Table Saw Blade Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table Saw Blade Storage

I made this blade storage drawer years ago when I got my Unisaw.
    I just put this short video together showing how I store my blades.

If you're thinking of building a cabinet under the extension wing of
    your table saw it might give you some ideas on storing your blades.

https://youtu.be/QVH5wc-2A_0
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Bob,

Thanks for the post!

Loved the video, I've been thinking about doing a couple of YouTube videos sometime in the not-to-distant future. Got to figure it all out though. I've been doing illustrations, industrial photography, and slide presentations for decades, but the video thing looks challenging to me. I think I have the necessary equipment (a shop, a Canon 80D (1040K), tripods, and even some lighting... but doing video? Absolutely NO experience there.

Again, thanks for the post,

CWS
    Last edited by CWSmith; 09-11-2019, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• Bob D.
      Bob D. commented
      Editing a comment
      Give my videos a like on YouTube and subscribe so you'll know when I post more. I have a couple in the works about the upgrades I've done to my bandsaw.

Video is something new to me too. I was an avid photographer and had a part time business for a number of years. Studied with a great photographic portrait artists many years ago, but as you say video is another thing altogether. About 12 years ago I started playing with video and special affects. I bought Adobe Creative Suite 3 which was a serious bundle of software and what many TV and movie studios used to create their special affects in post. I was getting pretty good with it and then I lost interest a couple years later when I got busy with a project that was consuming all my time.

But I haven't put any of that to use here. My version of CS3 is too old to run on Windows 10. That software bundle cost me somewhere around $1800 back then, and now it's worthless. Maybe if I could bring an old XP Pro computer back from the dead and keep it off the internet it would run there but not on Windows 10, I tried. I won't put out that amount of money again and I won't do Adobe's subscription software which is the only way they package the current version of Creative Suite which is a bundle of over a dozen programs as it's too expensive for occasional use. So I'm taking what I learned with After Affects and Premier and On Location and learning the freebie versions that are available now from other software vendors like Resolve and Blender and learning to use WavePad for audio. In the mean time the few videos I have posted were put together with Windows Movie Maker. If you don't have it let me know and I'll find the link to D/L from Microsoft's site. It's still available for free from MS, but they don't include it with Win10.

I have plenty of light in my shop I think, 27000 lumens (9 lights x 3000 lumens each) for all my LED ceiling lights combined, and I use a Ryobi LED Hybrid (on battery) flood light as a fill light at the camera. Years ago I built my own camera crane and I might dig that out and set it up again but with a 12 foot boom it's really too big to use in the shop.

For video recording I tried using my Canon TS1i which was one of the first DSLRs to offer video recording. It will shoot 1080p but DSPRs have limitations when shooting video. I bought Canon Vixia G20 about 2 years ago and I'm using that for recording my YT videos. I don't know why Canon doesn't make a true video recorder body that would use their line of lenses. I bet everyone that has a DSLR and more than one lens would buy a video body with all the features that you find on a true video camera. I have a half dozen Canon lenses and if I could shoot video using my EF 70-200 zoom that would be great.
    Last edited by Bob D.; 09-11-2019, 04:07 PM.

----

Comment

Thanks Bob,

I "liked" and "subscribed" to your channel; so, look forward to your future postings.

I am increasingly looking to YouTube in an effort to get an updated education on so many things. Seems like there is so little time in my day and yet too many challenges from things that I'm trying to accomplish. I have yet to get my 12 x 20 shed insulated, and just decided to move my workshop out there anyway as I'm falling way behind in woodworking stuff I want to make for here in the basement area where my shop has sat unused.

Seems like I've spent every spare hour in the last five years scanning old 35mm slides and photos that my late FIL had. I finally finished the slides about a month ago and decided I wanted to move the heavy tools out to the shed before the cold weather sets in. I still have a dozen or so photo albums to scan and a hundred or so negatives. AND, at the moment am faced with more than a dozen 7" super-8 film rolls and more than thirty VHS video tapes that need to be transferred to video. With all of this, I have been making titles; one thing to do for 35mm slides, but something else entirely to do in video, I think.

I have a program called Cyberlink PowerDirector 17 Ultra, but as yet haven't done much beyond looking at some YouTube training videos, it's a bit challenging to the mind at present. Hope it will do the trick.

My photography is pretty much self taught. As a technical illustrator doing instruction manuals for Ingersoll-Rand and others, I've pretty much learned everything from filling "vacuums" that have existed in my career. Can't find a photographer to fit the schedule... well, get a camera silly! And of course the guy who can draw and has a camera next gets enlisted to do the all too many presentations required for everything from engineering to R&D to marketing to financial stuff; and of course writing instructions, databases, marketing, and anything else that comes up... even Cyrillic safety labels!

So today, it's all history and my Canon F1, auto-bellows and related stuff is all retired. A couple of years ago now, I bought a Canon 80D and several lenses, and several other photo items. I think I've got at least the basics for doing video. But first I've got to get this family heritage finished... and fit into it the other household things I need to do.

MY son broached the subject of my age, and "Dad, you're 75 now (back in July), I hate to bring it up but you've got to face the fact that you need to start writing down where you want all this stuff to go!"

BS, I don't have time and I plan to be productive for at least another 10 or 15 years!! (God willing!)

CWS

BTW, I do like your blade storage project. Nicely done and I've taken note to look at it further as I try to bring my new shop into proper working order! (And sorry that I've hijacked the subject, but I very much appreciate you video skills and experience!
      Last edited by CWSmith; 09-11-2019, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Be sure to turn image stabilization OFF or you will pick up the noise of the lens IS in operation in the camera onboard mic. I found this out the hard way after recording about 15 minutes of video with my DSLR which by the way is the record limit of my DSLR no matter how big the SD card is.

If you use dubbed in audio or an external mic (does your DSLR have this capability, mine doesn't) then it's not an issue. But record some silent footage and listen to the audio track in playback on your computer. You'll probably hear a hiss which sounds almost like that you would get on reel-to-reel or cassette audio tapes. Just another reason I shifted away from using the DSLR for video.

I have a GoPro and it has possibilities but I see it as limited because of its wide angle lens. I'm looking at some cheap possibilities for B roll footage that I can have 2 or 3 running simultaneously whenever I am in the shop working on a video project and be able to cut to those wider scenes occasionally.
        Last edited by Bob D.; 09-12-2019, 06:03 AM.

----

Comment

Thanks Bob!

With the Canon 80D you can record approximately 30 minutes of video. Something about either the buffer or heat as I understand it. I've taken a few hundred stills with this camera so far, I have yet to even try the video. So many features, adjustments, and menus that I probably will never master all of it. With my old F1, you have aperture, shutter, and ASA with automatic nothing except for the flash syncing of the aperture when used. I pretty much use the 80D in the same manner... on Manual.

I do have an external microphone, a Takstar which is similar to a Rhode, but a lot cheaper. Image stabilization is a lens feature as is auto focus and on my 10-18, 18-55, and 55-250 mm lenses I cannot detect any motor noises at all. I do have two "pancake" compact lenses, 50 mm and 24 mm prime lenses with quite detectable noise on focus, but neither have image stabilization. My only "L" lens is a 100 mm macro which is silent. With the remote microphone, I'm hoping for no detection of any camera noise..

The Canon 80D not only has the capability of a remote mic, but also an earphone jack so you can monitor; and the LCD can display the audio levels. I also have a Manfrotto 190 tripod with a video fluid head which I purchased extra because it will take a heavier load for a larger telephoto lens and is a lot more stabil.

Right at the moment I have four overhead 4 ft LED shop lights for a total of 16,400 lumens but will be adding two more 4,100 lumen lights under the ends of the shop where the lofts are at. These are all 4,000 K "Daylight" as I found my original 5,500 LED lights just too glaring. However, the 5,000 K lights had the LED's exposed while these newer 4,000 K lights the LEDs are in translucent plastic tubes. They were $90 for a set of four shop lights with metal reflectors, a lot cheaper than I could buy even the all plastic lights locally.

Overall, I think I've got most of what I might need, but along with advisement and experimentation I'll surely discover what I'm lacking.

Thanks again for your advise,

CWS

Comment

I can't hear the noise on my lens either, but when I play the video back on the computer it's there. You said you haven't shot any video yet, give it a try with IS both on and off and see if you have the same problem.

----

Comment

Working...
            X