Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill

Hi All

I have a Dewalt 14.4 xrp that has a problem. There is an odor of plastic when being used. Has anyone else experienced this? It did not do this until recently. It is about 1 1/2 years old and used very lightly. I am going to purchase the Ridgid 18v but would like to keep this drill because it is lighter. I think the warranty is past but if I can claim this is a class problem perhaps I can get it repaired on their dime.

mike

"Remember if it ain't broke ... your not trying" Red Green (my personal hero and role model)

I can't tell you why your drill is omitting an odor but you are right about the drill being out of warranty. DeWalts' warranty is a 1 year warranty and that includes faulty materials and workmanship.

Call their Technical Assistance line at 1-800-433-9258. They might be able to tell you why your drill stinks.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

As far as I know Dewalt has a three year warranty
      One-Year Free Service Contract. DEWALT will maintain the tool and replace worn parts caused by normal use, for free, any time during the first year after purchase.
      Three-Year Limited Warranty. DEWALT will repair, without charge, any defects due to faulty materials or workmanship for three years from the date of purchase. This warranty does not cover part failure due to normal wear or tool abuse. For further detail of warranty coverage and warranty repair information, visit www.dewalt.com or call 1-800-4-DEWALT (1-800-433-9258).

Comment

As usual, wbrooks is right on the money. I got my information out of a DeWalt 2002 catalog. Time for a catalog update. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks for the replys. The odor smells like warm plastic. Not melting just hot. I really like the tool because of the power vs weight. Just thought if this was a class problem I might have a chance to get it fixed for free. Oh well guess I will purchase the Ridgid 18V and get this one fixed.

mike

Comment

Huh. That explains why my uncle told me that Dewalt cordlesses are crap. This post tells me to stay away from them. [img]smile.gif[/img]
            <a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/buctooth\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/buctooth</a><br />Please tell us how you like the site, even if you hate it. If you want, feel free to visit the forum.

Comment

buctooth, don't be so quick to rule out DeWalt cordless drills. They are well respected in the trades. You'll see alot of yellow and black tools at most construction sites. I've been using the same DeWalt drill/driver for about 6 or 7 years now and wouldn't hesitate to recommend DeWalt to anyone.

Comment

I see a whole lot of yellow cordless in for repair.that just tells me that they are out selling everyone. as of how good they are to me there just ok. would not be my first choice.
                A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

After SEVERAL cordless drills going through my hands, I upgraded to the Hilti line and will never look back!
                  \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Comment

Originally posted by spacebluesonoma:
                    ...............I upgraded to the Hilti line and will never look back!
                    For $300 for a 15.6V drill/driver, you shouldn't have to look back.

Comment

I think he was talking about like the 2005's. but then he was the one that thought that Ridgid was a consumer grade tool, and that they were innexpensive.
                      <a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/buctooth\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/buctooth</a><br />Please tell us how you like the site, even if you hate it. If you want, feel free to visit the forum.

Comment

Working...
                      X