X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MITER SAWS

What's the best miter saw for a woodshop?
    looking at the 12" compound slides.

For shop use, my pick would be the 10" Makita LS1013 slider. Compare the specs on it vs most 12" sliders and you'll see that the Makita can do the same cutting job as alot of the 12"ers.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I like Makita, but the new 12" miter saws have capacities way beyond the makita 10". Try a dewalt, they are very durable

Comment

Thanks for the reply. From what I see the 12" Dewalt does have more capacity than the 10" Mikita and the other 12" saws. My question now is do you sacrafice accuracy for a larger cutting capacity with the Dewalt. Also why does the Dewalt have a much larger cutting capacity than the 12" Ridgid w/slide? After years of using the Dewalt cordless drivers at work I switched to Ridgid 2 years ago and became a Ridgid fan.

Comment

Do your research first online... I have been looking for a compound mitre saw for sometime now. I have finally decided on the 12" Makita LS1214. I read a very detailed review on this and cannot seem to locate it online. The saw won top reviews over the top sellers Dewalt, Ridgid, Bosch and Ryobi. You will probably get many different opinions on this forum. Take it with a grain of salt.... I have purchased most of my power tools by doing my own research on the actual product... If you ever need info on where to find a good router table and award winning fence for a awesome price let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by buildthis:
            ..............You will probably get many different opinions on this forum. Take it with a grain of salt.......
            I assume that statement also includes your opinions.
            [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

and yes that means my opinions as well. Is it me or does badgerdave always seem to have a negative response for almost ever reply?

Comment

Not always negative but....... I do get a little annoyed at people who instruct others to ignore the freely given advice that the members here offer. Then, in their next breath proclaim that they are the one to go to for advice and purchasing information on a router table and fence.

FWIW, those little smilee faces were an indication that my response was made somewhat in jest. But if you want to take it to a personal level then please do me a favor and just ignore any post of mine that you may come across in the future.

[ 12-28-2005, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: BadgerDave ]

Comment

Wow badger,

Always making with them negative waves man.

You'll ruin my reputation as the site's opinionated grump.
                  Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Boys, quit fighting!
                    Anyone else with some advice about miter saws?

Comment

BadgerDave,

Out of curiosity, what parts did you edit out of the above "thumbs down" post?

Jerry

[ 12-28-2005, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: steelewoodworker ]
                      It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Comment

Only additional comment that I can offer is simply to compare the specs and then make your decision based on specs, brand reputation, warranty, etc.; and of course take note that opinions offered by experienced members, of this and any other forum you visit, often come from some very solid experience.

With regard to the individual who suggested that we take answers "with a grain of salt". All I can say is such a comment implies a certain disrespect for anyone who takes the time and consideration to share their experience with you. Perhaps disrespect wasn't the intent, but it certainly seemed so.

With such comments in mind, the best advice I can give is to check out some of the "answers" that many posters get from guys like BadgerDave and a handful of others. You'll soon realize that such answers come from experience and are well considered by most of us.

Best wishes to you for the New Year and good luck with your purchase,

CWS

Comment

This summer I purchased a Makita LS1013. It wasn’t an easy choice. The first question I asked was if I wanted/needed a slider. I decided that the increased capacity was something I needed and was willing to pay for both the increase in price and space (they do need more space). Then I had to decide between 10” and 12”. The differences in capacities weren’t that much, so a 10” was fine, and I didn’t have to spend more money on new blades. Then the choice was easy: Makita. Finally, before I bought it, I asked myself, is this the best all around saw for me. The answer was yes, it had the features I was looking for (power, cutting capacity, table size, overall dimensions etc..) and has received great reviews for years.
                          The cutting capacity of the new 12” DeWalt DW718 is 16” at 90 degrees. It also has some nice new features. But if I had to make the decision again, I would probably still choose the Makita. I don’t need to cut 16” very often. I have a table saw and a panel-cutting jig for that. It wouldn’t be worth the extra dollars for the saw or the space to justify the extra capacity. Who knows, when I get a chance to use the DW718, I might change my mind.
                          Two things about my Makita that I don’t like. The first I was aware of before I purchased it: its dust collection is bad. IMHO all miter saws have bad DC, but the Makita seems worse. The second thing I don’t like is the non-through cut system. It isn’t consistent within a cut or between cuts. A feature I never considered using, so never looked at before buying. And I miss having the Ridgid warranty.
                          I have no doubt you will be happy with either the Ridgid, DeWalt or Makita. They are all excellent saws: It’s a win/win situation.
                          Lastly, thanks Dave for all the help you give to people on the board. You always give facts when they are called for and opinions/advise when they are asked for. And you always distinguish between the two.

[ 12-28-2005, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: cjh20 ]

Comment

Ouch... sorry to offend so many by simply stating "take it w/ a grain of salt". Maybe I should of said "read as much as you can from others and online, then go w/ your gut".

Geez...

Comment

Take it easy, next thing you know what was once friendly advice will turn into mudslinging.

Everyone will desagree at somepoint but don't get mad at the small things, and think before you speak or type.

Should we get all of you an a talk show together? Would you prefer Jerry Springer or Orprah?
                              "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
                              "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Working...
                              X