Recommend me an oscillating tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me an oscillating tool

I want to replace an oscillating tool I bought just last year; a Dremel MM-50. What I don't like is that it uses blades that are manufacturer specific (Dremel and Bosch) and I want a tool that uses generic (and cheap) blades. Also the blade change system is slow and cumbersome. They make an adapter to use generic blades but it takes 3 hands to use it.

Locking for a corded tool, 3+ amps, with a quick blade change system that use generic blades. I am looking at Rockwell or Ridgid but open to other suggestions under $200. Tell me why you like you suggestion.

The thing I hate the most about my current multi-tool is the cumbersome tool required blade change mechanism. If I were purchasing one today it would be this one by Makita, https://www.amazon.com/Makita-TM3010.../dp/B00H6A7JA6
    The Leading Cause Of Injury In Older Men Is Them Thinking They Are Still Young Men.

Comment

I have the older version and love it. https://www.amazon.com/Genesis-GMT25...3659002&sr=8-4

It was my first multi tool and no regrets since. Lots of power and takes just about every blade on the market.

Comment

My first was a Fein MultiMaster that I bought over ten years ago. It was the only choice back then. It is corded and has toolfree blade changes so fast ad easy. Most of the tools that have emerged since their patent ran out currently have toolfree blade changing. And while not ideal most can be adapted to use a generic or other brand blade using an adapter.

I still have the Fein MMQ250 but it rarely gets used today. Used it on a couple projects then it fell by the wayside when I got the JobMax. I should hand it off to one of my Son-in-laws. I use the RIDGID JobMAx for most things that require a multi-tool. I have two consoles (their term) or powerheads as I call them, one is the 12V and the other is corded. At the time they did not offer the 18V version. I like the 12V model because the battery is small and when you're in a tight spot you don't have that clunky 18v box hanging on the end to get in the way. I think the balance of the tool is better too with the 12V battery.

Most times the 12V powerhead gives me all the power and runtime I need for a job. I'm not using it all day so not a problem and I have a couple batteries that I share between this and a RIDGID compact drill/driver. If not I can switch to the corded powerhead and keep on going with whatever attachment I have installed.

But the biggest benefit to the JobMax over other multis is the ability to change the business end of the tool from a oscillating tool to a impact, ratchet, right-angle drill, jabsaw, jigsaw, or light duty metal shear, and a few other choices. Some of those options you could replicate by buying multiple tools in other brands. Some of them are not available anywhere else. A few of them are no longer offered by RIDGID, which is too bad. But you might find used attachments on eBay or other sites.

I also have a Festool multitool. It is also corded (they make a cordless version now too) and is esentially a copy of the current Fein MultiMaster produced for Festool by Fein. They use the same blades and most of the accessories are interchangable. Festool offers some accessories that are not available on any other multitool AFAIK.

The Festool has dust collection capability (as does the Fein), plenty of power, and variable speed and they are both built with quality materials. They both come in a hard storage box that can accomodate the tool and any accessories you have.

The current model of the Fein is the FMM350.
        72295261090, Fein MultiMaster Top FMM350QSL | Quality Tools & Accessories (feintools-online.com)

The Festool is the Vecturo OSC18 (cordless)
        Festool 576590 Vecturo OSC 18 StarlockMax Cordless Multi-Tool SET 4.0Ah Kit /w Systainer? (festoolproducts.com)

They are both many dollars more than the JobMax or Dremel or just about any other brand. That doesn't make them better right off, but my first hand expeirence with both says they are quality tools and should last for decades.

All the above taken into account on a project I worked a couple years back a sub had a need to remove hundreds of square feet of cork anti-sweat insulation off the exterior of some very large condenser waterboxes. They bought all the Rockwell Sonicrafters available in the local HD, I don't remember the model but I think they were about $60 each at the time and came with a bunch of blades. Their guys went to town using the scraper blade and removed all the insulation very fast. Those tools got used around the clock by both shifts for about 3 days.

The Sonicrafter held up well. I don't think one of the tools failed, never heard of one giving any trouble anyway. Rockwell amkes a few different models of varying power and features, so if you're interested check them all out.

There are YT videos reviewing all of these tools available no doubt. I can only speak to these three that i own and the one other that I have seen in action.

Comparison of some multitools

Edit: I forgot that Ryobi (green-headed step-sister to RIDGID) makes a console (maybe two models) called the JobPlus that can use the RIDGID attachments. So if you are into the Ryobi battery platform that might influence your choice.

18V ONE+™ JOBPLUS™ WITH MULTI-TOOL ATTACHMENT | RYOBI Tools
        Last edited by Bob D.; 10-26-2020, 06:34 AM.
        "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006
        "?ǝɹɐ sɹǝƃuıɟ ɹnoʎ ǝɹǝɥʍ ʍouʞ noʎ op `ʍɐs ǝlqɐʇ ɐ s,ʇı"

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1p...qcZKHyrqKhikFA

----

Comment

There is a topic area dedicated to the JobMax here if you haven't seen it.

JobMax 3 Amp Multi-Tool - RIDGID Forum | Plumbing, Woodworking and Power Tools

----

Comment

Well I made a decision and purchase. I first went to Harbor Freight and looked at there top of the line Hercules corded; did not like the weight. Went to Lowes and looked at the Rockwell Sonicrafter; did not like the blade locking system. Went to Home Depot and looked at the Ridgid JobMax. Liked the weight, balance and the locking system. WINNER! Price was $79 less my 10% discount, $71 plus tax. Took it home and made a few test cuts and liked what I felt. Loved the blade locking system and the ease to rotate the blade to any angle. Signed up for the LSA on line but I have read mixed reviews on that. Also looked at some of the changeable heads for the JobMax, considering the jig saw (although I own 2 different jig saws).

Comment

Congrats. Did you get the corded, 12v, or the 18v model?

The jigsaw works well enough for the price. It's not like a full size Bosch or anything like that but it's alright.
              The 3/8" ratchet head I use a lot. Might not be something you need but it works. The right-angle drill is nice for tight spots if you don't already have one. The jabsaw is another that I use a lot. Uses regular sawzall blades and easy to use one handed. Most of the accessory heads are between 40 and 60 bucks, so not overpriced to my way of thinking for what they are. The shear is something I use too for cutting sheet goods like gasket material and linoleum, sheet metal, even used it to cut some patterns I made from cardboard. Some of those only show up occasionally, so be ready to buy one if you see it and have a need down the road.

----

Comment

I got the corded model. I liked the weight and balance better. Other than drill motors I like corded tools.

Comment

Like Bob I bought years ago a Fein MultiMaster 250 Watt and have since purchased a 18v Octane JobMax and have purchased all the attachments except the ratchet which RIDGID discontinued some time ago.

When looking online for the ratchet the cheapest I found where around $ 170.00 yikes. I happened to stumble upon a used 12V bare tool with a ratchet for buy me now on E-Bay $ 60.00 and something like $ 25.00 to ship ..... so I bought it . I just can' figure why there so much (ratchet ) .. I do like the 12V because of it's compact size over the 18V and use my 12V batteries from my drill/driver impact set but much prefer using the Fein because there's almost no vibration.

Comment

I have the Bosch. It's corded but a beast. I hear the cheaper blades die quicker, so I'm usually getting the Bosch blades. I think I bought that one because that is what they use on This Old House or Ask This Old House. Just wish I could afford more Festool devices. Wife got me the CXS small drill for Christmas two years ago. It is amazing.

Comment

• BadgerDave
                      BadgerDave commented
                      Editing a comment
                      +1 on Bosch blades. My experience with the bargain basement blades is that they do dull significantly faster and end up costing more overall in the long run.

• Bob D.
                      Bob D. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I use the Bosch blades too. I think their jigsaw blades are some of the best. Festool and Mafell are good but Bosch is the best value for price and performance.

https://mafell-users-forum.freeforum...aw-blades-poll

I watched a Project Farm video where he tested oscillating tool blades. The winner was a brand called EZARC. I bought some on Amazon but not seriously tried them yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joVfNnbweYY

Comment

Rockwell has a real easy blade swap and variable speeds. I tried to kill it cutting plants out of the backyard fence but it's too tough.

Comment

I would recommend two brands.

Ridgid jobmax for price and versatility, as well as being OIS compliant so any blade would work, and the jobmax can have different heads for different tasks which is an advantage for DIYers.

or the Bosch Starlock Plus. It's more expensive, not only the tool but the blades because you cannot use OIS blades only Starlock blades which are more expensive. However the 3D interface of Starlock not only makes blade changes very easy - the easiest blade change or blade adjustment I have seen - no tool no turning no tightening, but also the interface allows for maximum power transfer which means faster cutting. It does cut significantly faster.

Comment

Update. Appears I have made a mistake. Having used the Ridgid Jobmax a few times, I hate it. It vibrates like hell to the point it hurts my hands. It has a variable speed trigger instead of an off/on switch. Makes it hard to hold in awkward positions and to keep the speed constant. I am going back to my Dremel.
                          Relooking at the Rockwell Sonicrafter F80 although I am not in love with the blade change mechanism.

Comment

Brought the Ridgid JobMax back to Home Depot and got a full refund. Using the Dremel until I make up my mind between the Makita or the Sonicrafter F80. I think I will put one of them on my wish list and let the wife buy for Christmas.

Comment

Working...
                            X