spindles, nails and cracking :-(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spindles, nails and cracking :-(

OK, This sucks...the damn spindles crack when I peg um with my framing nailer. The smallest hot dipped galvanized I could find was 2 3/8"

I couldn't find and stainless steel either....then again, I looked in my local hardware and home depot.

I picked up some regular galvanized 2" for my finishing nailer and some adhesive – I didn’t get Gorilla glue since I could see me making a real mess with it. But I spoke to the guy at home depot and he was convinced the tube of exterior adhesive would work well. I figure I’d glue um, hit the galvanized 2” into them and in a year or so when the nail decays due to the ACQ the glue will still hold strong.

Anything flawed in my thinking here? I haven’t started it yet and I am only into it for $20 in glue and nails…..

I thought I would be able to work a little in the evenings after work….but the kids always have other plans….this deck is going to take me a while if its weekends only.

That should work. I had a picnic table rot on me and the PL premium made it difficult to take apart

Comment

Look for stainless (and other non reactive) fasteners at your local industrial marine/off-shore supplier.

Most will carry a full line of nails, brads, pins, and staples for nail-guns as well as square, hex, and torx head screws, bolts, and washers.

If you don't have one in your town, let me know and I will get you the name and number of a reputable supplier.

[ 05-27-2005, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Desmo888 ]

Comment

Stainless steel fasteners are available at ACE hardware stores. They usually have them in boxes of 100, as well as per-each. (If you don'tsee them in boxes, ask.) I just got a box of 100 2" #8 pan head stainless steel screws for $12.99, versus the 2 for $.99 at Home Depot.
        Nolo illigitamati carborundum

Comment

Working...
        X