X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifetime Warranty Returning?

I recently had several HD tool salespeople tell me that they expect the Ridgid cordless Lifetime Warranty deal to return again - probably over Christmas 2004.

Is this likely?

If you heard it from a HD employee than it probably isn't going to happen.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Support Our Troops!
      www.mnpatriotguard.org
      www.patriotguard.org

Comment

I bet it will return.

I laugh everytime I hear people talk about the "lifetime warranty". I'm not trying to group all Ridgid users into one category, but there is a large group of power tool users who are buying solely on warranty. It makes me wonder if they are all driving Kia's or Hyundai's or whatever car has the best "warranty".

Buy your tools based on performance, track record, and (dare I say it) personal preferrence. Don't follow the crowd. f you dig Ridgid, great! But don't buy Ridgid just because a smile crosses your lips when you think about how many batteries Home Depot is going to have to eat over the lifetime warranty on your tools.

I posted this earlier but it applies here:

Just to touch on the Ridgid "lifetime" warranty on the power tools: it's a gimmick, it's marketing, it's designed to get sales, and worry about what happens later. The tools will not last forever and if you get more than 2 years of good use out of a battery, count yourself lucky. Free batteries for life? Yeah Home Depot is going to eat that one, but you know what?? They sold a lot of tools last year. Hold on and wait for the 4th quarter Ridgid promotion. Whatever it ends up being, it will have to be good because they have some big numbers to meet or beat and without the "lifetime" warranty, they just ain't that good.

Comment

Originally posted by kahootz:
          ...........They sold a lot of tools last year. Hold on and wait for the 4th quarter Ridgid promotion. Whatever it ends up being, it will have to be good because they have some big numbers to meet or beat...................
          You made this exact claim in another post. Care to explain exactly what it is you mean by "big numbers to meet or beat"?

You're also incorrect, or at the very least premature, in claiming that batteries purchased with tools during the lifetime warranty promotion won't be replaced free of charge when they fail. RIDGID has stated many time, on this very forum, that they indeed will be replaced free of charge when they fail.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Home Depot and TTI are public companies. This means they need to continue to grow. They need about 10% growth every year or else people will pull their money from the companies and invest it somewhere else. If they do not show growth, they have people to answer to.

That being said, they sold a lot of tools last year SOLELY ON THE LIFETIME WARRANTY. Anyone who disputes this is in denial. Free batteries for life? It's an easy sell. Everyone know batteries do not last forever.

I never said that Ridgid would not replace their batteries. They will. I was stating that for the users who only have the three year warranty.

These tools are not 'lifetime warranty' good. They are good, but that's it. The lifetime warranty is not some badge that only Ridgid can place on their tools because they are something special. Anyone can do a lifetime warranty and eat it afterwards (like Ridgid will do on batteries for example). Lifetime warranty is a sales and marketing ploy to get end users locked into the Ridgid system.

One last note about
            RIDGID has stated many time, on this very forum, that they indeed will be replaced free of charge when they fail.
            again, it's not that these tools are so much better than the competition. Ridgid is just going to eat it on many occasions. Your wording is perfect. Not IF they fail, WHEN they fail.

Comment

Power Tools is not the only place where TTi and Home Depot have places to meet your 10% growth expectations. Neither one has all their eggs in just this one basket. There is more to it than that alone that drives something like a change or extension of a warranty. Part of it is staying on par with the competition that moved their warranty and promotional offers.

RIDGID will support and stand behind the Lifetime Warranty initially offered on the power tools and we will stand behind those who purchase under the 3 Year Service Warranty. Everyone else moved their warranty in the industry as a result of our launch. That is not a sign of us, or them having a bad tool in and of itself. People do not buy tools solely on price - its a question of the total package and warranty is a strong part of it. Especially when you are launching into a strong market like power tools. Yes its marketing, but it is also standing behind a good tool that is designed to be the best in its class, product for product.

Batteries are not designed nor intended to last forever, unless you are a casual user of tools. We understand, and look forward to RIDGID users coming back to us for replacement batteries under the terms of our warranties or promotions.

Comment

I have to agree with Kahootz, at least to a lifetime warranty being a main factor in your decission making. A warranty is always low on my list of reasons to buy, simply because even with the best customer service, a broken tool is unusable and means down time or buying a duplicate. I'd much rather pick a tool with a good reputation for not needing repairs.

From what I've seen on this board, Ridgid's service is improving, but, while we may not know the proportional sales, it sure seems ironic the HD rumor was about the cordless tools, which on this forum, sure do seem to have many more problems than the new corded power tools.
                Dave

Comment

Well, I posted the reasons why the cordless give headaches and the corded do not but it was DELETED. Funny, I'm not sure why. Nothing in it was a secret. It really makes you wonder how long they think they can keep this up. PM me for details. No yawning allowed.

Comment

BrandMan stated that batteries wont last forever unless used by a casual user. It does not matter if you are using your batteries every day, all day or leave them sitting on a shelf, they will go bad, usually in 2-3 years. Hard use will cause them to fail more quickly, though.

Comment

RS----think you're underestimating good battery performance. I have two Makita products---drill and impact driver---the impact driver (used infrequently) is 13 years old and still holds effective charge---the drill is 8 years old and used on just about every home improvement and ww'ing project---still going strong, though the charger failed----new charger---top notch battery life. Now, if this was a HF or other cheapo less reliable brand, you're 2-3 years might have validity.
                      Dave

Comment

Dave I have to agree. I have a Craftsman ( made by skill) 12 V that gets used when my other 3 drills are in some other part of the house IE very very rearly, it is about 15 years old and still holds an effective charge. Funny thing is the guy that came to install my windows has the same skill 15 year old drill that he uses every day all day and it just wont give up, not sure how old hois battery is but I have not seen them on the shelves for several years

Comment

Batteries are strange things. I have rechargeables that are 15 years old, get alot of use and still work well. I had a 6 month old rechargeable that just died. I had a flashlight with disposables that I used maybe twice a year where the batteries were about 10 years old before they died.They are not predictable.
                          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I always look at Warranty when I buy anything. I would love to see the lifetime warranty come back on the Ridgid tools.

All tools will break eventually. If I pony up a substantial of change on a product and know that I can replace/fix it anytime it breaks, then I am a happy customer. I have used the extended warranty service on many products in many occassions. I don't care too much about the downtime as long as I don't lose my initial investment. Some may argue time is money, but for a weekend hobbiest like myself, money is money. Time is less significant for me since I don't rely on these tools to make a living.

- J

Comment

What I have seen, is that the batteries in most products are the same, no matter who makes them. In drills, Sanyo batteries are used quite often. To a large part, its the charger, and how you take care of the batteries that determine how long they live. Most claim 500 - 1000 charge cycles, which is pretty good, if they actually lived that long. From my experience, NiCad batteries almost never fail from too many charge cycles, but rather cells short out one by one. if 2 or 3 short, the charger will say that the battery is "bad." In many cases, I've actually taked the battery packs apart, "fixed" the bad cells, and the battery pack has given me many more years of life.

The good news is that newer "fast" chargers seem to be better at preventing these shorts than previous "slow" chargers. The bad new is that if you charge a batter in 30 minutes, the charge doesn't last as long as a slow charge does in the same battery.

You can also help with good NiCad care. Store and charge cells where its 50 - 80 degrees. Store cells charged. Wear down the device before you recharge the batteries, and if you don't use batteries for a month, recharge them so they don't stay discharged.

Comment

Working...
                              X