Power tools - Chinese made & high retail prices

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power tools - Chinese made & high retail prices

Since Rigid power tools are manufactured in China by One World Technologies, Inc. And since Chinese labor costs are some of the lowest in the world. Why are the retail prices so high on Rigid power tools???

Whats your point?
    Just about everything now is made in China. Computers,TV's, clothing, Tools ect.

Nobody with the exception of Milwaukee makes some items in America. Cordless drills;

Milwaukee- Czechloslovakian Republic
    Dewalt- Mexico
    Hitachi- China
    Makita- China
    Bosch- Germany

Comment

Well, there is Chinese and Chinese----HF and Cummins are also made in China and they are generally crappola. What really counts is the standards the mfg. holds the Chinese factory to. I think it's more a question of----if you're paying top dollar for Ridgid cordless tools (priced in the same bracket as other brand names), why is it that Ridgid tools are always breaking down?---as witnessed by all the posts on this forum. Sure, there are many people who haven't had a problem----it's called quality control and what percentage of faults a company is willing to accept. By the same token, you hardly hear anything about Ridgid corded hand tools, which seem to be made in other places.
      Dave

Comment

Point well made....The cordless tools have had some issues.

Though have you noticed all the complainers have new ID's or have less than 5 posts. Could they be competitors that are unhappy with Ridgids entry and gains of market share. If you really look at how TTI sales and stock has performed they are gaining on their competirors.

Here is the caviat.. there is no other forum where you can complain and remain anonymous.

Dewalt would more than likely have more complaints than Ridgid. They have no public forum to complain. "I like their tools some good some bad."

Milwaukee will have hardly any because you have to list your real name to log on. They also have an administrator delete any complaints on their sites. "It would take an act of God to pry away my Sawzall and Magnum hole shooter."

I think its great that Ridgid will let people throw their product "under the bus" if you don't like them or think there crap.

The tools can't be considered too crappy or all the woodworking sites and consumer report would have trashed them by now. I suggest our buddy who made the original post should go out and buy a competing product and NOT Ridgid.

[ 12-05-2004, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: paul v. ]

Comment

Paul----I really think competitors have better things to do with their time. And what do you mean you can't be annonymous on other sites----none require any disclosures that identify the person.

As to people posting with low post #s----the other side of the coin is nothing gets people motivated like feeling they've been ripped off.

But, finally, you're arguement falls apart if you consider the almost total lack of complaints about the corded tools. Why wouldn't competitors organize to dis' them as well?

Any as far as reviews----Consumer Reports rated their 18v kit at like #7, behind every major brand---the only one that was lower than Ridgid was Ryobi, which got a best-buy simply because their price was so much cheaper.
          Dave

Comment

These are not ment to be intellectual arguments of facts, merely observations. Its a good thing my skin is thick.

You failed to mention;
            12vlt Drill ranked #1 among 12 vlt in Consumer Reports
            14vlt Drill ranked #2 amoung 14 vlt competitors in Consumer reports

Comment

Paul---shouldn't be a quesiton of thick skin or not. Just different ways of adding up the same facts.

Hey----didn't forget the other reviews, anymore than most others forget the one I cited. But, good reviews or not, with all the battery and charger complaints on the Ridgids, and not seeing anywhere close to the same frequency, on other boards, against other brands, with exception of Craftsman or Ryobi, well, considering the wide selection of cordless tools in the same price range, I'd pick a tool without the questionable quality issues. Yes, they all get some bad reports, but you'd have to admit (unless you want to keep on with your conspiricy theory) that Ridgid has way more than their share of problems. It's sort of like trying to deny that Ridgid didn't have a supply problem on bandsaw riser kits---- Gad---that's been all over the place.
              Dave

Comment

Well I don't believe the "magic bullet" JFK theory either. No I'm not implying that there is vast wing-nut conspiracy to bring down Ridgid. Just the one post guys do not contribute any real information by dropping bombs.

**Ridgid quality control issues are real and customer services issues are poor. That is evident from posters like me and yourself.

The only point I wanted to convey is that quality from China is getting better. In fact we might have had the same type of conversation about Japan in 1970. The original poster suggested that everything made there is poor and workers are treated poorly. I have many high tech devices that work well and I'm sure many American companies making products in China have high standards.

Don't knock Harbor Freight. I have a 4" angle grinder delivered for $26 thats works well.

[ 12-05-2004, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: paul v. ]

Comment

And Paul----this isn't an arguement about Chinese stuff all being junk----I never said it. What I did say is that the quality can vary greatly depending on the standards, specs and requirements that the individual mfg. holds Chinese factories to.

But, your angle grinder makes my point, in a way----you bought it for what---1/2 to 1/3rd the cost of a name brand. If it's bad, you take it back and HF will give you a new one. Maybe it falls apart, maybe it doesn't---the point is, you paid a price with certain expectations. Now, do you think paying top dollar (by that---same price as other name-brand products) for a Ridgid cordless drill and having all the battery, charger and switch problems reported----is that performance closer to HF or Makita?

As to post numbers---again---phooey! The guy who started the thread on 3650 arbor problem only had 13 posts and his gripe has proven to be legit.
                  Dave

Comment

Ridgid tools are more money because they are sold at Home Depot. I used to work in the tool crib in HD and they made 2x-3x more on a Ridgid tool then they would on a Dewalt. They make them sightly cheaper than their competitors, just so people will buy them. As for the quality, I know many of the corded tools are made by Metabo. They are proven designs and from the ones that I have used have been rock solid. The cordless is still a newer design. I know tti has experience with Ryobi and the Craftsman pro line, but come on, that's not saying much. I would look for a huge jump in quality in the next series of Ridgid cordless especially after the merger with Milwaukee. Just for the record I am not a big Ridgid fan, I have a few and have used a few. I mostly stick with Milwaukee and Porter Cable.

Comment

Originally posted by paul v.:
                      Whats your point?
                      Just about everything now is made in China. Computers,TV's, clothing, Tools ect.

Nobody with the exception of Milwaukee makes some items in America. Cordless drills;

Milwaukee- Czechloslovakian Republic
                      Dewalt- Mexico
                      Hitachi- China
                      Makita- China
                      Bosch- Germany
                      Hmmmm, my Makita 6337DWDE 14.4 volt drill was made in a place called Buford, GA. Is that a remote province in China? It doesn't sound like "Bejing" or any of the other big Chinese cities I've heard of.

Comment

My appologies to the great people of Buford Georgia!

I should have said saws for Makita

http://www.toolsauctions.com/all_the...ol_recalls.php

"The saw's housing is blue-green and the name "Makita" appears on the metal blade guard and silver nameplate on the motor housing. The recalled saws were manufactured in China."

Comment

Paul---I'd stay away from Buford for a while.
                          Dave

Comment

Working...
                          X