No announcement yet.

Lifetime Warranty Returning?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ang- I have to respectfully disagree with you on batteries. Cycles or how they discharge or big corporate secrets among big tool makers. Just log on to Milwaukeetool.com or Boschtool.com and you can ask a live representative(chat)that question. They will tell you its not disclosed due to competitive advantage

Battery life is a big deal if your an everyday user like me. If that were true, I would keep on buying $29 18vlt cordlesses that have no brand.

Don't tell it too the guys who swear by battery life with NI-Mh with Panasonic or Makita.

Though I do believe batteries are marked up 1000% to make enough more to research and develop more tools.

Kudos to the guy who still likes corded tools....Your're right on target.

Comment

Batteries are probably not any different than any other product. Manufacturers make them to last long so they don't get a bad reputation for poor quality, but not so long where you don't have to replace them. For the Ridgid 3-piece combo, they give you two batteries, and they are adding a third free one. At $79 each, these three batteries would cost alone what the charger and drill and saw almost cost combined, so you know there is some good profit in those $79 batteries.

As for NI-Mh, I don't think they are the best choice for a drill or saw. They cost more, don't last any longer, and have a higher internal resistance, which limits their peak power. If they were better everyone would use them, and they don't.

Comment

ang's observations are spot on with my experience (tools and radio control cars). I've had drills that came with 2 batteries where one pack died within a year and the other lasted several years. In a lot of 4 R/C car batteries I bought once, the best pack had over twice the performance of the worst. I'm not surprised that tool makers are as reluctant to specify battery life as auto makers are about oil consumption. Everyone knows a new vehicle should burn less than 1 quart in 3000 mi. But you would have to be spewing wet oil out of your tailpipe for them to even consider replacing your engine. Tools are no different. The battery will probably need to be unchargeable or less than 1/2 minimum capacity before you'll get a replacement.

Its easy to understand how batttery performance can be so variable. It only takes one weak cell to drag down the whole pack. Elementary statistics says that even with a failure/low performance rate of only 1% per cell, a 15 cell 18V pack would be .99^15 or 86% reliable. That's a 14% chance a pack will perform significantly below average. You could use higher reliability cells or 100% testing to improve confidence, but that's just not going to happen in a consumer priced tool.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't use cordless tools. For me the benefits are worth the risk of gettin a low performing battery. Besides, quality extension cords are just as much a rip-off as batteries. They also have a pretty high risk of being trashed. Not to mention the cord wars you can get with multiple subs on a job.

Comment

heres a tip: drain and recharge your batteries from time to time, even if you dont get to use your unit that often.. it will prolong the life of the batteries substantially. but i still have to see a battery that never fails..

Comment

Ridgid is a "new"player in the power tool market. Some of the brands have been around for over 50 years. You have a lot of brand only shopping going on. A lifetime warranty does not say much but is is a way to show comitment. Hundai was a pretty lame car when it firt arrived. They stood behind it and improved their product. Guess what? The Sonata just moved ahead of Toyota Camry in inital quality per. J.D.Power.This is how to build a product name. You support your product with a premium warranty until your brand can stand on it's own.

Comment

I'd still never buy a hyndai. If a manufacturer wants to be known for quality products they should make them right from day one. Not offer bad products with good warranties and hope to get their act together years down the line. There is plenty of competition in every business where you don't have to buy poor quality. If people wouldn't buy garbage, then manufacturers will stop making garbage.
              www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rafael:
                If people wouldn't buy garbage, then manufacturers will stop making garbage.
                Here, here, I totally agree. Rafael for President!
                I decided to change calling the bathroom the "John" and renamed it the "Jim". I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

Comment

rafeal:

I agree with you as well but the hard part that manufactures have is exactly what Ridgid is running into. They have had some glitches in their tools that simply come from not having years of experaince. Things like chuck wobble, battery life, chargers malfunction, drills smoking and what not that have littered this forum. Now buy offering the lifetime Warrenty when they did they get people to buy the tools worry free and get to find out where they made their mistakes and from there they can hopefully make improvements....it is not that they are making crap it is just that they need these tools in the hands of contractors and the only two ways is to give it away free or with a sick warrenty.

Comment

ridgid is not making these new tools, they are being made by a manufacturer that has years of experience making tools under many other labels. Chuck wobble means a cheap chuck, drills smoking means a cheap motor, but these problems, and many of the others, are possibly bad quality control. 3 major reasons for a bad product: bad components,bad design, bad quality control. Which is it with ridgid new cordless tools?
                    And yes, a good way to test these tools before selling them is giving them away to people who will use them daily.
                    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Wow, away from the forum for two months, and still the same stuff being talked about.

First, the Ridgid stuff is of good quality. We have some contractors in here now who swear that these are the nicest drills they have used. I have a 12v model and the clutch and drill have worked perfectly.

Second, anyone who claims that warranty is last on their list is nuts. Sure, product quality is tops for most people, bet when it comes right down to it, who would be buying Milwaukee products if they only offered a 90 day warranty? I'm sure a lot less people would. Remember, cervice centers service all the major brands because all the major brands break down and need servicing. they all have bad products. It's unavoidable to not have QC problems slip through.

Personally, I'm glad that Ridgid has great waranties. IMO, because of Ridgid, Delta now has 5 year on many tools. (also costs more) Jet has lifetime on many, as do others now. Even DeWalt has gotten into the mix by offering 2 year warranties on new batteries purchased. As a consumer, we are better off. Tools will not be made cheaper because of warranties, as the cost to warranty will eat up savings.

Comment

Originally posted by jip:
                        I always look at Warranty when I buy anything. I would love to see the lifetime warranty come back on the Ridgid tools.

All tools will break eventually. If I pony up a substantial of change on a product and know that I can replace/fix it anytime it breaks, then I am a happy customer.
                        - J
                        Even the original "Lifetime" warranty on Ridgid DID NOT cover normal wear and tear over the lifetime of the tool, ONLY manufacturing or material defects. If you use your tool (tablesaw, jointer, drill press, whatever) heavy for five years and a bearing gives up the ghost due to use, heat and sawdust then it is not covered and you will pay for the replacement and/or the repair cost.

gator

Comment

Working...
                        X