Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

60 Gallon 3HP electric compressor convert to gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 Gallon 3HP electric compressor convert to gas?

Is it practical to convert an electric compressor to gasoline? I know it would require pulley changes to run the compressor pump at the correct speed, but I don't know how to do the math, yet. And I don't know where I would get the appropriate pulleys anyway once the math was done. And, I don't know how to govern/unload the engine when the pressure was full.

Basically I'm trying to talk my way out of this but a friend wants me to help him do it. He has no skills, so it would be me doing it anyway. Thanks for any help, Jim

the pulley most likely will have to be "1/2" the size of the electric motors pulley, but it may take the same, if the electric motor is 1725 (1800 rpm), the gas most likely will be 3600 rpm, if it is a 3450 (3600 rpm) then no pulley change,in size, may be in bore, tho,

the biggest thing you will need is what is called a Continuous Run Unloader Valve

, that this does is act like the pressure switch on the compressor, what happens is the Unloader will dump the air pumps air and let the engine run, some will even idle the gas engine down when pressure is built up, https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Continuou...ref=nb_sb_noss

most likely your engine should be rated, (horse power wise) for at least twice the Hp of the electric motor,

I built a gas powered unit for my work truck in 2012, I used a 6 hp kohler engine, and an old air pump I had from a former compressor, used, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 unloader and the throttle control cable system (it is on the page there),

it most likely is not necessary but I also added belt pulley centrifugal clutch (like go carts use), for easery starts, and when everything working correctly when it Idles down the pump turns hardly at all,

since I never used the compressor without the clutch I really do not know if it helps or not, most manufactured ones don't have the clutch, (but then my BIL took the end of his finger off sliping the belt back on the motor on a cold morning after getting the engine to start, and run,

but I have very little problems starting my air compressor,

( I do need to replace the compressor or would like to) pumps air ok but a of of oil is blown in to the compressed air,

the kohler engine is a honda clone made in China, I was hoping it would be better than a HF predator engine,

(read this a number of years ago, and I did this on this kohler engine, to extend the life of them,
    fill with oil, run the engine, for 5 min, drain,
    fill with oil, run the engine for 10 mins and drain,
    fill with oil, run the engine for 30 mins and drain,
    fill with oil, and then follow the manufacturer's recommendations for oil changes,

It is my understanding that the import engines are not as carefully cleaned before assembly, and by using that procedure it will flush the insides out of any remaining machining chips and dirt that may have been left in the engine,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

do not even attempt to build the compressor with out the unloader valve in the air line between the pump and the tank,

Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

one more thing do not confuse the continuous run unloader valve with the pump head pressure unloader, not the same thing,

the second bleeds off the pressure on the cylinder head so the electric motor can start the compressor in between cycles,

and I built a compressor that run off the pto of the tractor, (now it works a bit differently but the same process is used),

Click image for larger version

Name:	air compressor 003a.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	358.7 KB
ID:	740621Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_4061.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	740622
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Working...
      X