X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mobile base for JP0610 jointer

If you have a mobile base under your ridgid jp0610 jointer, which one are you using and can you recommend it to me? I have to move mine around my shop and its heavy without a mobile base. The ones that Grizzly sell are either too small or too big. I do like the looks of them but....the base of the jointer is 12"X 29". Any info would be appreciated. Kenny g.

Kenny

I found the height of the Jointer uncomfortably low to use and most of the commercial mobile bases only elevate the tool by about an inch so I made my own. I simply cut 8 pieces of 2x4 to approximately 30 inches long, jointed and planned them and glued them up. I attached a locking swivel caster to each corner and I have a sturdy mobile base that was probably less then $20 dollars using up scrap lumber. It raised the height of the jointer by about 6 inches, which enables me to use it in a more upright posture, and it also provides a shelf beneath that comes in handy for storing push blocks and such.

Woodslayer

Comment

Woodslayer, When you lock the casters, do you get any movement or is the tool rock solid? If so, where and what type of casters did you get? The idea sounds great since I can get the materials quickly (without having to order a mobile base) and have it made asap. Thanks for your reply. Kenny

Comment

I made mine similar to Woodslayer except that I used two pieces of 3/4" plywood with 4 swiveling/locking casters. It raised the height 4+ inches but 6" would have been better for me. I can move the jointer around my shop with one finger and it's not at all top heavy. I didn't bolt the jointer to the base and I need to add some cleats around the base. The only other base I like as well is the Hercules Plus. These shop made bases don't look high tech. but sanded with an oil finish they look nice. Mine was made from scraps except for the casters.

Comment

I9, Where did you get your casters? The idea sounds good to me. You and woodslayer were thinking alike....thanks, Kenny

Comment

kenny g, if you have one nearby, check with a materials handling supply company. They should have all sorts of casters in stock. They are more expensive but a double locking caster, one thatlocks both the wheel and the swivel, would be better than one that just locks the wheel.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Kenny.....there is a specialty caster store in town and that's where I get most of mine. I've bought some nice ones from Hartville Tools on line and I thing Woodcraft is having a sale and some of them are double locking. None of mine are double locking but the ones I have work ok for me.

Comment

Try www.tools-for-woodworking.com for the casters. I got some 3" double locking casters and they each hold 150 pounds each. They have base casters and ones with studs.

Comment

Go to http://www.woodcraft.com and look up HTC mobile bases. I put my Ridgid jointer on the universal one and it’s great. I also used them for my router table, table saw, and band saw. The universal ones let you custom fit whatever tool; no matter what brand name. You can remove the feet from the tool and bolt the tool directly to the mobile stand. All you need is a drill (I’m assuming you have one if you own a jointer).

Comment

Guns, You bolted the jointer to the 3/4 plywood? When you lock the casters, is the jointer solid? I think I will go with that set up also. Thanks, kenny

Comment

Working...
                    X