3 month delay in repairs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 month delay in repairs

I was hoping someone here would have some knowledge on this.

I got a cordless tool set (model R922) at the end of last year when it had the 'lifetime' warranty. Well, the drill motor died a couple of months ago & I took it to the local repair shop (authorized Ridgid repair shop). A month went by & they told me the motor is on back-order & they don't know when it will come in. I called Ridgid to complain, and the first girl told me the motors would be in their shop in about another month, & in reality it'd be a THIRD month before the shop got the part & I got my drill back.

Well, that's jus

That really sucks. I had to get a part replaced for my 3612 TS after the outsourcing took place. Luckily, I had everything back in my hands in 2 weeks. Heck, even Porter Cable took longer getting my Midi Lathe back to me after repairs.

Comment

Guys,

Sorry, I tried twice now to post my full note... here's another try...

I was hoping someone here would have some knowledge on this.

I got a cordless tool set (model R922) at the end of last year when it had the 'lifetime' warranty. Well, the drill motor died a couple of months ago & I took it to the local repair shop (authorized Ridgid repair shop). A month went by & they told me the motor is on back-order & they don't know when it will come in. I called Ridgid to complain, and the first girl told me the motors would be in their shop in about another month, & in reality it'd be a THIRD month before the shop got the part & I got my drill back.

Well, that's just not acceptable. I spoke to her manager, & that lady said she'd look into what can be done & get back to me. That was a month ago. I don't see a shortage of Ridgid tools in the stores, yet Ridgid doesn't seem willing to set aside the parts needed to satisfy existing customers.

What's going on? I'm frustrated as you might guess. Repair shop is stuck in the middle. Ridgid isn't returning the call. For some time I was praising Ridgid to everyone I know. Now, I'm deferring them elsewhere. Can anyone help resolve this?

Thanks
      -tony

Comment

Guys,

An update on the repair of my 18v hammer drill.

I had bought the drill last december with the 'lifetime' warranty. In July, it felt like the chuck was slipping so I took it in for repair. 3 months went by, nothing. That's where I left the last message.

It's now 11/24, and I still don't have it back. The repair shop got a defective replacement motor, so it was back to the end of the backlog for another. This past week they got a working motor, but it turns out they can't get the chuck off the old motor assembly, so they are now waiting on a replacement chuck. Apparently the service center has had this problem on a dozen drills, but didn't try removing mine during the first 4 months they had it. Also, the service center tried to get Ridgid to simply replace the drill for me since I've been waiting nearly 5 months, but Ridgid refused.

I guess it's all in what they meant with 'lifetime warranty'. You have to wait a lifetime to get any warranty service!

I really would like to hear from someone at Ridgid. Please, explain to me why I should be happy with Ridgid service. Why should I tell my friends to buy Ridgid tools. Why should I ever buy another Ridgid tool myself.

tony

Comment

Gad----and Santa is already checking his list for new tools-----but he'll pass you by since you have one "in repair".

Just an observation, but how much time has the authorized service center wasted---how much time have they spent fielding your questions/concerns? To me, this is the mark of a company that doesn't know what they're doing, since I'd be willing to bet it's already cost them more than if they just gave you a new drill.

Anyway, I'd call customer service---it's very rare that you'll get a response down here.
          Dave

Comment

Dave,

Santa came & went and I still don't have my drill!

The service center hasn't wasted much time. They ordered the parts fairly quickly back in July. If anything it was 2-3 weeks from when I took it in until when they ordered the replacement motor. The first replacement motor was defective, and I don't think they wasted any time in reordering it. The only thing I can fault them with is that they didn't try to remove the chuck from the motor assembly which is what they are waiting for now. The problem was that the chuck wouldn't come off the motor shaft, and they've had this problem a handful of times before.

I've called customer service, more than once. Also spoke with the supervisor there to no avail. Same old answer, their supplier is back ordered, it's not their fault, no replacement drill. I agree, its bad business. Also, the local repair shop has been trying to help. They've also asked Ridgid to just give me a replacement drill. Their longest customer to wait for a Ridgid repair was 7 months, and I am getting close to breaking that sad record...

I'll let everyone know when it finally comes in...

-tony

Comment

Guys,

An update. BTW, I had posted a reply because I couldn't find this thread last time. Look under Portable Power Tools, General Power Tool Discussion, title "Warranty: 6 months & 6 days".

Bottom line: still waiting. They thought they had a good rebuilt drill to give me, but it was defective. So, I'm waiting again. 6 months, 21 days & still no drill. Fairly soon they will have had the drill for longer than I had it before it failed. Ridgid still doesn't seem to care. The service center is apologetic, but they have multiple customers all in the same scenario. Maybe they can have a new slogan: "Quality Products, but if they break just buy another 'Quality' Ridgid tool because we don't provide replacement parts".

I just don't care any more. I've bought another drill (NOT ridgid) which seems to meet my needs for now. It's not as big & powerful, but it has the key feature that I actually have it in my shop & it works. Ridgid gets no more recommendations from me.

-tony

Comment

Tony A.,

Man, what a horror story. RIGID wont reply to you but a RIGID Site Administrator will type a 500 word essay on another forum of why its acceptable for them to make their cordless tools in communist China.

One last place for you to try for warranty satisfaction would be your Attorney General. One letter from him should resolve your warranty problem immediatly. Thats what he gets paid your tax money for.
                Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Working...
                X