Multi Bank Charging Station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi Bank Charging Station

Why does Ridgid not have a multi-port charging station with capabilities to hold up to 6 batteries? Something similar to the Dewalt Power Station would be amazing. You could charge an arsenal of batteries and also could be able to run corded tools as well.

i would buy one. currently have a dual, I could definitely make room for a 6pac
    HEY! What does this button do?

Comment

LETS BUMP IT UP A NOTCH ,OR 2 . A large charger with many ports , and many custom battery end inserts . This will do all popular brands and voltages.
      All Inserts have a control panel to chose insert # and set particular voltage. Sully IS on His way to the SHARK TANK !!
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        LETS BUMP IT UP A NOTCH ,OR 2 . A large charger with many ports , and many custom battery end inserts . This will do all popular brands and voltages.
        All Inserts have a control panel to chose insert # and set particular voltage. Sully IS on His way to the SHARK TANK !!
        Many of the same ports is a good idea, but not one that would do all brands. You cant rely on someone to select voltage it must be keyed/dedicated to the correct battery.
        There are many types of batteries with different charge rates and such. There would also be liabilities of using one brand charger to charge third-party batteries. Plus it would be quite expensive and probably not marketable.

For that reason....I'm out.

Comment

R u kevin #*x#* 49 Years ago, We put a Man on the Moon . This is DOABLE .
          Last edited by toolaholic; 09-13-2018, 07:24 AM.
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

In the world of make believe, Ridgid makes all sorts of cordless tools and accessories, here on planet earth Ridgid does not offer what the other brands do.

Comment

one of my other hobbies is Ham Radio.
              Motorola makes a 2way radio version of what you guys are talking about and automatically selects voltage.
              they call it a BMS, Battery Maintenance System that you can install different battery adapters for motorola AND other radio manufacturers.
              newer versions called BMS plus do Lithium Ion auto select with certain adapters designed for lithium ion, and older versions of the main BMS can usually be upgraded.
              https://www.motorolasolutions.com/en...baccessoryinfo

some of the newer analyzers use :Impres" technology, similar in some ways to the new Bluetooth notifications, Impres can tell you how many times the battery has been charged, it can recondition older batts and tell you how much service life is left in the pack.

it would be cool to have a charger not only tell you the tool pack is charged, but tell you remaining life.

I share this to say that it is entirely possible for someone to do this with a tool battery config.
              Last edited by UTILITYMETERREPAIR; 09-17-2018, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Tanks UTE . You bring a lot of knowledge to this forum . Hope You post often. What's Your take on the Columbia Gas Disaster in Lawrence and Andover Mass? Our PG&E GAS METERS HAVE AN OVER PRESSURE BLOW OFF VENTED TO OUTSIDE OUR HOME. WHY DOESN'T EVERYONE ?? tOOL

Comment

I work with Water meters on a daily basis, but im interested in other meters aswell. i have a bunch of electric meters in my home recording every breaker circuit. i don't have gas at my home so i dont have any Gas meters as of yet. i have thought about getting a gas grill and installing a small meter on it.

i have read some on the incident, but i have not seen any pressure specifics from that incident. one of my dads was a Pipe fitter for a Michigan Gas company and he shared many stories with me back in the day. i remember he said his utility truck had natural gas sniffers mounted to the bumper and would alert him to any gas in the air as he was driving around town. he told me a story one time where there was a pressure regulator failure and it caused gas pilot lights to become much larger for a time. he also explained that back in the 1950s they did not have the natural gas distribution like they have today, they would take coal and process it a certain way and they somehow extracted gas from the coal, then pumped it thru the city.

this is an interesting page that lists general pressures.

https://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/G...php#NaturalGas

Last edited by UTILITYMETERREPAIR; 09-23-2018, 08:24 PM.

Comment

As a utility lineman in NYC, after venting a manhole, we would test with an explosimeter. It did not register gasoline, or dead air.
                    Last edited by Frankiarmz; 09-17-2018, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johncameron View Post
                      Many of the same ports is a good idea, but not one that would do all brands. You cant rely on someone to select voltage it must be keyed/dedicated to the correct battery.
                      There are many types of batteries with different charge rates and such. There would also be liabilities of using one brand charger to charge third-party batteries. Plus it would be quite expensive and probably not marketable.

For that reason....I'm out.

Voltages and amp draws can be detected.

my guess is this is not so much a technical issue but various brands have patented their respective shoe configuration so it cannot be duplicated by other brands.

Even companies who owns multiple brands like SBD, TTI etc...are not consolidating the brand batteries under their own umbrellas.

It could be they worry about cannibalism of the branding themselves.

The only time I saw a lot of cross brand compatibility is when OMT tools came out with blade adapters for other brands, then the universal blades, so customers no longer need to choose the OMT tool based on blade quality, price and availability.

Comment

Originally posted by miamicuse View Post

Voltages and amp draws can be detected.

my guess is this is not so much a technical issue but various brands have patented..
                        Yes, but not always reliably.

If someone was to plug in say a lithium ion battery or a nickel cadmium battery some smart chargers are able to detect the difference in chemistry but not reliably enough to always do so for all types of batteries.
                        Even if it detects the correct battery type, it must also detect the voltage and capacity.
                        That's not always so simple on a totally dead battery.

To fully rely on just this auto-detect feature would certainly be opening up oneself for a huge liability when a battery explodes or causes a fire.
                        This is why they key a battery (plug shape) where it will only plug into an appropriate charger. If a charger can be preprogrammed what types of batteries will be installed, it makes it much easier to detect the correct battery type so it can select the correct charge rate.
                        Relying on just a person to just hit a button to select the voltage of the battery would be a disaster waiting to happen also.

Yes, liability and patient infringement play a huge role as to why we don't see them on the market. Also the simple reason many people primarily use only one brand of battery at a time.

Comment

WERE LUCKY 2 HAVE YOU jOHN

Comment

Working...
                          X