not a nice thing--HD or Ridgid?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• not a nice thing--HD or Ridgid?

OK, so I just went to my local HD and bought an 18V 3/8" cordless drill. I got it home, took it out, and test depressed the trigger. The trigger action seemed to "catch" a bit just before being depressed all the way. It almost seemed to be "catching" on the forward/reverse switch. Hmmmm.

OK, no problem, I figured. I'll just go back to the HD and exchange it for a new one.

I go back there a half hour after I bought it. The first thing they do is call the tool guy over to have a look at it. I can't help but wonder, "What happened to 'no questions asked'?" I want a new one, period.

Anyway, the guy looks at it, frowns, and says he thinks nothing's wrong with it. "The battery's not charged," he says. Then he mumbles something about how if the battery's charged he thinks the trigger issue will resolve itself.

I tell him I *know* the battery's not charged. That's not the issue. The issue is the trigger seems to be hitching on something. He test pulls the trigger a few times, says he still doesn't think anything's wrong with it, but he'll get me a new one.

I get the new one and go home. As I go to open the case, I notice something. THIS case has a small locked clear plastic ring around the handle that needs to be cut off before the case can be opened. I remember now that my 12V Ridgid cordless drill, in an identical case, ALSO had that same little plastic ring. But guess what? The 18V drill I just returned to HD did NOT have that little plastic ring--which suggests that it wasn't quite "brand new", even though the drill was in a clear plastic bag and all the documentation was in its place.

I cut off the little piece of plastic, open the case, press the drill trigger, and voila--no catching. Works perfectly.

So. It looks to me like either Ridgid or HD decided to re-sell a drill that had an issue with it. I wasn't impressed with the whole thing. Anyone else want to weigh in with their take?

--Dave

[ 11-30-2005, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: canadave ]

Dave

At my local HD opening the box and finding a used tool is the norm not the exception. I’ve taken 5 tools back there because they were used and sold as new. Last weekend I noticed that the OL50135 compressors were on clearance for $129, I started to put the last one in the cart and decided to open the box to see if it was used, sure enough everything was loose inside and the oil had already be installed. It appears that HD corporate doesn’t see anything wrong with selling used tools under the false pretense of being new.

Woodslayer

Comment

That is absolutely horrible! Albeit not totally unexpected

Comment

From the paint department, I purchased a 5 gallon bucket of paint, the Behr brand @ $106.00, take it home open it up by twisting the small cap off and someone prior to me cut
        the seal, used the paint and poured in some old paint and returned it. The return department failed to open the twist off knob and check if it was sealed. When I came back to return the paint, the return desk personnel called the department manager
        to approve my return. He shook his head and apologized and kiddingly blamed me.
        1/5 of Home Depot's personnel are of the rightous crowd who views every shopper as a jerk and rip off artist, the other 3/5 don't care at all. and the remaining 1/5 are decent people who get burned out and quit. I've been shopping at H.D. for 15 years
        and I can't say it's getting any better.

[ 11-30-2005, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: jaco ]

Comment

Originally posted by woodslayer:
          Dave

At my local HD opening the box and finding a used tool is the norm not the exception. I’ve taken 5 tools back there because they were used and sold as new. Last weekend I noticed that the OL50135 compressors were on clearance for $129, I started to put the last one in the cart and decided to open the box to see if it was used, sure enough everything was loose inside and the oil had already be installed. It appears that HD corporate doesn’t see anything wrong with selling used tools under the false pretense of being new.

Woodslayer
          I witnessed 2 managers @ H.D. two weeks ago pulling out a
          compressor from the cardboard box and slapping a clearance tag on it because the compressor was used, returned to H.D.
          under the pretense of being new condition and then sitting on the shelf for too long. Yeah, the oil was already added.

Comment

I would guess that these experiences, while perhaps seeming normal, are totally against corporate policy. It is my understanding, that returned tools are supposed to be sent back to the manufacturer for reconditioning. That's how Cummins gets their stuff. I am under the impression that most states have consumer protection laws regarding the resale of used products.

I do know for a fact that stuff like tool cases, odd parts, etc. that somehow have found themselves orphaned from the original package, get destroyed and/or trashed. This is the policy in most stores. Such things cannot be sold, given away, or taken by the employees. Sometimes they find their way into clearance sales, but I'm not sure that is even "allowed" under guidelines from the head office. Perhaps its worth a phone call to Atlanta, to find out.

I do know that each store seems to be under different understandings of what's what. All too often I've found that everyone from the store management, right down to the orange aprons, appear to be totally uneducated with regard to almost any of the business, policies, and products. It seems to me that store managers use their descretion to move returned inventory in any way they like.

The sad thing about this is that, we the customers get victimized and in turn, the brand names get blamed for these unethical practices.

CWS

Comment

My wife bought a small electric weed wacker from HD. When she took it out of the box, there was dried up grass all over the guard. They did take it back with no problem though.

Comment

When Moms and Dads owned the hardware and lumber yards a person almost always recieved what they were supposed to get and if something wasn't right it was made right because the owner was often your neighbor and friend. And because the owner actually cared if you came back or not.

The switch to bigger was supposed to mean better but it is MHO that it has been for the worse in many ways. Not only are things not any cheaper than they used to be but try to by an ice scraper in March. Or a leaf rake in January. Just two examples, but if its not in season you can't have it at a box store. And they're not about to order it either, unless you wait for an hour for a manager to be interested enough to maybe help and by the time it comes in it will be with next seasons order anyway.

Bring our product production back to America where we can have on demand production and delivery again and if a spare part is needed it can be factory made and shipped in two days. So what if its 15% or 25% higher. Its worth far more than that to have decent products and service again. Not to mention more Americans would have a decent job.
                Work hard, Play hard, Sleep easy.

Comment

HD opened here in April. I've been in there 6-8 times & was disappointed every time. Customer service ...whats that??? Most help doesn't know where to find an item or if it even exists or sometimes what it is. HD likes to charge for the people that walk around or run checkout registers but keeps shoving self checkout at me never once has it worked properly always some reason it won't finish the process. I refuse to go through self checkout with all its hassles while paying for a checkout person.

However it is a great place to go walking when the weather is bad.

Comment

nothing beats a personal service.. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

he masses have spoken and price os king. Made in the USA? Not enough people care anymore. Difference in price is more important than country of origin. Don't believe me, go look at where the majority of power tools are made. Anyway, don't blame Home Depot all of the time. How about directing some fruustration at the people abusing the system and using Home Depot as a free rental store?
                      I don't work for Ridgid and I don't work for Home Depot but I likely know more about both than someone who works at either.

Comment

As stated by 36volt: ” Anyway, don't blame Home Depot all of the time. How about directing some fruustration at the people abusing the system and using Home Depot as a free rental store?”

I have to disagree with you on that one. HD is well aware and has been for quite some time that they have a flawed return policy and yet they continue on with business as usual. The unscrupulous customer that takes advantage of HD’s free rental policy is deceiving HD and HD needs to minimize their losses by refusing to accept returns that are an obvious case of fraud. Instead, they gladly refund the deceitful individual his money and attempt to pass on the loss to the honest customer by partaking in a deceitful scheme of their own which of course is the selling of used tools under the false pretense of being new.

Woodslayer

Comment

Sounds like a number of you should be heading back to your local hardware store and lumber yard and showing the HD how you feel about their service by not patronizing their stores any longer.

And the best thing you can do to get the maximum milage out of this is to tell the manager at HD that you are taking future business elsewhere and why and when you get to your local hardware store or lumber yard tell them why you are back.

[ 12-04-2005, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Bob D. ]

Comment

Sounds like a number of you should be heading back to your local hardware store and lumber yard and showing the HD how you feel about their service by not patronizing their stores any longer.
                            Believe me, I'd love to. But try to see things from a realistic perspective. My local hardware store doesn't have Ridgid drills (obviously), and the only cordless drills they carry are way over-priced Hitachis, Makitas, and Skils (I went there first when I started shopping for a cordless drill). I'd order something over the Internet, but no place in the USA will ship anything here to Canada without charging an arm and a leg in fees. And there's precious few places in Canada that ship tools over the Internet--plus, those that do are also extremely overpriced (we're not just talking $20 or so...we're talking like $50-$100). For people living on a budget, people with wives who doesn't want to spend big money on a drill, it's hard to cough up that kind of money for a drill that won't have a lifetime free battery/other parts replacement like the Ridgid does.

So as you can see, there's a lot more reasons people shop at a HD than just wanting to save a couple of bucks.

Dave

[ 12-04-2005, 11:53 AM: Message edited by: canadave ]

Comment

Good points Dave,

Why does it cost so much to ship to/from the US to CA? Which side imposes the fees or tarrifs that raise the price so high, I don't know.

Yeah, the locals have to charge more because they don't have the buying power of the big guys, it is unfortunate that they can not compete in price.

Comment

Working...
                              X