Octane Batteries, but no Octane Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Octane Batteries, but no Octane Tools

I have a few Octane Batteries, but do not have any Octane tools. What benefits do I have with these batteries over the normal batteries in my tools?

I purchased within the last month Ridgid Cordless, Hammer/impact set Gen5x brushless with 4amp Hyper/Lithium batteries ..... router/jobmax brushless Octane with 5 amp Hyper/Lithium and a Circular saw Gen 5x brushless with 4 amp Hyper/Lithium,.... so I guess Gen5x is not Octane and Hyper/Lithium is not Octane... I find this all mind boggling when purchasing what I thought was Ridgid's newest tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Calder View Post
      I have a few Octane Batteries, but do not have any Octane tools. What benefits do I have with these batteries over the normal batteries in my tools?
      Every Ridgid battery has an electronic circuit breaker controlled by the firmware. In addition to the circuit breaker function, Octane batteries have the ability to enable/disable the battery from the app. Security Features such as locate your battery, lock-out the battery or set it so the battery becomes disabled when you're out of range from the Smartphone's Bluetooth. These things are done between the App and the battery, so it doesn't matter what tool you're using. If you don't make use of these security features from the app, I don't think there's any benefit.

Comment

expanding on what Moar mentioned - the Octane batteries include a bluetooth module in the pack. They allow the battery to pair with a smartphone and interface with their Ridgid App. The app has the security features mentioned - pretty cool stuff if you work around others. The app also give current status on the batteries - percentage charge, temperature, etc... which is pretty handy. It also gives historical info, last charge, number of cycles, health, etc... which is also nice. Personally, I keep alot of my tools and batteries in bags and it's pretty convenient to just be around my tools, open the app, and can tell if I need to top off a particular battery or not without digging thru all the bags and checking each one and interpreting the # of lights I see (always wondering if its rounding up or down, etc...).

Comment

"if I need to top off a particular battery"

I take it then you have labeled your batteries in such a way that you can tell one from another both on the battery and in the battery's internal memory so they have unique names when viewed on the app.

I don't have any RIDGID BT batteries but I do in other brands. Regardless I label ALL my batteries with a number and the month/year I bought them. I do the same on all the tools. I usually write this in the battery contact area where it won't get worn away and use a Sharpie but a pencil works fine too.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

Perhaps Ridgid is biding for time before releasing a full line of tools similar to Ryobi, Milwaukee, and others? Why else would Ridgid offer the versatile octane batteries? I'm willing to bet that in the next fifteen to twenty years you will see some new tools.

Comment

Working...
            X