X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS 3650 Fence Concerns... A Little Sticky

I wonder if anyone ever had the problem I seem to be having... my fence is not 'silky smooth' when it slides across the table.... (even the display models in the HD stores do this -- it's part of what attracted me to the saw). I've checked things out and everything seems parallel, so the most obvious solution would be to adjust the nut on the rear of the fence to open the clamping jaw up some... but that would seem to make it too wide to me. To be more specific on the sliding action of the fence, it moves and travels fairly easily once you get a good motion on it... however, when you slow it down (such as when you are getting ready to stop it on a precise measuring point) it gets 'sticky' and hard to make fine adjustments. There is also a slight 'squeak' over the course of its travel, so I know something is not quite right. Has anyone else ever had this problem, and if so, what steps did you take to fix it? The good news is that the fence locks down parallel without a problem. Thanks in advance for any insight you could offer!

Greg Nold

Try a little paste wax on the rails and fence where it contacts the rails.

Comment

You may need to adjust the height of your rails up just a tad. When I first assembled my saw, the fence was literally touching the table top. I just loosened the bolts up, raised the rails up maybe a 1/16" and the problem went away.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Also a good idea to make sure the contact surfaces of the fence and the rail are clean. I lift my fence off the rails and brush the sawdust out of there every now and then, seems to help.

Comment

Thanks Guys, I appreciate the advice. My fence is actually fine in both clearance and dirt, so neither of those things were the problem. I have found that my own lack of familiarity with the machine may be the problem... I was moving the fence by grasping it in the middle of its length (seems to make sense, right?) and the fence seemed to move out of parallel and bind a bit as it traveled. Once I grabbed the fence down closer to the locking handle end, the movement is free and easy. I still have the slight 'squeak', but I guess that once the saw is running I probably won't hear it. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Live and learn!

One other quick question: The manual calls for the clearance between the fence and the table to be no more than the thickness of 8 pages of the manual. How critical is that? No matter how much I adjust the rails, I cannot achieve a clearance that tight. I can get close (maybe 12 pages?) but that is it. In practice, will this extra clearance have any negative affect on how well the saw performs? Thanks as always for your opinions!

Greg Nold

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Greg Nold:
            but I guess that once the saw is running I probably won't hear it. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Live and learn!
            QUOTE]

I'm fairly sure you were kidding, but just in case you weren't, you should NEVER move the fence while the saw is running. It is very dangerous.

As to your other question - 8 pages ? 12 pages ? no big deal, as long as the fence is parallel to the blade and perpendicular to the table. The only problem I could see is if you were cutting something so thin that it would slip under the fence. That would have to be really thin.

If you use paste wax (Johnsons, Butchers, etc.) as suggested above, I bet you get rid of that squeak.
            Lorax
            "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Haha, yes I was kidding but I didn't really stop to think that others might take me seriously...good point to any who might be tempted to move the fence with the machine running! Thanks for the news about the clearance of the fence being ok... I figured it was but... well, hey, if I knew everything I obviously wouldn't bother with this forum. Just bought some turtle wax today for both the table and the fence rails so maybe that squeak will be gone. As I type, the wife and daughters are not home yet, which means no interruptions, which means maybe I can get the motor on, which means maybe I plug it in and cut a piece of wood in an hour or so....

Thanks again for the tips!

Greg Nold

Comment

If you're going to use paste wax on your saw, Johnson's Paste Wax or other furniture paste waxes would be a better choice than Turtle Wax. Turtle Wax contains silicone which could rub off onto the wood and cause you problems when it comes time to apply your finish. If you've already used the Turtle Wax, you can remove it with Mineral Spirits.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks Dave, I sure hadn't thought of that. Oh well, I can still use the Turtle Wax for the car I guess! Thanks for the suggestion, I'll make a Wal-Mart run today.

Ahem... almost as soon as I finished my last post about putting the motor on my saw, plugging it in and finally using it, I get a call from my wife saying, "Get ready, were going to see Harry Potter!" <Sigh> Maybe today I'll finish!

Comment

Working...
                  X