Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Kreg Track Saw Cutting System (TTI asleep at the wheel again)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Kreg Track Saw Cutting System (TTI asleep at the wheel again)

Don't know why TTI didn't come out with this long ago in either Milwaukee red or RIDGID orange over a year ago.

This whole system including the cutting table is going to be very popular. Looks like it will be around $1000 for the
    table with accessories and the track saw. I know many will say way too expensive but it is a lot less than the Festool
    equivalent that it is derived from. But the cutting table looks to be more portable. Haven't seen one up close yet only
    photos on the web but watching the video it looks good at first glance.

For those with limited space a track saw can replace a table saw for many cutting operations and is safer in many ways.
    Along with a router (and I would expect Kreg will come out with a router base to use with the track) most operations
    that can be performed on a table saw can be done using this system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Jdo_R_ANI
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Just looked at Kreg's website and they have the Master Cutting System listed at $899 so you can expect it to be available for less than that after the initial thrill wears off.
    Says it's not available yet but online sellers like ToolNut have it listed.

https://www.kregtool.com/store/c73/s...em-master-kit/

----

Comment

I was looking at it yesterday. I get the Kreg newsletter. It looks quite impressive. I'll give it a few months to see the reviews and hope the price comes down.

Comment

Kregs track saw offering is probably right about my speed, I keep looking at track saws but man I just keep choking on the price of them. I don't make furniture but it seems lately I'm cutting down sheets which is a PIA. I'm going to take Marks suggestion and install shear panels on a few walls that I have open and that rig would come in handy. I have a few of there products and even though its high priced plastic they work well.

Comment

• BadgerDave
          BadgerDave commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not trying to be a commercial here but you might want to take a look at this system, https://www.menards.com/main/tools-h...2394312&ipos=5 . For someone like myself who only wanted something to rough cut panels to approximate size I've found this saw to be just fine for my needs. It does take a little extra time to set everything up than its more expensive counterparts that don't require clamps for the tracks but not all that much. It does come with 110" of guide tracks so additional expense is not needed to cut 4x8 plywood the long way. I did change out the OEM blade right away and the difference in the quality of the cut was very noticeable.

The Kreg track saw is a bit more, $300 which is getting close to the DeWalt track saw in price and features.

DeWalt now has a 20v cordless version of their track saw. I am surprised that the Kreg is not a cordless but
        Kreg doesn't have any other power tools that are cordless so that would be a non-starter I think.

The Menards saw requires clamps or you just prefer to use the clamps. Almost every track saw I have seen
        or used works well without being clamped. Does the bottom side of the Menards track have a pair of soft
        neoprene or rubber strips? Those should be gripping the workpiece and keeping the track from sliding.

I use the clamps whenever I can, but most times they are not required I just don't have faith that I will
        not bump the track and ruin the cut, so I use the clamps. When cutting on the table I find I don't need
        the clamps.

But I have not used the Menards saw, only the DeWalt corded and the Festool 36v cordless.

----

Comment

Menards track saw is very interesting since it comes with the track included. Grizzly's is more not including the track, Shop fox is less not including the track both apear identical just different colors. Grizzly also has a mini track saw (4 1/2") for $120 which is intriguing. although it's limited to 1 1/16" cutting depth using the track. Perfect maybe?

Comment

Sorry I have not provided any links...
            I guess the new tool flavor now a days are the track saw systems.
            I found a lot on E-bay, and Eagle America in their newest catalog has a track saw system
            using the now [also] popular 4 1/2" compact saw; not great for us left handed folks:
            item# 415-5201 $159.00 including the saw!

Now for those of us with a 7 1/4" saw, a fellow on U-Tube shows how you can fabricate
            a track system for your specific saw. You use plywood and some scrap lumber you have in the
            workshop. My saw is for a left handed person so comfortable, easy to follow the line, and safe.

I also have a table saw and still find it useful as my shop space is limited ..so if I want to use
            a track saw I'd have to set up some saw horses outside and place some plywood as a table ...
            way too much work.

I also have some aluminum straight edge clamps that can secure across the long side
            of a full sheet of plywood and simply make a straight cut.

Other than the concept is very clever, especially for those not owning a table saw,
            what is the actual advantage of them?

My table saw allows me to set a myriad of angle cuts, dados etc.
            Most track saws are straight cuts and maybe a 45 degree cut of the saw is adjustable.

Cactus Man

Comment

I have home made circular saw guides for piecing out a sheet of ply, and they are quite accurate. They also double as dado guides for my router. So, don't see the need for me. Rather than an expensive track saw, I would rather see an inexpensive light collapsible platform for holding a full sheet of ply for cutting it. Getting a little long in the tooth to throw some 2x4s or foam board on the garage floor to make the cuts. LOL Saw horses with four 2x4s work, but needing several 4' horses also causes a storage problem.

Don't see a track saw replacing the TS any time soon.

I am right handed, but my "left hand" Porter Cable is the saw I always use.
              Last edited by Gofor; 02-05-2019, 05:58 PM.
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

• Mightyservant
                Mightyservant commented
                Editing a comment
                I see track saws getting used for all sort of cuts but I think they are best for cutting down sheets to manageable size and therefore supplementary to a table saw. Having said that it becomes a bit of a luxury although lately I'm struggling with that reasoning.

I'm not sure why a right hander wouldnt use a left hand saw but many dont probably not knowing there are options available. Not seeing the line really sucks.

When I've got a lot of rips on plywood at have cut at the lumberyard since they've got plenty of guys and lots of space and charge next to nothing. If I've got to rip something at home I use Kregs rip cut jig.

"Other than the concept is very clever, especially for those not owning a table saw,
              what is the actual advantage of them?"

A true track saw like the Festool or Mafell which have been around for over 15 years (so not that new) or the DeWalt or Makita saws (all four also make cordless versions) leave a nice clean cut that you will not get with your homebrew track cutting system. They protect and backup the edge of the workpiece as the blade rises up through the material and prevent splintering, many also protect the offcut piece from damage so it is not wasted. I used my circular saws with home made tracks/guides for many years and still do for rough cuts. But they in no way come close to the cut quality of my DeWalt or Festool track saws. I can't speak for the cut quality of the new Kreg or other newbies, they may or may not be worth the asking price which is significantly less than all the current track saws that have been on the market for years.

----

Comment

• Mightyservant
                Mightyservant commented
                Editing a comment
                Some of the home shows on public television have guys using track saws on stick framing. I guess they need to please the shows sponsor.

And I thought I was getting carried away using a miter saw on stick framing.

Kreg has an edge guide that might be for the budget minded https://youtu.be/8VBQioR224I

Festool also makes makes a track saw aimed at carpentry work (HKC-55) more than woodworking/cabinet making (TSC-55)

http://festoolownersgroup.com/festoo...-55-vs-hkc-55/
              Last edited by Bob D.; 02-07-2019, 05:04 AM.

----

Comment

Peter's YT video on using his track saw cutting station shows one advantage over a table saw. You would not want to attempt to stack and cut 5 pieces at once on a table saw. Yes you can do it if you use a sled, but the sled does limit the cuts you can use it on to mostly crosscuts or short rips (less than 24" for most table saws).

Last edited by Bob D.; 02-09-2019, 10:54 AM.

----

Comment

• Mightyservant
                  Mightyservant commented
                  Editing a comment
                  BobD any chance you can repost both those videos? Not sure if it's just me but they won't open.

I've seen a Festool saw being used for stick framing, it looked fairly painless but it could that a pro makes it look easy.
              Working...
              X