Lsa rip-off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lsa rip-off

I my drill and impact set. Impressed with the life time service. So I bought several sets. Registered them all. Just carried my drill in to get it repaired/replaced. Was told it would take 6 weeks.......... SIX WEEKS. AND THEY WANT $20.51 fir some reason. This is absolutely insane. I feel like I have been mislead, lied to, screwed and cheated. I feel like I have been duped. The poor people standing at the counter have no way of helping. I promise there will never be another dime of my personal or business dimes spent on another ridgid ever again. Absolutely ridiculous. I am furious with the thought of not having a tool I was promised to be replaced, will not be fixed for 6 weeks.

Absolutely sucks

I presume the charge is because you took it to Home Depot, instead of contacting your nearest Authorized Service Center instead? Of course we wouldn't possibly think that HD would tell you this, but you can look up the nearest service center here on this website, and just contact them directly. I do this and have never once been charged a handling fee. As far as the time it might take to service your tools, that would be up to the Service Center. While I don't expect overnight service, my three experiences have never been longer than two weeks.

(Note that depending on location, you may deliver the tools there or send them through UPS, etc. at your own charge [they pay the shipping back]. This really is no different than taking any other purchase in for service, for example you can't expect the garage to pay for you gas, taking your car in.)

Good luck,

CWS
    Last edited by CWSmith; 01-23-2019, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Are you paid to be the positive guiding force for ridgid? Your assumptions amaze me. I did ask the person at rigid service hotline. She told ne the closest service center was in Oklahoma. I am inDallas. That in it self seemed to be an unbelievable option. I will stick with my impression and judgement of JUNK. And by all means you continue down your path. I will not buy another ridgid anything and you again are free to do what you will. I am happy that your lil acre of paradise is perfect. Thank you for your glowing opinion on a horrific customer service issue. I did not force ridgid to offer LSA. But they did. Sold many items. Then made the process a frickin nightmare and complete headache for any resolution. In my opinion.
      Please. Have a nice day.

Comment

• CWSmith
        CWSmith commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry you're having a bad day!

NO, I'm not being paid by anyone, like almost forever I'm a pretty independent guy in almost every aspect. But that said, I find it all too necessary to attempt helping others, despite attitudes! You were charged a fee by Home Depot because that is their policy when they have to act as a 'middle man" when customers can't figure it out for themselves, or just prefer not to bother with such details. You can't expect anyone to just do the work for you without getting paid (except here on this forum!).

The LSA states that once you have properly registered your Ridgid purchase and had it confirmed, you are entitled to a "Lifetime Service Agreement". When service is required, you simply look up to find where your nearest authorized service place is, and then you contact them and, by whatever means, you get them the tool so they can service it. There is NO guarantee or statements that indicate shipment to them is their responsibility or that they will service the tool within a stated time. Schedules and workloads are what they are.

Home Depot realized a few years ago that there are customers, perhaps like yourself, who do not wish, or know how, to handle the task and therefore started offering the service of doing this for you.... BUT, they charge for that!

Of course, it is your choice on what you want to buy, and likewise it is your choice how you want to handle whatever service issues you have. YOU don't like the answers, that is also YOUR choice. Personally, I don't care what you do, but you posted the grievance and I was nice enough to give you an honest answer from my knowledge and experience. Maybe you just need to make some attempt to be a bit happier with your choices and recognize that such things are not the fault of people who attempt to help you!
        Last edited by CWSmith; 01-24-2019, 12:44 PM.

I almost forgot.
      Do you know why they charge the $20.xx fee?
      I inquired. So if the item has been abused or mishandled. A loop hole. My drill lives in. The zip up bag I got it in. Not a mark on it. The label is on it and legible. Never dropped or thrown in the back of the truck. Never beaten with a hammer. So, I would think the guy at the counter if home depot could tell if that unit had been abused. AGAIN this is my opinion, on a sorry program. Ohhh I did overlook 1 item, maybe ridgid just thinks anyone working a counter at Home Depot to be an idiot that is incapable of telling if an item had been abused. Could that be it? I certainly hope not.
      Oh I know what you are going to say next in defense of the mothership. How can you tell just by looking!? Well. Would the internals of the chuck and gear drive be damaged with just normal usage? Like running screws or heaven forbid drilling holes!?
      You see, that?s what happened to mine. It just stopped driving the bit. Motor runs but no bit turn. My guess. The gears stripped. Of course I didn?t read that in a tech manual. Just an assumption. I am done. With all of this.
      I violated my oath to never enter the forum domains again and I did. Got what I deserved. What everyone gets that tries to get information in a forum. The door watcher, the gate keeper.
      And nothing matters at all but that persons opinion on other people?s burdens.
      please. Have a blessed day.

Comment

• Mightyservant
        Mightyservant commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you ok?

I can assure you there are no "gate keepers" on this forum and I'd say you can find the toughest critics of Ridgid power tools here. However markmc60, attitude goes a long way here.

You will also find a number of members who have enjoyed many years of success with the LSA and will be happy to help you navigate the registration and service process. Many others have had issues with the LSA and your just the latest installment which is an unfortunate development it appears.

CWS Is one of several very knowledgable forum members of the LSA , Ridgid power tools, and many other interesting subjects. He can help you get back on track. Or as some members will do and that is to forgo the registration process altogether and buy a new tool when and old one comes to greif.

• CWSmith
        CWSmith commented
        Editing a comment
        Mightyservant,

Thanks!

I just purchased the MegaMax SDS Rotary Hammer Head. I filled out the online form, carefully checking all the numbers and sent it in. I also uploaded my receipt from the online purchase at Home Depot. I did this the day I received the product, 22jan19. This morning I received the "there is a problem with your registration...." This is the fifth time I've had this problem. I used to mail in the receipt but thought uploading it would help. I went to my Ridgid account to where you upload or look at your receipts, and there it was in my account. So I guess the registration department doesn't check for uploaded receipts? Pretty bad service.

Comment

• Mightyservant
        Mightyservant commented
        Editing a comment
        So are you good to go now or is it still *ucked up?

• Bob D.
        Bob D. commented
        Editing a comment
        The data from HD may not have reached RIDGID in less than a day. I have had the same problem as you when I registered the same day that I purchased. Now I wait a couple days and have only had the 'problem' issue once.

Maybe check back in a day or two or if it has been a few days try calling and see if someone in CS can fix it for you.

I also have a problem with the tool repair charge by Home Depot.

However, I would say their battery replacement is very easy. Your battery goes bad, you call a 800 number, they verified my registration, I told them which battery went bad, they sent a new one in the mail, and I received it in a week.

The tool charge, from what Home Depot told me, is more like an "deposit". Your bring in a tool, say a drill, and they collect $20 or $19.99 or whatever, the person receiving the tool will not do any diagnosis on the tool, but instead will send it in for review. This tool is then evaluated to determine if it is a defect, or wear and tear. If it's a defect, they repair or replace it free, and you get your $20 back. If it's wear and tear, or misuse (like being dropped, or left outside when freezing or raining or whatever), they will give you a quote for the repair, say $125. You can either pay the $125 for them to repair it, or you decline the repair and get your tool back and lose the $20. Last time I was trying to get an impact repaired, the HD Pro desk told me over 50% of their Ridgid repairs were deemed wear and tear. Why would I pay $125 to repair an impact, when a new one is $99? So I didn't bother to send it in since I have two other laying around.

Comment

• Bob D.
        Bob D. commented
        Editing a comment
        To me this is a way to steal $20 from anyone who submits their tool for repair. If they don't trust the person receiving the tool to make a determination of abuse on receipt then what good are they. Just send it in directly by mail for which I believe there is no 'deposit' (aka rip-off). I may be wrong on that but I thought I remembered reading that on the web page about repairs.

So as was said you can see that some of the long time members are also their harshest critics. I have no love for the LSA, I find it cumbersome and more of an obstacle course than it needs to be. But it's their game so if you want to play you have to follow their rules, or play elsewhere like DeWalt or some other brand not part of the TTI Global Tool Consortium.

The HD's here all charge a $20 deposit for trouble shooting any tool brand prior to a warranty claim. If it's a legit claim you get your money back. As miamicuse said if it's wear and tear then no cigar.

Comment

• BadgerDave
        BadgerDave commented
        Editing a comment
        For the repair of a RIDGID tool, properly registered into the LSA Program, normal wear and tear should not be an issue at all. Has TTI ever published publicly what their guidelines are for what is considered abuse? If not then they should fix any LSA qualifying tool that is sent in for repair, no questions asked.

I think it more than fair for them to charge a small fee to trouble shoot and identify tool issues. Think about all the other tool brands and types of tools they have. Trouble shooting a socket wrench might take a minute but a pressure washer might be more time consuming. By the time those guys get done signing in a tool and going over the process with a customer it becomes apparent to me why they charge a fee. They seem pretty thorough and often have a backlog of repairs. But I can't blame them if they want a customer to have some skin in the game and not bring in tools frivolously.

Comment

In terms of "wear and tear or abuse" vs "defect", I am not sure. I was kind of shock to hear the HD rep told me over 50% of stuff they sent back were deemed wear and tear or abuse.

How do they tell? For example, if they find water inside the guts they know you left it in the rain or dropped it in a swimming pool.

I was also told more and more tools (not just Ridgid) will have built in sensors. They can record min and max temperature exposed to, if it was dropped what the impact force was etc...so increasingly they can tell what you did or did not do.

I was also surprised he told me one drill was sent in because the bit was wobbling too much and it was tagged "wear and tear".

We on the consumer side don't know what goes on the Ridgid side. Are Ridgid tools covered under LSA cause the users to care less about their tools? Like knowing a nailer was left on the roof but say to himself "well I am not going to take the ladder out again, I'll get it tomorrow" and left it to the sun and rain, because hey why not, I have it covered under LSA! May be it was a countermove to that?

It didn't use to be that way, the local HD will diagnose the tools. Now they send it to Atlanta. Also you used to have to bring in a whole kit, even though what was broken was only say a drill. Now just the broken tool and they send it in.
        Last edited by miamicuse; 01-25-2019, 07:34 PM.

Comment

We use DeWalt for just about everything and we repair our tools in the shop. Our daily use can often be described as abusive since we often work in harsher conditions including rain and mud. When the meter is running and you have deadlines to make there is often no time to let a tool cool down or wipe off water or mud.

Granted, knowing we can get a replacement sent out in an hour has spoiled us. A full time mechanic does the maintenance and repair on those as well as all other tools and vehicles and he's pretty good at what he does in that he will trouble shoot and nail down the exact problem wether it's a Diesel engine or SDS drill.

A lot of how a store might treat there customers probably depends on the type of customer they typically have. There is a big difference at least in my town. If a store is getting hammered they might tighten things up. I notice that the HD nearer to me is flogged mercilessly by questionable "contractors" as well as less informed customers. A different location with a more competent group of contractors and customers offer a well organized, better more knowledgable and helpful staff.

Comment

I go to lowes. Buy the "no hassle" kobalt brand. If it breaks I go to the desk, turn it in, and walk out with a new tool. Craftsman was that way back in the day, too. DeWalt may still be... This whole LSA thing with Ridgid is a (scam?) fiasco for sure. It's not easy to register, nor easy use in the event of a problem. Im sure there's a few good experiences but by far, we've had more complaints on here than anything else. An internet search reveals much of the same.
            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

• VA plumber
              VA plumber commented
              Editing a comment
              I've had issues with Lowe's and their "no hassle exchange" on Kobalt tools. Last time I went was for a broken ratcheting wrench. It took a half hour to do the exchange since the employees didn't know exactly what to do and they kept arguing that I needed the receipt. I finally ended up having my U.S.A. made tool switched out for a Chinese one and it wasn't even a flex head like my old one.
              I don't know if I'm going to give up on the brand due to a few bad experiences, most likely due to untrained employees.

• Plumber Punky
              Plumber Punky commented
              Editing a comment
              You have to go back to get the tool you need. Then wave the "no hassle guarantee" language on the tag in front of a manager. Like any other box corporation they have high turnover and training takes a hit.

I can understand where you're coming from. I was also surprised when I had to leave a deposit at Home Depot when I took in my 24v reciprocating saw. It took a few weeks to get my new saw. That's right- a new saw. They no longer make the 24 volt saws like that one I bought about 10 years earlier and put through a decade of use. So instead of sending it back saying they can't fix it they sent me a new Octane saw with a new charger and 2 new batteries. Oh, and I got my $20 back.
            Can you let me know if any of the other big brands offer a warranty like that? And that's not even bringing into account many batteries they've replaced under warranty after 5+ years of use. I didn't even have to leave my house for those. I just called them in and they shipped the replacements right to my front door.
            Based on your previous posts I'm guessing you'll call me a Ridgid fanboy. That's fine. Even though I have a mix of many tools; Harbor Freight, Milwaukee, Dewalt, Craftsman, Kobalt... I could go on and on. I just prefer to keep Ridgid power tools in my work vehicle since they get the most use and I know the warranty will cover me. I have duplicates of most tools so I don't mind waiting a week or 2.

Comment

• Mightyservant
              Mightyservant commented
              Editing a comment
              Boom ...that's how is supposed to work.

I don?t know if this helps but I just went through my local HD as that was the closest service center per ridgid instructions and when I received the tool back from service the 20 dollar fee was refunded costing me nothing all said and done

Comment

• Mightyservant
              Mightyservant commented
              Editing a comment
              Correct, you get the 20 back if it end up being a warrenty issue....for any tool brands under warranty.

CWSmith
            --You seem to have a lot of help for people and to you Ridgid can do no wrong. I have a R888 hand planer that I really like. It takes the same blades as an R848. I saw you purchased one several years ago, where can I find new blades now that Ridgid has quit making them. Don't get me too wrong, I like Ridigd tools. Decent tools and I like that they kept the battery platform the same thru to use there Lipo battery when others haven't. I have dealt with customer no service other places and I
            doubt that
            markmc60
            is completely at fault. Just my take on it.

Comment

• CWSmith
              CWSmith commented
              Editing a comment
              Dewey,

I'm no different than other veteran posters here on the Ridgid forum, perhaps a bit dumber in many respects. I do like to help where I can though. Unfortunately, I do not have the R888 or the previous R848 hand planers. I did look at one a few years ago, but decided my old Stanley # 3 was still serving me well enough. (I do have both Ridgid's stationary thickness planer and their planer/joiner though, and blades for those are carried by Grizzly.(https://www.grizzly.com), so perhaps they may have them for the powered hand planer too. I don't know what size the Ridgid R888 or R848 are, otherwise I'd look them up for you.

As far as your comment that I might view "Ridgid can do no wrong".... I certainly do NOT think that way. I am very much a critic, as I think their service could be greatly improved. That said, I cannot tell you how frustrated I find people's misinterpretation of their warranty and especially the Ridgid LSA. It's pretty damn simple, and yet there are hundreds of postings by those who don't seem bothered enough to read and understand the parameters, preferring to complain about how they feel they are being cheated.

That aside, I hope you can find the blades you need... and I think it's ridiculous that Ridgid doesn't stand behind their product and continue to sell or at least point you to a proper supplier! The problem with any tool, is that the market is somewhat limited and I think that product engineering and marketing is forced to put a limit on parts support, even IBM in its 'heyday' did that. Tools are generally planned to have a limited lifetime and spare parts are made and stocked with that in mind... eventually that parts stock will run out, for almost anything you buy, even if it's from a third-party supplier.

CWS
              Last edited by CWSmith; 02-26-2019, 07:57 PM.

• Mightyservant
              Mightyservant commented
              Editing a comment
              I think we all really want to love everything Ridgid does since many of us use the plumbing, piping, drain cleaning tools and wet dry vacs and have very few issues.

But most of us recognize that Ridgid power tools from TTI is a whole other story. Some of the tools are excellent while they work but when they don't getting parts is spotty at best. Not being able to find blades is disgraceful why not use a standard design?

It's a little embarrassing I feel that Ridgid brand get sullied by this arrangement with TTI. I feel the only way to improve the power tool lineup is by not purchasing TTI products. Maybe they improve the lineup or stop pretending to make quality power tools.

Try E-bay for replacement blades. Home Depot never offered replacement blades for the 18V planer.
            The various parts suppliers also indicate no longer offered.

Just type in the model number of the planer and replacement blades...
            Be aware they will not be cheap but they are still out there.

Cactus Man

Comment

Working...
            X