Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ring shank nails for Rigid R175RNF coil roofing nailer.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ring shank nails for Rigid R175RNF coil roofing nailer.

the pneumatic took fastener guide that came with my Rigid R175RNF coil roofing nailer specifies nail lengths from 3/4" to 1-3/4" and then says "These smooth shank nails have a 0.120" shank diameter and come with various finishes, primarily galvanized and hot-dipped galvanized." Can I use ring shank nails with my nailer? Will doing so harm it? Will doing so breach the warranty? Will the nailer be powerful enough to fully drive the full range of ring shank nails? Is there any reason not to use ring shank nails with this nailer? What brand of ring shank nails would you recommend?

I don't see any reason you couldn't use ring shank nails if you can find some.
    Typically for asphalt shingles you'll never have an issue with them pulling out before the shingle breaks.
    I prefer hot dipped galvanized, however these days the electro galvanized are easier to find and work fine.

For that coil nailer you will need RF style nails. Make sure the box states RF style or they may not work.

Comment

• MAS
      MAS commented
      Editing a comment
      You are correct, RF is just the angle the nails are connected to one another to feed thru the nail gun.
      My Ridgid nailer has a sticker on the nail cover that says RF ROOFING NAIL

• Dan Ganfield
      Dan Ganfield commented
      Editing a comment
      So does mine. It has a sticker ton it that says "RF Roofing Nail" But, what are the characteristics of "RF Roofing Nails"?

• MAS
      MAS commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm no expert so I can't give you a definitive answer on that. I'm guessing the RF would refer back to 15 degree angle on the way the nails are attached to the wire holding them all together. It also most likely refers to the .120" (3mm) shank size and head size and that it is between the mix/max length.
      I'm sure by putting the RF on the box makes it a lot easier for people like me instead of needing to read and make sure all the specs would work in my nail gun.

As long as the nails are within specifications they will be fine. Using ring shank nails won't add wear and tear any more than other nail if this is going to used as designed. You might want to think about using an automatic oiler if this is going to be usedon a big project.

Coated nails like vinyl, cement or galvanized make to nails less prone to pull out. I don't really see a need for ring shank nail for shingling a roof and it will be more difficult to remove the shingles in 15 years which you may come to regret.

If the roof sheathing will no longer hold the nails, you may want to replace it all.

Comment

I started roofing about 1960 back east . Still have a # of roofing coil guns. Never ,ever used shank nails on a roof !
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
      X