X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Narrow miter slot on TS3612

I recentely picked up a TS3612, and have run into the problem where the miter slots are narrower than a normal 3/4" TS miter slot.

The problem is I have a Delta 34-183 tenon jig which won't fit in the miter slot, even though it uses set screws to snug up the bar, without them it is still too wide.

My first thought was I could file the bar down on each side until it fits in the miter slot, since if I needed to take it to another TS, I could use the set screws.

I couldn't find a tenon jig from Ridgid, is one available? I know that some of the Craftsman saws also had this same problem, which were probably made by Emerson to begin with, so it seems that the Ridgid and Craftsman saws are in a class of their own when it comes to miter tracks.

What is reccomended? Can an extra miter bar be purchased that I can retrofit to the tenon jig I have? That way I wouldn't have to modify the miter bar on it and could save it for use later.

Does Ridgid have a tenon jig for sale as an accessory?

How have others gotten around this problem?
    Maestro - woodgeek in training

I too have a 3612 with a Delta tenoning jig. The miter slots on the 3612, at least on mine, are 3/4" exactly. I filed (actually sanded) down the bar a tad to fit in the slot. Works great.

Michael

Comment

Another idea is to go to a local metal fab shop and have a new bar made.
      Andy B.

Comment

ba-doyn, yep, that's exactly what I'll do. A few folks on the WoodNet forum suggested that and that seems to be about the easiest solution. Others have used the same jig by doing just that, sanding it down.
        Another idea is to go to a local metal fab shop and have a new bar made.
        I did think about doing that, or to buy another bar, but why should I when the fix is as simple as sanding/filing down the existing bar? It seems a disgrace to a piece of equipment that you have to go have a special bar fabricated everytime you want to add a jib to your table saw.

I'll tell you what, another idea is to track down the Emerson engineer that designed this POS track in the saws and whack him over the head with Delta bar, it's nice and sturdy...that is if someone hasn't got to him already...he's probably been clonked over the head several times over...

Comment

Thankfully I got some great advice from the folks on Woodnet: Powertools and did end up filing my miter bar down. I tried to sand it but don't have a power sander, and made better progress with a file in hand. I touch it up with steel wool, but it's in the slot now.

Good to have folks like the ones on WoodNet around when a question needs to be answered. The traffic on this Ridgid forum seems pretty light...

Thanks to the couple of you that did reply.

Comment

Maestro,

I agree about Woodnet. I'm on there also and have received tons of great info and tips from them.

Michael

Comment

WoodNet is a great site with some very knowledgeable people who are very willing to share their expertise.

WoodNet is also a site where you can find an awful lot of garbage talk. Many trolls live over there. The site does have a great feature that deals with that problem. If you so desire, you can block all the posts of anyone that you find particularily annoying.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave:
                WoodNet is also a site where you can find an awful lot of garbage talk. Many trolls live over there. The site does have a great feature that deals with that problem. If you so desire, you can block all the posts of anyone that you find particularily annoying.
                Hey mister, take this to the Non-tool related discussion forum and leave this area to us serious woodworkers! [img]redface.gif[/img] [img]redface.gif[/img]

Just wanted to make you feel at home!
                Lorax
                "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Originally posted by Lorax:
                  Hey mister, take this to the Non-tool related discussion forum and leave this area to us serious woodworkers! [img]redface.gif[/img] [img]redface.gif[/img]

Just wanted to make you feel at home!

-------------------------------------------------
                  ROTFLMAO
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

WoodNet is also a site where you can find an awful lot of garbage talk. Many trolls live over there. The site does have a great feature that deals with that problem. If you so desire, you can block all the posts of anyone that you find particularily annoying. [/QB]
                    Opposed to this site where there's barely an answer in some cases? I find it annoying that Ridgid doesn't monitor this site better, after all, would it be too much to have someone follow this site a bit better to provide better support to their customers? That would go a long way to buying customer loyalty.

While I agree that WoodNet can be harsh at times, I also find that Sawmill Creek can be a bit constipated. At least WoodNet calls it like it is, and I kinda like that. It's easy enough not to follow the threads the one find annoying on WoodNet, IMO.

This board just seems like a marketing venture for Ridgid, since they post so rarely. And it would be nice if Ridgid had some concern about the poorly assembled machines at HD, can't they send a rep out to assemble them for HD? Half the Ridgid equipment is falling around the floor, barely held together with loose bolts. I always see the Hilti rep making sure everything is setup properly in their display, and not falling all over the place.

[ 05-13-2005, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: maestro ]

Comment

Working...
                    X