Cordless Drills

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordless Drills

I wanted to post my observations. I'm in market for new drills, and seriously considered the RIDGID because of warranty, and Ridgid used to have a good name but I'm in the wait and see mode. But Anyway, lets talk Drill. I went to test out the Ridgid drills today at Home Depot. I have read past posts but wanted to feel the tool. I like the power and the feel of the tool. They had a play with it display of Dewalt and Ridgid to drill through wood with cordlesses. That stoping clutch drives me nuts on the Ridgid. The dewalt also has a clutch that stops the drill but doesn't have the clicking sound. I can't imagine clicking metal to a stop would be a good thing for drills longevity.

As for the warranty, I have seen enough of Home Depot to know that they dont' service their tools, just sell them. Sears services all the tools they sell on site. Home depot refers you to the company for warranty.

If Home Depot had any history of servicing tools or even keeping accessories on hand compliment their tools such as table saw accessories for Bandsaw / Talbe saw, I would see some service. But they have historically directed to customer service of tool company. Since I'm fairly confident the tool will eventually have problems because of this clicking clutch, I'm going with the DeWalt. I know what I'm getting and believe that to be a better purchase because of it.

Jake

Glad to see your in the "wait and see mode" at the begining of your post and then by the end of of it you have actually have talked you self into a dewalt. My God. I can't for the life of me figure out why you would post such a wishy washy message. Are you in the wait and see mode or have you talked yourself into Dewalt? I'm a little annoyed by your walk by comments. I have the three piece combo and think it blows my dewalt set away. I have both and have used both. Unless you have used it in a real situation don't bother running down something you haven't tried.
    nuff said

Comment

nothing wishy washy about my post. You are just looking for reasons to nit pick people that don't like the tools you bought. I am in wait and see mode on what becomes of Ridgid. I am currently a purchaser of DeWalt.

As for your being happy with your new tools congratulations. I have no problem with that. The purpose of this forum is for open honest feedback. You like I don't. That knocking on the chuck or brake would drive me nuts.

If this site is just for Ridgid Lovers, then it wouldn't be all that helpful as objective information for folks to evaluate their tools? Would it.

Jake

Comment

The only problem I have is that you call a walk by at home depot an evaluation.

Comment

And who is going to service your DeWalt? BTW, what is a new battery worth in a couple of years?

Comment

Lets not get defensive here guys.

I can't believe the antagonism I see on this site towards people that don't want to purchase ridgid. I try to have neutral product conversations with the intention of helping people out. Frankly I don't care if people buy ridgid or not. But this is a ridgid forum and I learned something about one of their product that I wanted to share to potential buyers.

Nobody's going to service my DeWalt. But they have a reputation that I know what I'm getting. I am a big delta fan, but they have had some issues as of late with their foreign operations, so I'm not purchasing their product now. I probably will in the future but not now. Ridgid made a big change in servicing company from Emmerson to Ryobi.

I found something that I do not like about one of their products, that I feel a potential buyer should know about. You are welcome to dispute the fact that it's not a problem on my post if you like. But the fact is it's a feature that people may benefit from being aware of. If you read the first part of my review, it was good for ridgid.

Jake

Comment

I am amazed at how much of a deal people are making about this warranty. Let's just assume that the warranty will be honored, and in a convenient way ( a large assumption, granted ). Are you going to want a 10 year old drill to be fixed ? If you could magically snap your fingers and get your tools back from 10 years ago, would they still meet your needs ? I would bet that since battery technology is advancing so much, these drills ( and other tools ) will be obsolete in 5 or 6 years. Granted, using a tool under warranty for 5 or 6 years is pretty good, but don't kid yourselves that you are going to be tightening the screws on your wheelchair in the year 2025 with your Ridgid Drill from 2003 !

Comment

Bethnic2,I totaly agree. Batteries and chargers will become so advanced within the next 5 to 6 years that i would by a new drill anyway, even if my current drill was fine. I was also going to get the Dewalt XRP 18v hammerdrill, until the New Ridgid power tools came out. I went to the local H-D, and I thought the Ridgid was a superior drill. I will now be picking up my new Ridgid 18v x2 drill/driver. I love the orange!

Comment

I think the lifetime warranty is important. It means the company is willing to stand by their product, to support it for the future. You cant say that about any other tool manufacturer.

If Ford gave you a lifetime warranty on a SUV, you mean you wouldn't have it replaced or fixed for free and drive it 5 years from now, even though technology changed a lot in autos in that time period?????

Yea right!

Comment

Lifetime warranty does not mean what you inferred. It means they need a gimick to get quickly get their tools into a very competitive market. And I think it's a good way. From reading this board, it is working.

If it was a company standing behind their tools, it would not be a 3 month period. And if ford put that kindof warranty, it would be bankrupt. HONDA on the other hand doesn't have that warranty and doesn't need to. I am on my 2nd Honda Accord. Last one had 175,000 miles with original clutch on manual transmission. I sold it for $3,000 still running, with only repairs being a cylinder on clutch and new exhaust pipes & muffler, and a radiator ( we have alot of salt in chicago.. lol )

Hyundai / or Kia have 100,000 mile warranty. My friend bought one thinking he got a deal and spend the next few years in the shop. He said would never buy another one. His evaluation - warrantied piece of crap.

Just a perspective

Jake

Comment

Resonse was to Ron Stevens post, and was appropriate =)

Friday night banter, isn't it enterataining..

Jake

Comment

Thats what's great about America.
                        Free Country

Merry Christmas if we don't get to banter again soon

Jake

Comment

A warranty has absolutely nothing to do with the life expectancy of a product. It is a calculated decision by a company to make a statement that they think will bring in more revenue than it will cost them to honor it. Sure Kia can offer a 100,000 mile warranty because very few people actually keep their cars for 100,000 miles. They know that that warranty will get people into the showrooms, and into thier cars, and it will generate more revenue than it costs later on down the road to service the few cars that are actually owned by the original owners. Just like I don't think its a valid assumption to assume a Kia is a better car than a Mercedes because of its warranty, I don't think its a valid assumption to assume a Ridgid is better than a DeWalt ( or Milwaukee, Bosch, Makita, etc )just because it has a longer warranty. It just means that the number crunchers at Ridgid knew it would generate a lot of buzz and sales which they needed for a new line of tools. If they really thought the products would last, the lifetime warranty offer would be available whenever you bought your tools, not just until December 31st ( or whatever the actual cut off date is )

Comment

To Ron Stevens,

Ford SUV--$40,000
                            Ridgid Drill--$260

Thats why I'll still be driving my Explorer in 5 years.

Comment

I am surprised that so much buzz is being made over the warranty! You shouldn't by a tool because of the warranty, you should buy it if you like it feels. Think of the warranty as an extra

Comment

Working...
                              X