Replacement Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Battery

I have 3 ridgid tool sets and have since 2007. All have the life time warranty.This year I had another of my NiCd batteries die. When I called in to replace it I was told that I would have to accept an equivalent Li-Ion. I was sent a 1.5AH to replace my 2.5AH. AH is the batteries capacity. 1.5AH is not equivalent to 2.5AH. Since HD has taken over the warranty replacement and now Ridgid for the batteries getting replacements is a prize pain in the ... I am treated as if I am trying to get something for nothing, as if Rdigid & HD are being cheated. Ridgid is the one who came up with the Lifetime warranty. Has anyone else had a similar experience and how is it OKAY for Ridgid to replace my lifetime battery with one that will not equivalent. If they do not make a 2.5AH then it should be the next closet battery that will offer at least the same time usage to what they are replacing.

When did Home Depot take over the LSA battery replacement? I just replaced four batteries last year and called Ridgid to do so. Got them in about a week with absolutely no problems, not even a challenge.

CWS

Comment

Call this number 1‒877‒655‒5346 for the batteries tell them they sent the wrong ah they should have asked for the model and serial number to get the information.

Comment

Do you have a charger that will charge Li-Ion batteries? There is an old thread here ( https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/po...he-nicad-drill ) that mentions chargers in the last post.

Comment

i got nicad replacements as recently as a year or so ago, ridgid sent actual nicads. in my opinion they should replace the 2.5a with 3a packs if they nolonger offer ni-cads
          HEY! What does this button do?

Comment

The battery & tool replacements were originally handled by a local tool shop, it then switched to HD, tools are still handled by HD but batteries by call in. My batteries have been replaced 4 times over the last 13 years. Li-Ion are not so good outside in Phoenix during summer, it's to hot we keep them in a cooler. I have tried calling but have not got a body to answer yet. I was on hold for 45min yesterday , been sitting on hold for 30min so far today.

Comment

Yes i have the right chargers for either. All but one charger has already been replaced, and the were replaced with Li-Ion battery/NiCD chargers.

Comment

1 of the 5 NiCD they replaced last year went bad. This year they no longer make NiCDs. I would really rather have NiCDs, no heat issues.

Comment

I finally got a ridgid representative on the phone after a 45 minute wait. They will only replace our old 2.5 AH Nicd batteries with 1.5 Li-Ion battery, because they feel they are a better battery overall and therefore we only get a replacement that is of lesser storage capacity. Anybody up for a class action lawsuit.

Comment

Try to call tomorrow in the morning if they're busy you'll get an option to push one to get a call back when you are on hold. I tried to do this later in the day and did not get that option seems like it only works before noon. If they tell you the same thing then ask them what the difference between the two are as far as amp hours are concerned. Because there isn't any. If you paid for a 2 1/2 amp hour battery you should get one 2 1/2 amp hour batt does not matter if the chemistry.

Comment

I did explain to the Ridgid rep that AH is the measure of the battery storage capacity. "The storage capacity is not a consideration" "the Li-Ion battery of of better quality therefore it trumps the storage capacity, therefore 1.5AH replacement is equivalent to your original 2.5AH battery" "this is the direction I have been given". So based on this philosophy, should your 1/2" driver need to be replaced. Rigid can replace this with a 3/8" version as long as it is of better quality than your original LIFETIME WARRANTIED 1/2" impact driver.

Comment

Just so you and the readers understand, THIS is not a "warranty"; it is a "Service Agreement". The "warranty" was only three years. The "Lifetime Service Agreement" or "LSA" as is most often referred, was an agreement between the purchaser (you) and TTI that IF you registered (which you obviously did) you tool, then they would supply service or replacement for the a "Lifetime". It doesn't state exactly what that replacement might be however, or at least that I could find. So I guess, if they decide to replace your original NiCad battery with a Li-Ion, that would be within their agreement.

I am not so sure however, that a 1.5 AH battery, of any chemistry, would operate your tool longer than a 2.5 AH battery of any other chemistry. I you have a tool that draws only one Amp, then technically it would last 1.5 hours on the lesser rated and 2.5 hours on the higher rated. If the Li-Ion battery is, as they told you, "equal" in power to the Ni-Cad, then the rating should be equivalent. My experience has told me that Li-Ion batteries, though longer lasting in shelf-life and recharge ability, simply doesn't handle the heavy load of a power tool. Li-Ion batteries overheat under extreme loads and because of the internal safety factors built into them for that reason, they will shut down much quicker that a NiCad. For that reason, I don't think I would be overly happy with having a replacement that is not of equal value!

Perhaps later manufacturing and chemistry processes have changed that understanding, but I have yet to read any difference.

CWS
                        Last edited by CWSmith; 07-29-2020, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• Bob D.
                          Bob D. commented
                          Editing a comment
                          'equal' in price is more like what you get. And unless it says somewhere you will receive a battery of equal amp/hour or chemistry I would say (though I don't like it) that they have met the terms of the LSA. It's more than you'll get from anyone else.

Even if you bought a top of the line cordless tool, say a Mafell 18V cross-cut saw that retails for over $1300, you would only get a 3 year warranty on the battery.

https://www.timberwolftools.com/mafe...cutting-system

Festool also is only 3 years. I have had a Festool battery replaced within the 3 years and it was painless and fast. Sent old battery in and had the new one in about 5 days from start to finish.
                          Last edited by Bob D.; 07-29-2020, 12:55 PM.

Man don't you wish you could get tools here that were part of this system?

Even if it was just between all TTI tool brands, that would be awesome.

Imagine Milwaukee, RIDGID, AEG, and Ryobi all using the same battery.
                        You could then invest in the quality level tool you need for the job. Need a cheap, throw-away cordless circular saw that you don't care if it lasts more than the one job, buy a Ryobi, Need a tool that's not available in your primary tool line, no problem, just go buy that one tool you need from RIDGID, Ryobi, Milwaukee, or AEG.

When its time to 'upgrade' your tools your batteries go right along for the ride, happy to work with red, green, or orange tools.

And with a system like this batteries could have their own, stand alone warranty, completely separate from the tool, because they get used with various brand tools.

https://www.cordless-alliance-system.com/

In the Cordless Alliance, all tools would be bare tools, no batteries. You buy batteries IF and when you need them, and not be forced to buy another battery and/or charger you don't need.
                        Last edited by Bob D.; 07-30-2020, 02:20 PM.
                        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006
                        "?ǝɹɐ sɹǝƃuıɟ ɹnoʎ ǝɹǝɥʍ ʍouʞ noʎ op `ʍɐs ǝlqɐʇ ɐ s,ʇı"

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

• BadgerDave
                          BadgerDave commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Whatever it was that you were smoking right before you wrote that, can I have some? Wishful thinking but I doubt anything like that will ever happen.

• Bob D.
                          Bob D. commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Maybe not for TTI tools but it has happened for other tool brands. I bet it will surface here some day, but who knows when.

Comparing cost relative to the LSA is impossible today as Ridgid does not sell NiCd battery. I only wanted an equivalent capacity battery replacement or repair or even new NiCd batteries installed in my NiCd batteries carcass. If we just go by battery capacity it takes 5 Li-Ion are equivalent to 3 2.5AH batteries, disregarding heat. I would rather have the 3 2.5AH battery i want to change the batteries and stuff them back into a charger as little as possible. I don't want more charger. On the job we are often on lifts, ladder and places that are not so convenient, having go back for more batteries cost us time. Weight is not a concern. I have 9 2.5AH batteries this would be 15 1.5Li-Ions, My dual charger use to charge 2 NiCd batteries at the same time, now my replacement charger holds 2 but only charges one at a time.

Trust me when Ridgid came out with this i thought they were crazy. But if you offer something then you should live up to it, not try to find a way to cheat your customers. I also own DeWalt, Milwakee and Makita to battery tools, the tool are far superior to the Ridgid brand but a new battery is $70+ each.

Its the principal of the matter, the ridgid tool kits are not any cheaper than anybody else, but they offer the LSA, hec most people forget to register their tools, so how many of us are there really. Just live up to what you committed to, don't make it difficult, I dread it every time i have to call to get a battery replaced and even worse when i have to get a tool fixed and i have to go to the rental equipment desk at HD, pay $20, and have the HD ask me what i did to it. "Well, I used it on a job and outside, and well it was 115 ?F out so it got hot." "REally" They act like this is coming out of their paycheck.

Try installing Solar systems on a roof in Arizona or California or Nevada with Li-Ion batteries, they may or may not work, we put are Li-Ions in an ice chest with our drinks. Now reduce the run time(2.5Ah vs 1.5AH) by almost half, in the heat. Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot

Okay I have ranted enough!

Comment

• Bob D.
                          Bob D. commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Maybe rebuild any future Ni-Cad batteries at your expense and don't turn them in. I know that's not what you signed up for but you sound very disappointed with the reduced battery capacity and performance of Li-Ion batteries. It defeats the purpose of the LSA but you'll have those Ni-Cads that you say you need.

As long as the voltage is the same, replace with a larger capacity li-ion battery is no bad, or NiMH battery is also ok

Comment

Working...
                        X