X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woodslayer:
    As stated by 36volt: ” Anyway, don't blame Home Depot all of the time. How about directing some fruustration at the people abusing the system and using Home Depot as a free rental store?”

I have to disagree with you on that one. HD is well aware and has been for quite some time that they have a flawed return policy and yet they continue on with business as usual. The unscrupulous customer that takes advantage of HD’s free rental policy is deceiving HD and HD needs to minimize their losses by refusing to accept returns that are an obvious case of fraud. Instead, they gladly refund the deceitful individual his money and attempt to pass on the loss to the honest customer by partaking in a deceitful scheme of their own which of course is the selling of used tools under the false pretense of being new.

Woodslayer
    Home Depot Atlanta and Home Depot managers know about the problems but they are pretty powerless to stop it. The manager can not stay by returns all day long to monitor this problem. They have low-level cashiers working returns and they are not going to take enough interest in screening returns until they are paid accordinly for it. You're essentially saying it's ok for people to try and cheap the system, or try and break the law. The ones who are at fault are the law-enforcement for letting them do it in the first place. Bad argument.

Home Depot as a company has taken a more aggressive stance on returns in recent years. No more cash for returns without a receipt, you can only return so many items with your ID until they get flagged and a manager has to approve the return. Let the managers make the call, it's their store to run. If you don't like it, go shop somewhere else. If you don't like the rules (Home Depot's policies), don't play the game (shop at Home Depot).
    I don't work for Ridgid and I don't work for Home Depot but I likely know more about both than someone who works at either.

Comment

Originally posted by canadave:
      </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Sounds like a number of you should be heading back to your local hardware store and lumber yard and showing the HD how you feel about their service by not patronizing their stores any longer.
      Believe me, I'd love to. But try to see things from a realistic perspective. My local hardware store doesn't have Ridgid drills (obviously), and the only cordless drills they carry are way over-priced Hitachis, Makitas, and Skils (I went there first when I started shopping for a cordless drill). I'd order something over the Internet, but no place in the USA will ship anything here to Canada without charging an arm and a leg in fees. And there's precious few places in Canada that ship tools over the Internet--plus, those that do are also extremely overpriced (we're not just talking $20 or so...we're talking like $50-$100). For people living on a budget, people with wives who doesn't want to spend big money on a drill, it's hard to cough up that kind of money for a drill that won't have a lifetime free battery/other parts replacement like the Ridgid does.

So as you can see, there's a lot more reasons people shop at a HD than just wanting to save a couple of bucks.

Dave
      </font>[/QUOTE]I fail to see how all of the other reasons yo ulisted are not directly related to saving money. Pay more for tools, pay more for shipping, pay more for service. It's all about the cost, which is why your tools say 'made in China" on them.
      I don't work for Ridgid and I don't work for Home Depot but I likely know more about both than someone who works at either.

Comment

I fail to see how all of the other reasons you listed are not directly related to saving money. Pay more for tools, pay more for shipping, pay more for service. It's all about the cost, which is why your tools say 'made in China" on them.
        I'm not sure of the point you're making at the end; but I will say that the fact that my local hardware store doesn't carry the tools I want is not related to saving money.

I sense that you feel that everybody should pay more for higher-costing tools, just so they buy American products. All I'm saying is that people who shop at HD aren't just trying to save a few bucks or so, and aren't undermining the entire American economy. There are other issues (tool availability, durability of the tools, warranty, and so on), that come into play as well when choosing what to buy and where to shop.

Incidentally--I'm not trying to step on people's toes here, but I think folks need to stop simplifying the whole "made in China/made in the US" thing into a simplistic "it's us versus them" thing. That issue is very complex--there are all sorts of inter-related company relationships at work, American investment in Chinese companies (and vice versa of course), and so on. It's not as simple as everyone would like to think it is.

Anyway, if you disagree, fair enough....

Cheers,
        Dave

Comment

well corporate policy might be to send returns back to whomever but its a lot like a safety item..
          management talks a big line then if people figure it can be done with a minimal risk or almost certain of no comebqck they turn blind eye.
          Its do as I say not as I do.
          its for certain that some peoples can and do abuse the return policy BUT on the other hand how do you weed out the legitimate 'wheat from the chaff"..so to speak!
          Sounds easy to do but very difficult in practise.
          Additionally a lot of companies make junk today which you only discover after a 30 day period in some cases.
          Not all defects appear or are evident in a week or two.

Comment

Well then its a sad day in America if all my fellow countrymen decide saving a few bucks is more important than standing against communism.

I hope you all enjoy your low wages and long hours in a few years. You deserve them. Think how much time you'll get to spend with your 8 year olds as they work night and day right along side of you. Maybe it is about family values after all.
            Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

Problem is capitalism and communism is a new global merging order where the elite of a land dictate and integrate with their counter parts in another land...yet still keep their ideoligies!
              Slowly the with the Global Economy..New World Order over the next few years things will get blurred even more.
              individual countries may keep their "personal ideologs" and processes to an individual degree.. but the production buck is to be sung in universal harmony.
              Corporations now operate with more and more relative impunity to do whats best for corporate expedience at anyones expense..most of all the workers...previously thought of 15-20 years ago as more taboo.
              Now these things take place with even more openly.

Comment

36volt

36volt states: “You're essentially saying it's ok for people to try and cheap the system, or try and break the law. The ones who are at fault are the law-enforcement for letting them do it in the first place. Bad argument.”

I would think that my stating “The unscrupulous customer that takes advantage of HD’s free rental policy is deceiving HD” clearly conveys that I do not condone this practice, so I take exception to your accusation that I approve of such dishonest acts. I am curious though, what exactly is your position in HD, by your staunch defense of their deceitful ways you surely must have a vested interest.

Woodslayer

Comment

Well then its a sad day in America if all my fellow countrymen decide saving a few bucks is more important than standing against communism.
                  *sigh*....I was hoping not to get drawn into this argument, but I guess I'm here, so... [img]smile.gif[/img]

With all due respect, don't you think that "standing against communism" is a bit melodramatic, not to mention outdated? You make it sound like communism is a dire threat to the world, like it's going to spread through the planet like a wildfire. If you're referring to China, they're "communist" in name only at this point--their economy is basically capitalist at this point. And your implied argument (that "saving a few bucks on some tools" equals "not standing against communism") is not a logically valid argument. It's as logically invalid as an argument like, "We've got to do 'something' because all our tools are being made in China; killing all Chinese people is 'something'; therefore, we should kill all Chinese people."

It's easy enough to paint groups with large brushes and instinctively reach for the old refrains of "we're better than them" and "they're against us" and "my country right or wrong." But ignoring the idea that we're all human beings on Planet Earth, and ignoring the thought that we should be trying to somehow co-exist in something resembling peace, might be a good policy in the short run but not a great policy in the long run IMHO.

Besides, if you really wanted to argue the point, I would ask you to think about whether American corporate greed and political corruption isn't maybe rapidly becoming just as bad as Chinese communism, if you want to call it that.

But, in any case...to each his own [img]smile.gif[/img] For those people who prefer the more hostile line of thinking, I suppose not much would convince them to abandon it anyway.....

Dave

[ 12-05-2005, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: canadave ]

Comment

Originally posted by woodslayer:
                    36volt

36volt states: “You're essentially saying it's ok for people to try and cheap the system, or try and break the law. The ones who are at fault are the law-enforcement for letting them do it in the first place. Bad argument.”

I would think that my stating “The unscrupulous customer that takes advantage of HD’s free rental policy is deceiving HD” clearly conveys that I do not condone this practice, so I take exception to your accusation that I approve of such dishonest acts. I am curious though, what exactly is your position in HD, by your staunch defense of their deceitful ways you surely must have a vested interest.

Woodslayer
                    I don't work for Home Depot, nor do I work for Ridgid, but I likley know about both than someone who works at either.

I stand by my comments that Home Depot personnel do not ACTIVELY do this. If some theif gets by and abuses the system, and you are the one who pays the price by buying the tools he returned, who is to blame? Home Depot for stopping 95% of abuse cases? The thief for essentially stealing? How about opening the box before you leave the store if you are so paranoid as to accuse Home Depot managers of screwing their customers. Or even shop somewhere else where you don't feel as if management is out to get you?

Comment

36Volt

No paranoia here, I state fact and you express opinion. Perhaps it was Lowe’s personnel that placed the 5 used tools back on the HD shelf that I have purchased in the past since no HD employee would actively do such a thing. If you care to look back at the second post in this thread you will see I did exactly as you propose and if I hadn’t it would be six used tools that I would have had to return. My point is simple: If a tool is used, be honorable and sell it as such. It would not require an extraordinary amount of effort for the manager of the tool coral to open the returns and determine if they were indeed used prior to placing them back on the shelf to be sold as new, end of deception (whether deliberate or mistakenly) and everybody walks away happy.

Woodslayer

Comment

Woodslayer, you caught us. All 300,000 plus employees are out to get you.

Seriously though, If there is that much of a problem with this at the store you shop at. Why haven't you taken it up with someone higher than the store manager. There is a number posted in every store that you can call just for things like this. If someone is selling used tools as new knowingly then it is not only a violation of company policy but also violates a few laws. So instead of posting it on this board which has nothing to do with HD. Why don't you take it to the people that can do something about it?
                        Jeff

Comment

Cuj0HD

Thank you for validating my prolonged suspensions that HD has a conspiracy to sell me used tools, exactly how long ago did corporate pass out the memo detailing the plot. Historians will long praise you for leaking this incriminating evidence. Now, perhaps you could shed some light on this CIA/John Lennon conspiracy I’ve been hearing so much about lately.

Thanks

Woodslayer

Comment

You all just dont get it. In Corporate america, The Bigger the Company, The Easier it is to screw them over.

Example:

Most people dont realize that home depot has free tool rental for thirty days.

Comment

Originally posted by smashp:
                              You all just dont get it. In Corporate america, The Bigger the Company, The Easier it is to screw them over.

Example:

Most people dont realize that home depot has free tool rental for thirty days.
                              Are you saying Home Depot will lend me a tool for 30 days now charge?

Comment

I haven't read all the postings on this subject word for word, So forgive if this has been stated. With ref. to the compressors I just bought one (OL50135W)The oil does already come in the base of the compressor, it states it in the Manual. But mine was all tucked in the box and Styrofoam nice and neat. I learned about a year ago from my local HD that used or refurbished tools are suppose to have a small RED dot on them somewhere.

David

Comment

Working...
                                X