Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As for I! I do not like a hard case that much! I prefer a bag for my use. i am a Contractor and use my toys every day! i just wish the bag was a little bigger.

Comment

Why Rafael, thank you for your kind words.

Comment

I prefer a hard-case to a bag because I would prefer to not have blades and other accessories rolling around at the bottom of a bag. I also like the impact protection given by a hard-case.

Comment

Dear All:

I would truly hope that the forum moderators have been paying attention to the lively and sometimes irreverent discussion on the hard shell case vs. bag issue with the Ridgid cordless combo sets.

While some might say it is too early to respond with some form of a company action plan to users comments on the bag issue, a responsible and proactive company acknowledges what is going on in the market place and plans accordingly. [img]smile.gif[/img] (HINT-HINT....NUDGE-NUDGE...WINK-WINK....you know what I mean, eh?!?! [img]smile.gif[/img]

OUR CONCERNS ON THIS MATTER WOULD BEST BE JUDGED BY RIDGID THROUGH THE USE OF A CUSTOMER POLL instead of us all (or some of us) taking pot shots at each other. We should not forget that this forum is for the benifit and personal edification of us all through the sharing of ideas!

It has often been said that the only thing constant is change itself! You also cant satisfy everyone. If the outcome of a customer poll on what is best (hard case vs. bag)points to a hard case, then a mid-course correction by Ridgid is well worth it, especially if the amount of discontent on the current assessory results in lost sales. I have to admit that PC, Milwalkie, Dewalt, Ryobi and a few generic sets have been using hard shell cases. Not knowing the cost differential between a hard case and a bag, it may be cheaper from Ridgids perspective to go for the bag. However, these tools, no matter how good they turn out to be, will die an earlier death from not being well protected. I would hate to think that Ridgid might not honor warranty repair / replacement for what they would call product abuse, when a better container for the tools protection could have been supplied by them in the first place. They may be out of more money in the long run (warranty repairs / replacement)for using a soft bag to store the tools.

Personally, if you lay out good money for a quality tool, you will want to look after your investment, especially if you use them professionally.

Chris
          Chris Berg

Comment

on the topic of hard cases - I personally found them to be too bulky if all 4 pieces with charger and all fit into it. I prefer individual cases, especially for the drill. I do not have to carry a 50lb suitcase into the customer house when most of the time, all I need is the drill or saw. I have been able make up cases with some surplus aluminum boxes I purchased. Just fill it with a little bit of expansion foam. Put overlapping multilayer of packing shrink wrap on top. Wrap your tool with the same wrap and press it in the case before the foam hardens and voila, instant case with perfect fit. Removed the wrap from the tool but leave the wrap that is stuck to the foam. Timing and amount of foam is critical, so practice with the foam with a junk piece and a scrap box.
            It works for me.

Comment

Well, this debate has been healthy and I thank everyone for their comments. During our research and focus groups we had contractors indicate to us time and again that they would like a tool bag. Hence the direction we went. There is no other motivation or agenda here other than to provide the contractor (and you) with what was asked for.

Now, I can understand that some would prefer a hard case. We all have our own taste. However, at this time there is no plan to develop a hard case for the combo kits.

There is also no plan to offer a combo kit with a drill that does not feature the hammer mode option. We see this as adding versatility and value and understood from focus groups that contractors would view that selection in a similar manner.

Comment

It makes sense to have the hammer drill in the combo kit, however, I believe the focus group must have hammerdrilled their heads when they said they preferred the bag.
                Is there anyone reading this who actually prefers the bag?
                www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I like the bag. It makes it so much easier to tote around from job to job and is a whole lot smaller then a hard case would be. I don't know why anyone wouldn't want the feature of a hammer drill. For me it is like having 3 drills in one. My old cordless was only a 3/8 drill with no hammer to it and I was in need of a 1/2 drill and a hammer drill. Thank god I lost that old drill for a few days to allow me to purchase this new set [img]smile.gif[/img]

Dwayne

Comment

Although I am not a big fan of a bag (rather like the protection of a hard case), at least make the Rigid bag similar to what Bosch has. Recently purchased the Bosch combo kit and I must say, the bag is light years better than what Rigid offers IMHO. It has a heavy duty zipper to close the bag up to protect the tools from the elements, it opens wide so you access tools easily, and I was able to fit all five tools (drill, circular saw, recip saw, jig saw, and flashlight into the bag. Haven't tried putting in the charger in the bag, but I am sure you can fit everything inside the bag. In addition, there are several smaller pockets on the inside and the outside of the bag to store small items and such.

Was debating between the Ridgid and Bosch combo kit, but got a killer deal on the Bosch. Had a 10% off coupon and Lowes was offering a mail-in $50 gift certifcate on the combo set (think including DeWalt and Milwaukee).

Comment

Well Guys it has been fun however over the last several days I have been very busy at work and unfortunately my new Ridgid Drill gave up the ghost while I was out in the middle of nowhere. (I know I know Mark IV sounds like something a Troll would say)
                      Anyhow on to the point I’m sure some of you will understand and some will not but I just can't afford for that to happen so after a 1 and 1/2 hour trip back to civilization(one way) I decided to return my combo kit and go with old faithful Dewalt. Now I'm sure many of you will be very happy with your Ridgid cordless tools and had this happened some other day I might have given them another try, but it was just too much to soon and I just could not bring myself to stay with the Ridgid tools, a lifetime warranty won't pay the bills and in the field time is money. Anyway I guess this solves the bag problem for me.

Comment

I Have not been on this forum in a couple of weeks and just stopped by to see if anyone took my advice on these cordless tools and noticed that some of you did and most of you agree with my comment about the bag!
                        The Bag "SUCKS". I use my Ridgid 18 volt combo kit (4piece) everyday on the job and the "BAG" is starting to fall apart!!! The plastic clasps that are supposed to keep it closed are already not doing their job,and yes my tools are beating them selves up ....so I believe Ridgid is either going to have to come up with a nice hardshell case like the one Dewalt use's or be FOREVER replacing tools and bags.Also, forget about putting the charger in there as well.
                        Ridgid needs to take their head out of the sand and make the correction to an otherwise fine set of cordless tools!!!
                        Just my 2 cents,hope they're paying attention.

Comment

I don't own the Ridgid tools, but I am shopping for a combo set right now. I've gone to my local HD and 'kicked the tires' on the combo sets for a couple of weeks now, and I have to admit that the lack of a hard case is a turnoff to me. The lack of a hard shell will not be the deciding factor for me, but it would be nice to at least have the option available.

Comment

i found a hardcase from canadian tire
                            27L load and roll (58-1137-4)
                            with wheels and a handcart type handle so you can pile on other toolbox on top.

Fit the four piece set in very nicely, no tossing around.
                            Rooms for extra battery, drill bits and saw blades. No room for the double charger though.
                            Too bad it is only available in Canada.

Comment

I currently use my 3 piece combo set (R921) and I love the bag.
                              It is much smaller than a hard case and is very easy to carry around when needed.
                              I've had the 14.4v drill and the case was much larger than what I am carrying around with the combo.
                              I can also place other smaller items inside the bag in which I couldnt in the hard case.

Does the 4 piece combo set come with the same size bag as the 3 piece?
                              If it does than I can see why people are complaining that it is hard to fit all of the pieces in the bag.
                              With the 3 piece I havent had any problems getting or placing any of the tools inside the bags when needed.
                              \"You get what you pay for\"

Comment

The three and four piece combo kits utilize the same bag.

Comment

Working...
                                X