for my shop. It will replace my PC 14.4 because it is lighter and does everything that the PC will do.
      Anyway enough rambling. I just want to say that you can't just pick a tool by name, you have to actually comepare and use them to get the best for your application.
      Jeff

Comment

The idea that a company that makes a cheap brand cannot make a high end brand is ridiculous. DeWalt/B&W, Ryobi/Ridgid/Metabo, etc.

As an engineer I can tell you that is more difficult to produce a cheap tool than an expensive one. Marketing that can dictate a superior price is hard.

Take Hilti for example. How hard is it for them to make great tools when they are able, through marketing, to charge twice as much as DeWalt and Ridgid? How hard is it for GM to build Cadillac when they command a high. Much easier than Cavaliers.

Now look at the other end of the spectrum. Mass marketing is predicated on tools selling on price as the main factor. So cheap parts are the order of the day. But they cannot be so cheap that the tool breaks in a few weeks.

So there is the challenge. Make a tool using cheap components (not too cheap) that will allow you to sell large numbers at a low price. Pretty tricky business...

[ 11-30-2003, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: BH626Pro ]

Comment

BH626Pro,

"How hard is it for GM to build Cadillac when they command a high. Much easier than Cavaliers"

Do you remember the Cadillac Cimarron?I think that it was based on the Chevrolet equivalent of the Cavalier at the time.

Comment

Wow all these are really good points. I love this board, even though it is suppossed to be for rigid tools, it gives a lot of opions on great topics. I was in the market for a new drill and took a look at the rigid, dewalt, milwaukee, and bosch. I wanted a rigid x2 14v but could not beleive the weight. I use my drill all day and stay away from the 18v models because of the same reason. Not only do the Milwaukee and Bosch 14v drills offer more tourqe they also weigh less. I really like the Bosch because it weighs a little less and has 450lbs of torque and the Milwaukee has 460. Also as far a Hitachi goes there drills are weak. They feel cheap when you hold them. I have a Hitachi miter saw and it is great. It will miter up to 60 Degrees to the right. I also have a rigid sander and it is really good too. Just like cujOHD said try the tool before you buy.

Comment

Oh and by the way. As far as price. The Milwaukee 14v is $189 at Lowes and the Bosch Brute 14v at Amazon is also $189. I do believe that since the Rigid is made in china where the workers work for little to nothing and both the Milwaukee and Bosch are made in europe where they pay their workers a decent wage then the Rigid should be much less than the other brands.

Comment

"...the Rigid should be much less than the other brands... "

Not when you compare X2 apples to apples:

metal chuck with carbide inserts
                dual charger, air cooled
                fast charge batteries
                quality components
                nice fit and finish
                Lifetime Warranty...

Does anyone really think that the American made DeWalt's etc. are assembled with no Asian/Chinese parts in the drill or battery?

Comment

Taken Directly from the Bosch website. I think you'll find that Milwaukee will say similar:
                  Tool performs after repeated 1-story drops when all other competitors fail
                  Steel reinforced collar - Enhances durability and protects tool when dropped on the chuck
                  Unibody powertrain - Maintains alignment between clutch, gearbox, and motor for the most durable drivetrain system on the market
                  Dura-shieldTM housing - Constructed to withstand real world conditions
                  Two speed gearbox optimized for two modes of operation - High torque mode produces more than 450 in./lbs. of torque, high speed mode generates 1,300 RPM
                  Externally changeable brushes - Can be replaced in as little as 2 minutes.
                  Ratcheting 1/2″ single sleeve chuck with carbide teeth - For one-handed operation and stronger bit grip
                  Built-in overload protection - To extend motor life under the toughest applications
                  Bosch designed powertrain with the largest metal gears - For increased life and durability
                  Fully adjustable auxiliary handle with extra bit storage
                  Yeah the charger is really nice but I worry about quick charging them. How long will the batteries last? I am not saying that the Rigid products aren't reliable and perform well but I said based on where they are made they should be cheaper. Given that other companies offer comparable features.

Comment

To get back to bd and dewalt, when they turned to dewalt as there industrial brand for the first years of prodution the dewalt and black and decker tool were identical inside and out beside the color. now if you see any bd tools that are grey they are identical to dewalt inside and out. bd started targetting the home owner thats when they changed from grey to the firestorm red orange color and the quatum line.

Comment

Like i said earlier the average joe never really used or saw a metabo so the ridge marketing crew did ther homework by designing them like the metabo as long as they run like the metabo then ridge can keep the price the way they have because they will do well.I personally think just the fill and hearing them run that they will probally be better than dewault as soon as they proove it.

Comment

Let's face it,the "made in China" designation is a negative feature of the Ridgid drill line.

Jon,

I have one of those B&D Industry & Construction black 12v driver drills.They are exactly the same as the DeWalt's,as you said.These drills took a pretty good beating at Usairways,removing and installing panel screws along with the occasional drilling off the head of a titanium screw with a cobalt drill bit.I believe that my Quantum plunge router is the same as the DeWalt.

When I go into a granite fab shop,I see mostly Metabo grinders there.

Comment

Re: Made in Germany

I was recently at Farm & Fleet (local store in Iowa) and looked at the V18 Milwaukee hammer drill/driver and it looks identical to my Ridgid 24v XLI. Same curves everything, it is just orange instead of red. I further called Milwaukee to ask were their tools were made and I was told Germany, but the tag on the drill said Made in China.

Comment

For what this is worth, some (very few and only older models) Ridgid tools were made in Germany under special contract with Metabo. Some (only a select few) Milwaukeee tools were made in Germany in the AEG factory. Today TTI owns what's left of AEG and Milwaukee along with many other companies.

Comment

for what its worth and if anybody cares to listen heres my 2 cents

if it looks like a duck , smells like a duck, and walks like a duck.......its a duck.

many many companies as specially the ones that contract out there manufacturing, oft times contract to even there competitors (in different markets) to manufacture there goods.

this takes place on a daily basis all over the world. so tomato -- tomato-- Metabo.

(BTW i have several metabo and AEG and Bosch tools that iv had working almost every day for the past 20 years and have never given me a seconds worth or trouble).

link for your pleasure : http://www.metabo.us/

Comment

Working...
                              X