MEGAMax Power Base - How to operate it without an attachment head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MEGAMax Power Base - How to operate it without an attachment head

I have purchased a MEGAMax Power Base with the hopes of adapting it to allow it to drive a small hydraulic pump. Before purchase, I was aware of the fact that the Power Base recognizes the different attachment heads and adjusts accordingly. Now after unpackaging the Power Base and attempting to operate it sans attachment head, and reading the manual, I see that it will not even power on at all without an attachment head. Is there any way to get it to operate without a head? Ultimately, I just need to be able to get to a set of bolts and a shaft, so I can couple the hydraulic pump to it via a flange adapter and shaft coupling. Another option is to buy an attachment head so the Power Base will recognize it and power on, then take that head off and partially disassemble that head, in hopes of revealing a set of bolts and a shaft for mounting the hydraulic pump. I'm not sure there is a way to disassemble the head along its length though.

I fully understand that the tools are not intended to work like this, and that we are on our own when doing this. That's perfectly fine. There is a hydraulic power unit out there that uses a partially disassembled commercially available power tool to drive a hydraulic pump, so this kind of modification of a power tool is not unheard of.

Thank you for your time in reading this, and in discussing with me.

Milwaukee has a 10K PSI M18 powered hydraulic pump out now. No idea what the price is but it's probably expensive as it's aimed at companies doing power line work. They have crimpers for transmission cables too. Milwaukee offers many tools for electrical work. RIDGIDs selection is limited.

Both Milwaukee and RIDGID branded cordless power tools are made by TTI. Rigging something to work in a commercial setting is maybe questionable from a company liability and safety perspective. If you're going to make this adaptation to an existing tool then pass it off to someone else to use you might want to consult a lawyer or your legal department and see where they stand on this. You could be creating a huge liability for yourself and/or your company.

Have you ever seen someone injured by a blown hydraulic hose? 10K PSI will blow right through your shirt sleeve or glove and skin. When that oil gets into your body it makes for all kinds of trouble.

If I was given a modified tool like this I don't think I would have to twice about using it, I just wouldn't. I bear all the risk and the company saves a couple bucks. No doubt they are not to injure anyone but it can happen regardless of intent.

In your case I believe you are talking about using an other than intended power source and not modifying the hydraulic system. I understand how this can seem benign. But if it went to court do to some malfunction it would be argued that the tool had been modified and that could be your undoing.

Not trying to be the voice of doom just saying you should consider all the implications if you haven't already.
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006
    "?ǝɹɐ sɹǝƃuıɟ ɹnoʎ ǝɹǝɥʍ ʍouʞ noʎ op `ʍɐs ǝlqɐʇ ɐ s,ʇı"

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
      PLUMBER RICK commented
      Editing a comment
      Hold on tight.

SKU: Milwaukee 2774-20
      UPC: 045242007745Weight: 32.41 lbs
      MILWAUKEE 2774-20 M18 FORCE LOGIC 10,000PSI HYDRAULIC PUMP (TOOL ONLY)
      0.0No ReviewsWrite the First Review

List: $8,270.00
      $4,699.00

Rick

• Bob D.
      Bob D. commented
      Editing a comment
      told ya it wasn't cheap. but hey, if you already got the Milwaukee M18 batteries like Frank does, you're gotta go for it. :-)

Fair enough, those are great points. At this time, from a technical standpoint, I just need to know if the Power Base can be made to work without an attachment head, or if any of the attachment heads can be easily disassembled to make them shorter and allow bolting and shaft coupling.

Comment

Application requires upwards of 20,000 psi. Without going into a lot more detail, let me just say we will not be purchasing a unit, we will need to make a custom unit. This has already been decided. Is there any way to make the Power Base operate without the attachment head?

Comment

Are you using to drive a hydraulic wrench for torquing large bolts?

----

Comment

Cylinder for tensioning bolts.

Comment

I thought it might be. Either that or a hydraulic jacking system.

----

Comment

I've never looked at a MegaMax unit closely, I know the JobMax has a pin in the head that pushes a trigger release on the main body. You can push the pin on it without a head attached.
              Looking at pictures I wonder if the area I put the red arrow is of a similar switch release design.

Looking at even more pictures I see the right angle drill appears to have electrical contacts so perhaps my suggestion isn't valid.

I've used HYTORC and ENERPAC units that go up to 10k psi. Those components are fairly easy to come by. Getting up to 20k psi you are definitely in the realm of not a whole lot of off the shelf solutions.
              The cost of say a right angle drill head to tear into it is minimal compared to the fittings you'll be using in your system. I know even a basic parker 10k rated stainless steel 1/4" NPT 90 is around $70. hate to guess what a 20k psi one would run.

Wish you the best of luck in finding a useful and safe cordless solution.
              Attached Files

Comment

https://ridgid.ordertree.com/catalog...embly_id=51415

looking at mine attachments there is a 5 blade type connector that connects to the base 5 female connector that must power the base through some sort of electronic switch..... above there's a link of the wiring schematic for the R86400 .... that's all I can offer.

Comment

I'm re-reading your OP and it sounds like all you want to do it turn a shaft.

"I just need to be able to get to a set of bolts and a shaft, so I can couple the hydraulic pump to it via a flange adapter and shaft coupling."

Why rig up some adapter, just use the drill head and chuck up a 1/2" hex shaped shaft that will not slip in the jaws with whatever adapter you need welded on the end and be done with it. That should take all the torque that the motor can dish out. Driving a hydraulic pump for an application like this would create a lot of resistance I would think, but you're the hydraulics guy with the ME degree, so you know that. You might want to try the Practical Machinist forum, those guys play with this stuff all day long.
                  Last edited by Bob D.; 02-07-2020, 05:01 AM.

----

Comment

Originally posted by drainman scott View Post
                    https://ridgid.ordertree.com/catalog...embly_id=51415

looking at mine attachments there is a 5 blade type connector that connects to the base 5 female connector that must power the base through some sort of electronic switch..... above there's a link of the wiring schematic for the R86400 .... that's all I can offer.
                    Our lead technician also thinks something needs to be inserted into one of the 5-slot areas (there are 4 of them) in order to make the motor spin. In the picture above, you can see the (4) 5-slot areas. There's also an elongated slot beneath the 5 individual slots that may require something to go in there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MAS View Post
                      I've never looked at a MegaMax unit closely, I know the JobMax has a pin in the head that pushes a trigger release on the main body. You can push the pin on it without a head attached.
                      Looking at pictures I wonder if the area I put the red arrow is of a similar switch release design.

Looking at even more pictures I see the right angle drill appears to have electrical contacts so perhaps my suggestion isn't valid.
                      I tried to depress that "button" where the red arrow is pointing, and it didn't depress. So yeah as you said, there's probably something else at play.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                        I'm re-reading your OP and it sounds like all you want to do it turn a shaft.

"I just need to be able to get to a set of bolts and a shaft, so I can couple the hydraulic pump to it via a flange adapter and shaft coupling."

Why rig up some adapter, just use the drill head and chuck up a 1/2" hex shaped shaft that will not slip in the jaws with whatever adapter you need welded on the end and be done with it. That should take all the torque that the motor can dish out. Driving a hydraulic pump for an application like this would create a lot of resistance I would think, but you're the hydraulics guy with the ME degree, so you know that. You might want to try the Practical Machinist forum, those guys play with this stuff all day long.
                        It has to be compact and not at a right angle. Packaging is a critical aspect. That's why the ideal would be to bolt a pump-motor adapter directly to the face of the MegaMAX Power Base, bolt the pump to the other end of that adapter, and then couple the pump and motor shafts with a coupling.

Comment

As I mentioned, our lead technician thinks something needs to be inserted into one of the 5-slot areas (there are 4 of them) in order to make the motor spin. If we buy one of the attachment heads, maybe we can play around with it and verify. It would be great if one of those attachment heads had bolts to disassemble it a few inches downstream of its connection to the Power Base. From pictures, that doesn't appear to be the case with any of the attachment heads. This is looking like a dead end. Unless we "saw off" one of the attachment heads where we want, and try to thread 4 holes into the sawed-off end face. I don't know. I'm not very creative, more of an optimizer of the existing.

Comment

• PLUMBER RICK
                            PLUMBER RICK commented
                            Editing a comment
                            You're only out $200. for your ridgid tools if you destroy them. that's less than an hour of your time with your degree.

Go for it. you have very little to loose with your tinkering.

I was surprised that the Milwaukee unit was that expensive.

Even if you could get it to power on, how much fluid volume at that pressure could a little motor Deliver?

Do you need to build the pump or is it available and what runs it if so? Compare the specs.

Rick

Even if you could get it to power on, how much fluid volume at that pressure could a little motor Deliver?

Do you need to build the pump or is it available and what runs it if so? Compare the specs.
                          I should clarify that we are using an intensifer to boost pressures up above 20kpsi. So the pump only has to discharge about 2-3000 psi.

The pump is off-the-shelf. The Ridgid Power Base would run it.

Comment

Working...
                          X