Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The warannty that ridge put out is to get you to buy the tools with little worry,and to give them a chance which is a good thing for ridge. i think the tools will hold up after the bugs are worked out.now after this year they are going to have to compete with milwaukees 5 year warranty which is the best in the bus. right now.

Comment

>I still went out today and rode 150 miles to the nearest HD and back and purchased five more of them. <

Why not save some time,discomfort,gasoline,and valuable time and just buy online at Homedepot.com or on ebay?

Comment

Is that a sales plug I see.

heh heh

Jake

Comment

This is funny. All this banter about what a warranty means and nobody his hit the nail on the head yet.

A warranty, my friends, is a marketing ploy or gimmic, any way you slice it. "Hey this guy's a troll!" Nope, in fact I'm a loyal orange drill user! I love my Ridgid tools. But I'm aware of what my warranty is...and what it says.

This is a limited lifetime warranty against "Manufacturers Defects." This is not a service contract for tool abuse. Do not abuse or misuse your tools and they will not need service. However if there is a defective part or tool, they will honor the warranty and repair the tool, thereby ensuring that you have a working tool for life, if you do not abuse it.

Why is it a marketing gimmic? Two reasons:
          1. Because people interpret a "limited warranty" as a "service contract", when in fact they are very different things.

2. Because studies show that only 10% of users ever cash in on a warranty.

That's right, only 10% of the few thousand customers who purchase Ridgid tools between now and January 31, 2003 will ever bring their tool to a Ridgid service center. Only 10% of the few thousand people who bought a Ridgid cordless tool will actually wear out the battery and cash in on the "batteries for life" promo.

So, does a lifetime warranty mean the company will stand by the quality of the tool for life? No, if they did, then you'd be able to get this warranty after January of next year.

What it means is that Ridgid Tool company is willing to sacrifice a little profit to make the decision to try a new tool, one without risk.
          -Ridgid Man #1
          "Wear your safety glasses."

Comment

Originally posted by RIDGID MAN #1:
            This is a limited lifetime warranty against "Manufacturers Defects." This is not a service contract for tool abuse. Do not abuse or misuse your tools and they will not need service.
            And you forgot normal wear items. If you honestly think that mechanical items don't wear out you're drinking some silly juice. It's mechanical. Treat it at nice as you want. But if you use it enough it wears out. Batteries, motors, brushes, etc. It happens to be physics.

Originally posted by RIDGID MAN #1:
            2. Because studies show that only 10% of users ever cash in on a warranty.

That's right, only 10% of the few thousand customers who purchase Ridgid tools between now and January 31, 2003 will ever bring their tool to a Ridgid service center. Only 10% of the few thousand people who bought a Ridgid cordless tool will actually wear out the battery and cash in on the "batteries for life" promo.
            You've read one too many Consumer Reports magazines. There's a distinct difference in someone at Best Buy getting me to pay up to 40% of my purchase price on a TV for an extended 3 year warranty "To protect my purchase" and what Ridgid is offering. There not even close in comparison. This must be your first cordless tool if you honestly think that only 10% of us are going to cash in on the battery warranty. Don't mean to sound like an arse but how many people do you know who have owned a cordless drill that didn't need replacement batteries with moderate usage.

I agree your idea that the Lifetime Warranty is a marketing tactic but that's about it. There's no gimmick or ploy to what I read.

Comment

Working...
            X