ts3650 Blade to 90 degrees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ts3650 Blade to 90 degrees

I was trying to get my blade back to 90 when I cranked it one more time and heard a snap and now I cannot adjust the blade angle turns and turns but not moving the blade. Cannot see anything obvious but now I'm bummed. Blade does go up and down
    Brian
    Last edited by BrianA; 02-11-2020, 01:39 PM.

Take a flashlight and look through the curved slot on the front of the saw. You will see a threaded shaft running horizontal from the tilt crank handle on the right, to the trunnion. Turn the handle.

If the shaft spins, look to see if something is broken where it goes through the nut shaft on the trunnion. The shaft may be broken, the nut shaft stripped, or the trunnion casting holding the nut shaft may be broken. If any of these, you are going to be down for a while. (Worst case)

IF the shaft doesn't spin, then check to see if the screw holding the crank handle is loose/broken, If the handle is broken, you might be able to turn the shaft with vice grips until you get a new one. (Best case)

While you are looking at the front of the saw, make sure the tilt lock lever isn't getting wedged against the table top. If it got wedged, it may have broken, so you will need a hex wrench to lock/unlock the tilt mechanism. This may have initially caused the problem, but if it got pushed to lock, you wouldn't be able to turn the handle. If not, your trunnion should move. Also check behind the saw to make sure the motor and mount didn't get hung up on something when you were trying to get it back to 90.

Give us some feedback after you check.
    Last edited by Gofor; 02-11-2020, 03:16 PM.
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

IF you find the shaft broken, or the nut shaft boss broken, you may be able to remove the adjustment shaft and manually push the trunnion to 90 degrees, and then lock it down. Make sure the lock shaft is loosened before trying to move the trunnion. That will allow you to use the saw for 90 degree cuts while you search for repair parts. If you notice any other cracks in the trunnion body, don't use the saw.

Before connecting power back to the saw, spin the blade by hand, and check for any other visible damage to the trunnion. If all spins smoothly and nothing seems loose, start the saw, but stand away from the blade plane and be ready to shut it back off immediately if anything seems awry.
      Last edited by Gofor; 02-11-2020, 03:19 PM.
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I see a small bow of the right side of the metal outward where the handle is. I am hoping that the shaft slipped out of the threaded part. It is a difficult spot to get to. may have to take the top off.

Comment

I remember the same thing happened to me with my TS3650. It was years ago but I think the cause was a build up of sawdust in the trunion grooves.
          "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

Mine is "somewhat" or very dusty

Comment

Here is where I am talking about.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ts3650 underside.png
Views:	40
Size:	563.3 KB
ID:	743510
              "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

I was able to fix it today. The side of the saw bowed out and when I cranked on it the last little bit the threaded rod came out of the nut that is attached to the trunion. Was a fairly easy fix. Thanks for your help

Comment

Working...
                X