Battery selection question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery selection question

I was wondering about what Ridgid battery amp hour rating and physical size you use
    and why?

I essentially have the 18v 5ah sized battery and use it with every 18v Ridgid tool.
    I also have some of the earlier 18v 3ah batteries but seldom select them.

Today Ridgid offers you a 3ah, 6ah, and 9ah battery.
    Obviously size and weight differ.

As a user when or why would you select the 3ah battery over the 9ah battery?
    I'd think when using a tool you'd want maximum power and run time.

Watching the various DIY TV programs..those using Ridgid 18v tools all seem
    to be using the older 1 1/2ah or 2ah batteries or the newer 3ah battery.
    I suspect this is because they purchased or was given a "kit" for product placement
    and are using the "supplied battery".

It seems Ridgid still offers the older 4ah battery but no longer stocks or offers the 5ah battery.
    I guess those of you using the 24v battery is out of luck as that platform seems to have disappeared.
    I do know the original 24v/18v tools still run well on 18v...as I have some of those first generation models.

Cactus Man

When I want to travel light or am using a tool with low power requirement (say a flashlight), I go with a smaller AH battery.
    When I have a tool like a grinder or need longevity I choose the bigger batteries.

Think of it like dry cells, you have a number of sizes but they are all 1.5 volts. AAA, AA, C, and D They will all give you (approximately) 3 volts if you put two of the same size batteries together, but a pair of D cells will last much longer than a pair of AAs or AAAs.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 08-19-2019, 01:59 PM.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

Working...
    X